• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm 90 % sure I'm an INFJ, but I want someone's opinion.

Wanonymous

MBTI Type
INFJ
So I'm pretty sure I'm an INFJ, but I want to see what anyone else thinks. Reasons I think I am an INFJ:

Ni really speaks to me: This function...I love it. It is one I really identify with. Ni to me is a subconscious process that gathers information that the user has been exposed to and stores it. It has this magical ability to take bits and pieces of info and put them together for you, sometimes in the form of a sharp image. It just needs something to stimulate this sudden convergence of information. I think I am using this because I can skip ahead and immediately get what someone is talking about and is going to talk about by just hearing a few words. I get "told" with sudden images that appear in my mind. Everything is interconnected. Or when learning something I collect bits and pieces and then suddenly some new info creates a strong feeling in me and lets me understand a topic much better, it's like I connected everything automatically after that one new piece of info..that one stimuli was enough to get from the draft to the clearer picture. It's very energizing to get this feeling.

Fe: I'll admit I'm no expert when it comes to this function, but I do think I use it. I have always been very expressive and I love showing passion and emotion when speaking. I have a very animated face which makes it hard to hide how I feel. Unless I'm really fatigued..then I'll just seem cold haha. I'm easily affected by the moods of the people around me. I get energized by a happy mood, people's positive and happy mood energizes me. I find it hard not to care about people's problems because I feel it's my duty to help them and I sometimes automatically get the same feeling that they give off. Hmm...what else...I have always been attracted to people who show they're passionate, who are expressive when speaking, who show emotion when speaking. I get sort of annoyed by people who have an expressionless face when speaking, like they're bored or something or have no feelings (I know of course that this is not true!). I think if people can just bother to understand one another then we'll all live more harmoniously, because it's (generally) easier to respect that which you understand.

I know I am an introvert as my primary focus is on my own thoughts and my own inner world. That's my preference and it has been all my life I think.
I can now conclude that, although I can relate somewhat to most other functions too, I am an INFJ

Question: Something that is difficult to tell is if I'm using Fi more than Fe. I am religious and build my life around my religion, so I have trained myself to check any decision I make with my religion, as it involves most aspects of life. Though I don't decide what's right and wrong based on how I feel. I look for an objective way of doing so, through religion, research, etc. In other words, I don't trust myself as I trust the opinions of others, because I know others can have more knowledge and I know I am prone to mistakes, so I believe decisions should be made using the best resources and not primarily how I feel / or what I think.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
You sound ENFPish to me, even your description of Ni sounded like Ne. I wouldn't be surprised if the abstract, introspective nature of Ne is making you think you're an introvert. :shrug:

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey there,

I would look into Fi, and FeNi NiFe combinations look similar to Fi and could be mistaken. :)

Wanonymous

MBTI Type
INFJ
You sound ENFPish to me, even your description of Ni sounded like Ne. I wouldn't be surprised if the abstract, introspective nature of Ne is making you think you're an introvert. :shrug:
How did my description of Ni sound like Ne? Ni is subconscious and converging, which was what I described. Ne is conscious, broad and diverging, nothing like my description. I'm also quite sure I'm an introvert, given the way I described introvsion and that it applies to me.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=35533]Wanonymous[/MENTION] your description of Ni really does sound like Ne. Ne is about collecting information and putting it together to create a whole new meaning or to understand a concept. Ne is about connecting external ideas together to create a meaningful whole. Ni is about inner images, symbols that live inside of one's mind and are often completly torn out from the external reality. Ni creates meaning for its own inner understanding of concepts and symbolizm and it does not work with external ideas and information. It sees an information and looks for an internal idea within the self to relate to it.
As introverted perception (Pi) dominants, INFJs are constantly busy with the private inner world of subjective association of signs and symbols with personalized meaning. Both Pi functions (Ni and Si) are concerned with generating internalized impressions of past experience--in this way they are quite similar.
Often, the way a particular piece of information strikes them is simply too dependent upon the assumptions inherent in Ni's worldview to make its significance meaningful to anyone else.
That may sound similar to Ne on the surface, but it's not--Ne is picking up a lot of different events and ideas at once and looking for common threads between them; Ni is picking one idea or event at a time and examining ("from a clean slate", as Yukawa says) every angle of every component of that one thing in order to find any as-of-yet untried interpretations that might cause us to view the whole issue in an entirely new light.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How did my description of Ni sound like Ne? Ni is subconscious and converging, which was what I described. Ne is conscious, broad and diverging, nothing like my description. I'm also quite sure I'm an introvert, given the way I described introvsion and that it applies to me.

