• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Te] How to use Te without being an asshole.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Is it possible to effectively use Te without coming across as an asshole?

I am an ENFP (with well-developed Te) and my father is an ENTJ. So I've been on the giving and receiving end of Te asshole-dom. Has anyone else noticed this about Te? Anyone have any tips on how to balance Te's need for effectiveness with the needs of the people around you?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I am an ENFP (with well-developed Te) and my father is an ENTJ. So I've been on the giving and receiving end of Te asshole-dom. Has anyone else noticed this about Te? Anyone have any tips on how to balance Te's need for effectiveness with the needs of the people around you?
Consider the wants and needs of others when measuring that effectiveness.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
You should choose your words and your timining more carefully if you want to soften up the message.
However Te by definition is unplesant function and that can never be fully undone.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Patience. Te tends to steamroll in the name if efficiency, especially in Te doms and Te tertiaries, ime.

Keeping in mind that making the world into a germantrain isnt necessarily a priority allows you to step back and breathe while you give others a chance to get on board woth your Te plans.

I ll admit im still struggling with this myself as the fristration and irritation builds up without me realising it, causing sudden bursts of steam rollingg. Disconnecting a second to go back to the big picture while taking into account what people need - evenif it means sitting on your hands a bit - tends to do the trick and allows me to reengage Ne and find perhaps a different way to achieve my Te goal without steamrolling everyone.

/2 cents.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I have an ESTJ real estate agent thats not an ass hole. He has pretty much just accepted life is and people are crazy and laugh about it...not them. He gets upset, but its short lived as he resorts back to his laughing enjoying life self.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Patience. Te tends to steamroll in the name if efficiency, especially in Te doms and Te tertiaries, ime.

Keeping in mind that making the world into a germantrain isnt necessarily a priority allows you to step back and breathe while you give others a chance to get on board woth your Te plans.

I ll admit im still struggling with this myself as the fristration and irritation builds up without me realising it, causing sudden bursts of steam rollingg. Disconnecting a second to go back to the big picture while taking into account what people need - evenif it means sitting on your hands a bit - tends to do the trick and allows me to reengage Ne and find perhaps a different way to achieve my Te goal without steamrolling everyone.

/2 cents.

ESTJ real estate agent steams rolls everyone, but not in a rude way. He is just very forward. His opinions are not ass holish as he enjoys his life and what he does. Always a smile, always a laugh.

I know others who dont know how to not be an asshole. Its all about attitude toward life...

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know several "healthy" TJs with a good use of Te that are not assholes. But they are older than 40, often having spent years and decades as a complete asshole.

One 70-something ENTJ likes to tell the story about how he woke up one day around 40 and realized what an angry nasty jerk he was. He says it took a decade to work through all that. Today he is a huge hearted giving and considerate old man who spends hours helping others, with considerable patience he lacked in his early days.

I do know one relatively good and healthy young ISTJ. He grew up in a loving Christian home and internalized the need to treat others well. But even he admits taking a sick joy(his words) in the fiobles and pain of others......

rav3n

This confuses me. If it matters to you, what's stopping you from not being an asshole?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yes, ENFPs and their tertiary, the ol' Te hammer. The answer is, no, not at first. The thing is, when we start using it, it startles and scares people, and scares ourselves. And honestly, we're not very good at it, at first. But with practice you'll get better, you'll never have a Te scalpel, though.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh yes, ENFPs and their tertiary, the ol' Te hammer. The answer is, no, not at first. The thing is, when we start using it, it startles and scares people, and scares ourselves. And honestly, we're not very good at it, at first. But with practice you'll get better, you'll never have a Te scalpel, though.

But at least ENFPs can get better at using Te than IXFPs....

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

And thank god for that. Active Te coupled with Fi would be a nightmare; can you imagine what could happen if an INFP was dissatisfied with you for for not being a unicorn, and then actually, really, deciding to do something about it?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
And thank god for that. Active Te coupled with Fi would be a nightmare; can you imagine what could happen if an INFP was dissatisfied with you for for not being a unicorn, and then actually, really, deciding to do something about it?

^ assholes

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I know exactly what it is to be around a IXFP who is fully engaged in her weak Te.....it ain't pretty or fun to experience....

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Listen to zig ziglar. Lots of positive Te . An awesome motivational speaker.

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have an ESTJ real estate agent thats not an ass hole. He has pretty much just accepted life is and people are crazy and laugh about it...not them. He gets upset, but its short lived as he resorts back to his laughing enjoying life self.

This is a large part of what I do. Also accepting that not everyone needs corrected/fixed even if I know they are wrong. It isn't my job to educate everyone around me. It my job to keep my own shit together.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is a large part of what I do. Also accepting that not everyone needs corrected/fixed even if I know they are wrong. It isn't my job to educate everyone around me. It my job to keep my own shit together.

Not to mention not everyone has same priorities or desires. My dad has many times disagreed with me because he cared more about cons then i did or more about pros then i did. I never disagreed with out come, i just didnt care.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Yeah this was hard but necessary to accept. They can get their own shit together.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Make everything you command sound as if it were an option?

If not, know that they signed a contract lel.

Lel LelLel Lel