• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

When did you start to notice your auxiliary function developing?

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
This is an offshoot of another thread. Coriolis had said something interesting about remembering her Te developing as a kid:

I was very conscious of starting to develop Te when I was around 10-12 or so. Of course I didn't think of in those terms back then, as I knew nothing about MBTI, etc. What I did feel was a constant struggle to take ideas that seemed so clear swirling around in my head and present them to someone else in a coherent form, and then to defend them against questioning, and (kind-hearted) attempts to pick them apart, courtesy of an old, dear family friend. There was an almost palpable sensation surrounding the development of this ability, as if I could feel things coming into alignment and reinforcing each other. By the time I was in high school, I was quite proficient at this, at least for my age, and there was no looking back.

I had a similar experience myself around the ages of 11-13, though not with Te.

Do you recall a certain period in your life in which you were conscious of developing a secondary function? Describe that period.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Young. Young as hell. I can remember being a little Fe demon since early gradeschool. Probably 1st or 2nd grade, which for me was around age 7/8. Although there are a few members who would argue I'm an ESFJ rather than ISFJ. Honestly, I see my Si and Fe as being equally strong. Almost like having two dom functions instead of a dom/aux relationship.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My auxiliary is Fi. I started noticing it maybe in mid elementary school? It's been part of me for a long time. But it's always been there to the point I initially thought it was my dominant function for awhile.
It's probably different for everyone. I personally can see glimpses of my tertiary looking back on my childhood. And in middle school, I was stuck in the grips of my inferior function.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think it was very young when I began to "prefer" it, but it began to get more developed and nurtured at around 17.