Cognitive introversion and extroversion is not to be confused with social introversion and extroversion

I don't really know you so obviously I'm no expert, but you do sound xNFP to me, perhaps INFP.

Wanonymous

MBTI Type
INFJ
[MENTION=35533]Wanonymous[/MENTION] your description of Ni really does sound like Ne. Ne is about collecting information and putting it together to create a whole new meaning or to understand a concept. Ne is about connecting external ideas together to create a meaningful whole. Ni is about inner images, symbols that live inside of one's mind and are often completly torn out from the external reality. Ni creates meaning for its own inner understanding of concepts and symbolizm and it does not work with external ideas and information. It sees an information and looks for an internal idea within the self to relate to it.
But isn't that exactly what I was describing? What I said was when I try to understand something, the fact that I am trying to understand something triggers something in my mind that suddenly connects the dots, but it's not like I consciously connect the dots, it happens suddenly at a rapid speed and I get the final product. To fully understand how these connections happened I have to logically write down how I think the connections happened. These connection are made from information, ideas and experiences I ALREADY had, from the subjective. It's not like I am consciously looking from many angles and seeing different meanings and connecting them. Isn't that Ni?

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I wish I could help you but I think I'm completely confused about functions and I no longer feel confident in my MBTI type. I've had to try to completely disconnect myself from the picture so that I can try to look at it with fresh eyes. This hasn't created any clarity yet for me but hoping something will click.

Oftentimes, our knowledge of functions is tainted with rampant stereotypes and misinformation. It's really important to detach and try to be objective imo. Most people who settle on a typing profile quickly are probably wrong in at least one system.

Wanonymous

MBTI Type
INFJ
I wish I could help you but I think I'm completely confused about functions and I no longer feel confident in my MBTI type. I've had to try to completely disconnect myself from the picture so that I can try to look at it with fresh eyes. This hasn't created any clarity yet for me but hoping something will click. Oftentimes, our knowledge of functions is tainted with rampant stereotypes and misinformation. It's really important to detach and try to be objective imo. Most people who settle on a typing profile quickly are probably wrong in at least one system.
I agree. It takes time, and I spent quite some time trying to understand the functions. I even read the book "My true type" by Dr. A.J.Drenth to help me out, and it's one of the reasons I disagree so much about my description being Ne. What I have written is only a brief way of concluding that I am an INFJ, but it does not in any way represent all the reading and introspection needed to be able to structure such a conclusion.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I agree. It takes time, and I spent quite some time trying to understand the functions. I even read the book "My true type" by Dr. A.J.Drenth to help me out, and it's one of the reasons I disagree so much about my description being Ne. What I have written is only a brief way of concluding that I am an INFJ, but it does not in any way represent all the reading and introspection needed to be able to structure such a conclusion.

Personally, despite what people say about me, I'm not entirely sure I'm an Fe user. I do not have that sincere warmth that NFJs have and I'm know for having unpopular opinions, so that was one of the triggering doubts that has led me to research the functions on my own in the most subjective way possible. I've also gotten into typing by micro-expressions. I haven't researched it enough to decide how I feel about it, but it certainly is fascinating.

beloiseau

Personally, despite what people say about me, I'm not entirely sure I'm an Fe user. I do not have that sincere warmth that NFJs have and I'm know for having unpopular opinions, so that was one of the triggering doubts that has led me to research the functions on my own in the most subjective way possible. I've also gotten into typing by micro-expressions. I haven't researched it enough to decide how I feel about it, but it certainly is fascinating.

I wouldn't say INFJs are "warm", even with aux Fe. It is a mainly a stereotype based on the assumption that an Fe user will automatically have to be "warm". I've read a lot about how INFJs tend to come off as a lot more cold and distant (especially when they are around people they aren't used to or don't care for). It makes sense considering their inferior Se and how INFJs tend to have a difficult time knowing or controlling how they come off to others (something that contrasts tremendously with dominate Si). I've noticed that Si doms are typically extremely composed people with a lot more physical fluidity and symmetry (in how they sit and carry themselves). Since the ISFJ has a lot more physical self awareness they can easily present themselves in a warmer manner to demonstrate their aux Fe.

