• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Te] How to use Te without being an asshole.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Patience. Te tends to steamroll in the name if efficiency, especially in Te doms and Te tertiaries, ime.

Keeping in mind that making the world into a germantrain isnt necessarily a priority allows you to step back and breathe while you give others a chance to get on board woth your Te plans.

I ll admit im still struggling with this myself as the fristration and irritation builds up without me realising it, causing sudden bursts of steam rollingg. Disconnecting a second to go back to the big picture while taking into account what people need - evenif it means sitting on your hands a bit - tends to do the trick and allows me to reengage Ne and find perhaps a different way to achieve my Te goal without steamrolling everyone.

/2 cents.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Be pre-emptive instead of reactive

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Be pre-emptive instead of reactive

Great point! That instant reaction you feel internally is great for getting the gears moving, but that should be it, just as the ignition switch. The car hasn't been shifted into drive yet.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My now middle-aged ENFP friend says she needed to learn to stop trying to change others and instead focus on fully representing her own values, championing her beliefs by living them, not by trying to get others to change.

It is acting, not persuading.

It seems that too many Te users act like they believe they see clearly the speck in the eyes of others, not understanding that the log in their own eye prevents them from seeing clearly.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Great point! That instant reaction you feel internally is great for getting the gears moving, but that should be it, just as the ignition switch. The car hasn't been shifted into drive yet.

You have more time to figure out how the best way is to handle things when you are pre-emptive. Ass-hole is not always the best way to handle things, but it generaly has the quickest response...not always the best response for the situation.

I read something yesterday about Dom Te and it said its about structuring your life and then extending that to help others structure theirs. But what ends up being missed is how to actually get people to respond in a way that helps them. You cant just tell people how to structure self and life, you have to work with the person themself not just objective data or facts. Its why i posted zig-ziglar. Because he has ALOT of good ways to help others as well as self to structure properly without ass-hole. You can learn just as much from listening to how he deals with different people as you can from learning a good way to structure self.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My now middle-aged ENFP friend says she needed to learn to stop trying to change others and instead focus on fully representing her own values, championing her beliefs by living them, not by trying to get others to change.

It is acting, not persuading.

It seems that too many Te users act like they believe they see clearly the speck in the eyes of others, not understanding that the log in their own eye prevents them from seeing clearly.

Yes, my GF was listening to how to set goals and plan and such. So she texted me..."what exactly do you need to quit your job and move into remodelling houses". I simply flipped it back onto her..."i simply need you to finish your nursing school, that should be your focus" its something she has been wanting for years, a win-win for both. I dont hate my job, i dont come home exhausted, i dont come home frustrated with it, it pays very well. I can easily sit in my job until she is done. Its all about priorities and proper ordering of them.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
But at least ENFPs can get better at using Te than IXFPs....

I feel like I've had a leg up in Te for longer than the theory would suggest, in that you develop the functions other than the dom and aux as you mature since my brother and dad are both very Te heavy, and my mom being ISFJ, was often the one to tell me to "suck it up" (in a less crass way of course) and to just follow life's many protocols in obtaining what you're after, rather than sitting there worrying over if what you're doing feels right, for you. However, none of that matters too much since I still struggle at the end of the day to get the wheels moving, in bringing my ideas and goals to fruition. It's so so easy, and tempting(!) to stay in daydream land and imagine a reality versus creating one.

But! If I ever do utilize my Te and set my sights on to accomplishing something that is truly meaningful to me, ya, it's pretty awesome of a function and I'm pretty badass with it, to me at least :D (Reality may say otherwise and my Te may have no more finesse than an ogre in the ice capades but I'll just stick to my dreamland on this "fact" haha)

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
To respond to this thread, I've found it most useful for me to stay focused on why I'm working on a project and to maintain that big picture understanding behind everything.

Te can be like a drug to me. It feels amazing when I'm zeroed in and seeing everything at play, moving all the bits and pieces together in my mind and being the conductor of the symphony that is project management. However, if I start focusing on the emotional gains from achieving each and every completed task along the way, rather than allowing a slower build of positive emotions in seeing my vision come to life, then I will do whatever I can to ensure I get more of the candy and start consuming without much thought or consideration for others as any addict may. That's when and how Te can turn me into an asshole towards others. It feels fantastic in the moment and I honest to God, feel like I have so much power in my hands, but once I snap out of it, it doesn't feel good at all.

The ideal here, is if I can tap into that drive and determination that jumping into an Ne/Te mode can provide, but not let it consume me by keeping the bigger picture in mind. Over the years I've been getting closer to this ideal balance but I still have slip ups.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is a large part of what I do. Also accepting that not everyone needs corrected/fixed even if I know they are wrong. It isn't my job to educate everyone around me. It my job to keep my own shit together.
Exactly. I tend to offer those corrections/fixes only when asked by the other person, or when their actions are having direct negative impact on me. In the first case, if they don't want to follow my advice, that is their choice. Sometimes it is easier for an outside observer to see what the best/better course of action is, as the individual is too close to the situation. That being said, I am not them; I might have different priorities, and probably don't know the entirety of the situation. Only they can decide what is right for them, and they will be the ones to live with the consequences. In the second case - negative impact on me - I will be much more insistent on getting some resolution.

I may have developed a mindset that is actually more tolerant in this respect over the years, but even when relatively young I followed the same principles, if only because I didn't have time and energy to go around trying to fix everyone or everything around me. I was too busy pursuing my own business.

