• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The sixth function, the critical parent function

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I have a theory on the sixth function that which people use known as the critical parent function. Whenever people use their sixth function, it's used to reprehend somebody for their behavior. For instance, ENTP might use Te to reprehend somebody for cleaning their room or being late to school. So now the sixth function is the function that people will difficult using only meant to use sparsely.

So now my theory is how types that negligent their sixth function can have a negative outcome on their actions. For instance ESTP and ENTP share Te as their sixth function. So now ESTP and ENTP are stereotype to be unreliable, late, also quitting jobs from boredom. They are flighty and unreliable. I believe the reason may be from their negligence from lack of Te usage.

Another example would be ISTJ and INTJ. ISTJ and INTJ use Ti as their sixth function. Ti is used to find finds and inconsistency. ISTJ and INTJ that neglect use Ti will always follow the rules without thinking about the faults in them in the first place. I believe this is way ISTJ are stereotype to allows follow the rules and strict which may be poor use of Ti.

Another example would be ENFJ and ENTJ. Now ENFJ and ENTJ use Ni to foresee the implications. ENFJ and ENTJ who neglect Ne cannot think of an alternative possibility that will happen. They will always see one outcome in a situation with how if they just use Ni and neglect Ne. They cannot think of the multiple possibles. This will lead to short-sighted behavior in their actions if they cannot think of other possible outcomes.

What do you think of my theory?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wouldn't say Ti's function is necessarily wanting to break rules per se, but finding the logical framework underneath everything. "There has to be a logic to this, if not.. it won't be use to me." Obviously use of Te is more of end result... well these rules help get the product going. Ti conflicts with it, with analytics to say well actually this part is slowing this down. In fact because Ti is the critical parent function of both IXTJ's.. it's more of worrisome that they might be missing something after all.. where is regular healthy use of Ti, takes things slowly and finds the principles.. the INTJ may get lost by constantly criticizing to themselves.. "but there has to be MORE than this."

I know plenty of examples of INTJ's who break rules regardless of their "health". ISTJ's are probably more inclined to stick with rules and not let them change because of the safe space it brings to their Si. Ni looks for the consistency of their vision.. not so much of consistency in the application of the external world provided by predictable sensory datum.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The "critical" parent was embodied in Beebe's theory by the classic archetypes of the Witch and Senex. And actually, the Witch might more accurately be represented by another archetype, the Crone, which is more the female analogue of the Senex, or [negative] "wise old man" (It's probably not really meant to convey the "magical" sense associated with a witch). The whole premise behind the Senex and Crone is that they are once-respected old figures of wisdom, whom no one pays attention to anymore.

So the complex that forms around this archetype comes up in a reaction to a feeling of "negation" of the ego, and will tend to see or judge the situation through the associated 6th function, which is otherwise not differentiated as a conscious "function". Meaning the ETP can recognize a need for a more externally oriented logical order, but it's not usually as important as a more internal model of logical order. The ego has not invested the energy into one as it has the other, so it ends up being taken over by a less conscious complex. But then when the 6th place complex is activated, then, as you say, they may use Te to criticize someone else. Someone has probably violated their internal Ti sense of things, or perhaps the dominant perspective, and so they will turn outward to establish what is "true or false".
The example Hunziker gives in his book on Beebe's theory (Depth Typology, 2016) gives is that Jung’s use of Ti “always seemed somewhat tortured and convoluted, and a bit tinged with the didactic tone of the Senex archetype”. (This is perhaps may be why I and some others find him so hard to digest!) So he seems to use both Te and Ti (leading to debate on his type), but you have to look at which ones seem to come more or less naturally.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting theory.
I can't speak for everyone, but as an ENFP my sixth function is Fe. Whenever I tend to be critical of people it is usually due to them not treating others right and blatantly disregarding other people. I can see a bit of a connection since Fe is all about interactions with others and group dynamics at its core (as I see it).
Very rarely, EXFPs can get so caught up in themselves that they forget to read the atmosphere and take others' views and needs into consideration. From my experience, it's very rare though especially in healthy versions of the type.
Though i have to admit, Fe confuses me to death sometimes. It's wonderful, but every once in awhile I will completely be baffled by it. I just can't quite get a grasp on how people sometimes get from point A to point B using it.