Having unpopular opinions doesn't mean you don't use Fe. The function is basically about how willing you are to compromise those opinions to keep the peace--how willing you are to recognize others' perspectives and opinions and respect them (usually when Ni-Fe, not Si-Fe). That's not to say an Fi user can't recognize or respect opposing opinions, though. Do you re-examine your mindset when new information or varying opinions that present valid points are introduced to your database of knowledge and perspectives, or do you become resistant/defensive in order to not shatter your world view? Dominate Ni can easily create strong convictions within people but not without the subconscious process of examining ALL perspectives/information. The difference between Si and Ni opinions (not considering Fi due to the completely different process because of it being a judging function, not a perceiving) is that Si opinions are based upon knowledge gained through subjective perception of an experience and the unwillingness to budge because those perceptions are what guides them through life, while Ni opinions are based on subjective perceptions of knowledge gained through unconscious observations of others (Ni and inferior Se). An Si user will budge when they experience it for themselves. An Ni user will budge when they have sorted through new information subconsciously (which they always do). That's why Ni users don't tend to adjust their convictions right away; their brains need time to process and adjust.

Si doms trust their opinions that are based upon personal experience because they trust their dominant function. Ni users trust their opinions/assumptions based upon subconscious consideration of observations because they trust their dominant function.

Fe (in accordance to formed opinions) is purely how naturally you are able to evaluate how expressing those opinions will affect the people around you, and after assessing choosing whether you should stand up/argue for your views (in an environment that you know choosing to do so will not cause turmoil) or keep the peace. Fi isn't focused on the peace as much as they are their personal judgement and willingness to fight for it, disregarding the social dynamic consequences.

Wanonymous

MBTI Type
INFJ
Telling me my type is wrong without trying to explain why is not helpful. If you think I've explained something wrongly, then correct me. Don't make statements without backing them up please, it's poor argumentation. I believe I am right, but I am definitely open to changing my mind given the number of people who disagree with me.

I wouldn't say INFJs are "warm", even with aux Fe. It is a mainly a stereotype based on the assumption that an Fe user will automatically have to be "warm". I've read a lot about how INFJs tend to come off as a lot more cold and distant (especially when they are around people they aren't used to or don't care for). It makes sense considering their inferior Se and how INFJs tend to have a difficult time knowing or controlling how they come off to others (something that contrasts tremendously with dominate Si). I've noticed that Si doms are typically extremely composed people with a lot more physical fluidity and symmetry (in how they sit and carry themselves). Since the ISFJ has a lot more physical self awareness they can easily present themselves in a warmer manner to demonstrate their aux Fe.

Having unpopular opinions doesn't mean you don't use Fe. The function is basically about how willing you are to compromise those opinions to keep the peace--how willing you are to recognize others' perspectives and opinions and respect them (usually when Ni-Fe, not Si-Fe). That's not to say an Fi user can't recognize or respect opposing opinions, though. Do you re-examine your mindset when new information or varying opinions that present valid points are introduced to your database of knowledge and perspectives, or do you become resistant/defensive in order to not shatter your world view? Dominate Ni can easily create strong convictions within people but not without the subconscious process of examining ALL perspectives/information. The difference between Si and Ni opinions (not considering Fi due to the completely different process because of it being a judging function, not a perceiving) is that Si opinions are based upon knowledge gained through subjective perception of an experience and the unwillingness to budge because those perceptions are what guides them through life, while Ni opinions are based on subjective perceptions of knowledge gained through unconscious observations of others (Ni and inferior Se). An Si user will budge when they experience it for themselves. An Ni user will budge when they have sorted through new information subconsciously (which they always do). That's why Ni users don't tend to adjust their convictions right away; their brains need time to process and adjust.

Si doms trust their opinions that are based upon personal experience because they trust their dominant function. Ni users trust their opinions/assumptions based upon subconscious consideration of observations because they trust their dominant function.

Fe (in accordance to formed opinions) is purely how naturally you are able to evaluate how expressing those opinions will affect the people around you, and after assessing choosing whether you should stand up/argue for your views (in an environment that you know choosing to do so will not cause turmoil) or keep the peace. Fi isn't focused on the peace as much as they are their personal judgement and willingness to fight for it, disregarding the social dynamic consequences.

I related to everything you've said about Fe despite me always identifying as a Fi-dom. Another person thought I seemed very Fe before too. Great, now I'm starting to doubt my type again. Who even am I anymore? *slips into existential crisis mode*

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

You seem to have a fairly good understanding of the functions. Have you seen any of the videos here? YouTube

There is an ENTJ on that page who describes functions very well, albeit maybe a tad fast for me, but he is just about the only person who can make this shit clear to me.