Te can be like a drug to me. It feels amazing when I'm zeroed in and seeing everything at play, moving all the bits and pieces together in my mind and being the conductor of the symphony that is project management. However, if I start focusing on the emotional gains from achieving each and every completed task along the way, rather than allowing a slower build of positive emotions in seeing my vision come to life, then I will do whatever I can to ensure I get more of the candy and start consuming without much thought or consideration for others as any addict may. That's when and how Te can turn me into an asshole towards others. It feels fantastic in the moment and I honest to God, feel like I have so much power in my hands, but once I snap out of it, it doesn't feel good at all.
I guess different candy appeals to different people. For me, the emotions of the moment are simply noise. They distract from the focus necessary to accomplish my goals, so I push them aside. This, of course, can lead me into exactly what you describe - that single-minded execution of whatever it takes to complete each task and step. I have to mentally step back from this and remember to include, not the emotions of the moment, but rather that subjective judgment that takes into account broader impacts on others, and makes sure that in working single-mindedly toward one goal, I am not compromising others.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Ive not experienced Te as an asshole function, though I find its outward certainty galling at times.

I have no idea how to use Te myself, but in my experience Te users (especially STJs) are very patient when teaching you a new skill. My grandfather is an ISTJ, and he really breaks things down for me. Mind you, I don't like learning that way, but I appreciate the effort and care.

Eta: Oh and I find they are a bit like Fe users in that they seem to really like having something to offer you (in terms of skills, expertise, advice, etc).

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ive not experienced Te as an asshole function, though I find its outward certainty galling at times.

I have no idea how to use Te myself, but in my experience Te users (especially STJs) are very patient when teaching you a new skill. My grandfather is an ISTJ, and he really breaks things down for me. Mind you, I don't like learning that way, but I appreciate the effort and care.

Eta: Oh and I find they are a bit like Fe users in that they seem to really like having something to offer you (in terms of skills, expertise, advice, etc).

So you mean it may be inferior Fi causing this? The push back of feelings until the lack of working through them functionally just causes a build up until the anger and the ass hole and frustration just continuosly simmer on top.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
So you mean it may be inferior Fi causing this? The push back of feelings until the lack of working through them functionally just causes a build up until the anger and the ass hole and frustration just continuosly simmer on top.

It could be. I have a similar assholeish thing with my Fe. Though I think Te-Fi tends to get frustrated a lot, and have more small blow-ups, while Ti-Fe rage seems to take a lot longer and create a bigger blow up. What do you think?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It could be. I have a similar assholeish thing with my Fe. Though I think Te-Fi tends to get frustrated a lot, and have more small blow-ups, while Ti-Fe rage seems to take a lot longer and create a bigger blow up. What do you think?

I dont think size of blowup is related to E vs I. Its how we find to handle our inferior. Or the opposite function. Much more important deciding factors and E/I or I/E is minimal to non existant deciding factor of size of blowup.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think I'm an asshole when I use my Te (which is always), but I have been told that I have "resting commanding tone" - meaning, I sound like I'm telling people what to do, even when I don't intend to. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though sometimes people need time to get used to it. Especially when they're unaccustomed to experiencing "resting commanding tone" from women. ;)

I also tone it down with more sensitive people. Per the below...

Consider the wants and needs of others when measuring that effectiveness.
^ This.

And in even more Te terms: consider that acknowledging the wants and needs of others is more likely to get you what you want. ;)

Oh yes, ENFPs and their tertiary, the ol' Te hammer. The answer is, no, not at first. The thing is, when we start using it, it startles and scares people, and scares ourselves. And honestly, we're not very good at it, at first. But with practice you'll get better, you'll never have a Te scalpel, though.
TBH I don't know if anyone can ever have a Te scalpel. Maybe a Te chisel at best.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think I'm an asshole when I use my Te (which is always), but I have been told that I have "resting commanding tone" - meaning, I sound like I'm telling people what to do, even when I don't intend to. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though sometimes people need time to get used to it. Especially when they're unaccustomed to experiencing "resting commanding tone" from women. ;)
This is true of me as well. As an I, I might be less inclined to say anything at all, but when I do, it often comes across as quite directive. As for people not taking it well coming from a woman, I haven't noticed that, but doesn't mean it isn't happening. That is the sort of thing I can be quite oblivious of.

TBH I don't know if anyone can ever have a Te scalpel. Maybe a Te chisel at best.
I have been accused of using a Te scalpel, on several occasions, but then much of the precision of a scalpel lies in the vision that guides it. Yet another case of functions not acting in a vacuum, but influenced by all the other functions working in concert with it.

Metis

This is a helpful thread, since I've been experiencing some assholish behavior from myself as well and wondering what to do about it. I've been doing it as an alternative to being a chump, so it's not like I can just say, "Metis, don't be an asshole" and expect that to solve anything.

In theory, I'm not Te-anything unless it's a "shadow function," and maybe it's a tertiary-to-inferior Fe thing, that is, assuming that the cognitive functions work that way. In any case. I'd like to learn how to be a better, more effective, and WISER asshole. Some of the most helpful encounters I've had were with people who were being assholes in appropriately well-intended ways. In other words -- not being assholes at all, really, but willing to risk coming across as assholes by not kissing MY ass or trying to cover theirs.

And I didn't necessarily show any appreciation for their taking the trouble.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Which function is the lightsaber?