Anyway, I have for awhile been wondering if I am actually a Fi-dom; I always test this way, I find that Fe rubs me the wrong way, I find that Fe feels fake, I watch those around me act superficially for the sake of harmony and it leads me to make judgements about their authenticity, and I hold convictions that are very strong to me that are often is stark contrast to those of society as a whole. Generally, I will keep them to myself if minor or moderate because I don't see much point in getting worked up about things and I respect that other people have differing perspectives and opinions. However, when someone crosses a line that I find unacceptable, I will certainly voice my opinion and stand my ground. In fact, upon reflection, that is probably the #1 way I have gotten myself into trouble over the years. It's generally revolving around defending an individual, not society as a whole.

Anyhow, people have very serious misconception about the functions and one CANNOT TYPE AN INDIVIDUAL BASED ON ACTIONS, because it is the process that determines functions and oftentimes opposing functions can look exactly the same on the outside.

I am leaving my type as INFJ until I feel I have a stronger understanding of the functions, which I feel will be the case after a watch a few more of said ENTJ's informative videos.

caspar

MBTI Type
INTJ
I can't really help you, but I wanted to point out that it's important to differentiate between what you want to be and what you really are.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't really help you, but I wanted to point out that it's important to differentiate between what you want to be and what you really are.

Pretty much this.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I'm pretty sure I'm an INFJ, but I want to see what anyone else thinks. Reasons I think I am an INFJ:

Ni really speaks to me: This function...I love it. It is one I really identify with. Ni to me is a subconscious process that gathers information that the user has been exposed to and stores it. It has this magical ability to take bits and pieces of info and put them together for you, sometimes in the form of a sharp image. It just needs something to stimulate this sudden convergence of information. I think I am using this because I can skip ahead and immediately get what someone is talking about and is going to talk about by just hearing a few words. I get "told" with sudden images that appear in my mind. Everything is interconnected. Or when learning something I collect bits and pieces and then suddenly some new info creates a strong feeling in me and lets me understand a topic much better, it's like I connected everything automatically after that one new piece of info..that one stimuli was enough to get from the draft to the clearer picture. It's very energizing to get this feeling.

Fe: I'll admit I'm no expert when it comes to this function, but I do think I use it. I have always been very expressive and I love showing passion and emotion when speaking. I have a very animated face which makes it hard to hide how I feel. Unless I'm really fatigued..then I'll just seem cold haha. I'm easily affected by the moods of the people around me. I get energized by a happy mood, people's positive and happy mood energizes me. I find it hard not to care about people's problems because I feel it's my duty to help them and I sometimes automatically get the same feeling that they give off. Hmm...what else...I have always been attracted to people who show they're passionate, who are expressive when speaking, who show emotion when speaking. I get sort of annoyed by people who have an expressionless face when speaking, like they're bored or something or have no feelings (I know of course that this is not true!). I think if people can just bother to understand one another then we'll all live more harmoniously, because it's (generally) easier to respect that which you understand.

I know I am an introvert as my primary focus is on my own thoughts and my own inner world. That's my preference and it has been all my life I think.
I can now conclude that, although I can relate somewhat to most other functions too, I am an INFJ

Question: Something that is difficult to tell is if I'm using Fi more than Fe. I am religious and build my life around my religion, so I have trained myself to check any decision I make with my religion, as it involves most aspects of life. Though I don't decide what's right and wrong based on how I feel. I look for an objective way of doing so, through religion, research, etc. In other words, I don't trust myself as I trust the opinions of others, because I know others can have more knowledge and I know I am prone to mistakes, so I believe decisions should be made using the best resources and not primarily how I feel / or what I think.

I could go with INFJ or ENFP. The "one more bit of info" thing is something I experience as well as an Ni dom. I collect lots of data points and then there is that moment in time that the insight hits me. It could be what you are explaining or it could be that it is Ne that is experiencing those perceptions which tend to be more of an emergent pattern. So from your description it's hard to tell. I understand ENFPs are the most introverted extraverts though I have known some who talk so much to make this observation ridiculous. I would think the attraction to passion, emotion, expressiveness is admiration of another who is like yourself. So there is that. I would lean towards ENFP based on functions but I think that dichotomies are a more accurate way of discerning type. Have you taken the MBTI Step 2?