• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Give Functions Or Types To Each

astrotheologian

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
  1. Hunters
  2. Politicians
  3. Championing Underdogs
  4. Merchants
  5. Artists
  6. Salespersons
  7. Law Makers
  8. Prophets
** If you think hunters are Se/Ne dom, please give reasoning for each. :)

astrotheologian

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll go first.
  1. Hunters
  2. Politicians
  3. Championing Underdogs
  4. Merchants
  5. Artists
  6. Salespersons
  7. Law Makers
  8. Prophets
** If you think hunters are Se/Ne dom, please give reasoning for each. :)
I'll go first.
Hunters - Ne dom [ENTP]
Politicians - Ne dom [ExTP]
Championing Underdogs - Ne dom [ENxP]
Merchants - Ne dom [ENTP]
Artists - Fi AND Ni doms. (To a lesser extent Si dom.) [IxFJ, IxFP]
Salespersons - Ne AND Se dom [ENxP, ESxP]
Lawmakers - Te dom [ExTJ]
Prophets - Ni dom. [INxJ]

Metis

I'll go first.

I'll go first.
Hunters - Ne dom [ENTP]
Politicians - Ne dom [ExTP]
Championing Underdogs - Ne dom [ENxP]
Merchants - Ne dom [ENTP]
Artists - Fi AND Ni doms. (To a lesser extent Si dom.) [IxFJ, IxFP]
Salespersons - Ne AND Se dom [ENxP, ESxP]
Lawmakers - Te dom [ExTJ]
Prophets - Ni dom. [INxJ]

Apparently, ENTPs practically do it all. Thanks, astrotheologian!

:rock::hardatwork::sleeping::encore::jesus::cowboy:

Here's mine:

Hunters: Se. Sure, Ne dom--like Joe Rogan--can and do hunt, but you're going to be using a lot of Se doing this as well as any other hunting-like activity, such as birdwatching, car watching, being a private investigator, etc. Obviously, it takes more than that one function, and you're going to use, for example, Te to make the hunting trip happen, assuming you're not doing it all the time as a matter of habit, and you'll use your N functions and your Si function to make predictions that might aid your success, but the primary function you'd be using in the moment would be a very focused Se. You're not just staring at the clouds and daydreaming, or looking for patterns, although that's helpful background functionality. Your senses need to be online to succeed at this.

Politicians: Dude, politicians come in all different primary functions. Some use a lot of charm and glad-handing; some don't. Some reference a lot of facts and data in a logical way; some don't. Some make appeals to compassion, to responsibility, to personal freedom, etc. Some fill up your mailbox with unsolicited bullshit printed on expensive, shiny paper. Some don't bother with that shit. Te would be helpful if you're running a campaign, because if you're just being a dreamer, your campaign probably won't get very far, and even with a team, you need to lead it. But plenty of politicians are introverted, and/or "feelers", and/or "judgers". I doubt that they're mainly ExTP, and that includes the ones who get elected. Also, local government might or might not have a similar type makeup as larger government. Don't know. How about we type CSPAN instead: ISTJ? (Ok, I haven't seen CSPAN since like the 80's, so maybe it's different now, for all I know. I just looked it up and found out it's still around.)

Championing Underdogs: Everyone loves an underdog, because the underdog usually wins in the movies. But in real life, "underdog" means different things to different people.

Merchants: You should have good Si skills if you're dealing with inventory, money, transactions, paperwork, etc. Te doesn't hurt, either. Fe can help if you're doing the selling directly with your customers, but IMO that takes a WAY backseat to honesty, and I'd rather deal with someone who's meticulous and honest than have my ass kissed any day.

Artists: Oh, I don't care.

Salespersons: See "Merchants". Fe is popular, but Si is a preferable m.o. as far as I'm concerned.

Law Makers: I don't know, in practice. I would think Ti would be helpful. Si would be as well, as in, "Those who fail to learn from history are destined to repeat it," or whatever the saying is. You want thoughtful laws, backed by solid empirical knowledge.

Prophets: You're not fucking prophets, Ni people, and you all know it! If prophecy really exists, then that's the choice of the deity involved, and that deity is going to get the message out as the deity sees fit. Perhaps deities that use prophets are Te-dom? As for the prophets themselves, "The messenger is not important", as the dude in Stigmata said.

astrotheologian

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Apparently, ENTPs practically do it all. Thanks, astrotheologian!

:rock::hardatwork::sleeping::encore::jesus::cowboy:

Here's mine:

Hunters: Se. Sure, Ne dom--like Joe Rogan--can and do hunt, but you're going to be using a lot of Se doing this as well as any other hunting-like activity, such as birdwatching, car watching, being a private investigator, etc. Obviously, it takes more than that one function, and you're going to use, for example, Te to make the hunting trip happen, assuming you're not doing it all the time as a matter of habit, and you'll use your N functions and your Si function to make predictions that might aid your success, but the primary function you'd be using in the moment would be a very focused Se. You're not just staring at the clouds and daydreaming, or looking for patterns, although that's helpful background functionality. Your senses need to be online to succeed at this.

Politicians: Dude, politicians come in all different primary functions. Some use a lot of charm and glad-handing; some don't. Some reference a lot of facts and data in a logical way; some don't. Some make appeals to compassion, to responsibility, to personal freedom, etc. Some fill up your mailbox with unsolicited bullshit printed on expensive, shiny paper. Some don't bother with that shit. Te would be helpful if you're running a campaign, because if you're just being a dreamer, your campaign probably won't get very far, and even with a team, you need to lead it. But plenty of politicians are introverted, and/or "feelers", and/or "judgers". I doubt that they're mainly ExTP, and that includes the ones who get elected. Also, local government might or might not have a similar type makeup as larger government. Don't know. How about we type CSPAN instead: ISTJ? (Ok, I haven't seen CSPAN since like the 80's, so maybe it's different now, for all I know. I just looked it up and found out it's still around.)

Championing Underdogs: Everyone loves an underdog, because the underdog usually wins in the movies. But in real life, "underdog" means different things to different people.

Merchants: You should have good Si skills if you're dealing with inventory, money, transactions, paperwork, etc. Te doesn't hurt, either. Fe can help if you're doing the selling directly with your customers, but IMO that takes a WAY backseat to honesty, and I'd rather deal with someone who's meticulous and honest than have my ass kissed any day.

Artists: Oh, I don't care.

Salespersons: See "Merchants". Fe is popular, but Si is a preferable m.o. as far as I'm concerned.

Law Makers: I don't know, in practice. I would think Ti would be helpful. Si would be as well, as in, "Those who fail to learn from history are destined to repeat it," or whatever the saying is. You want thoughtful laws, backed by solid empirical knowledge.

Prophets: You're not fucking prophets, Ni people, and you all know it! If prophecy really exists, then that's the choice of the deity involved, and that deity is going to get the message out as the deity sees fit. Perhaps deities that use prophets are Te-dom? As for the prophets themselves, "The messenger is not important", as the dude in Stigmata said.

This thread was created to see how many people would be at odds with Carl Jung, the guy who actually is the foundation for cognitive functions. He said this in Psychological Types.

Jung called Ne doms Merchants, Hunters, and Politicians. He also said Ne doms champion the underdog. (Yet people give this to Fi.) :unsure:
Jung referred to Ni doms as the prophetic type. He said without that type, there would have not been any prophets in Israel.
Jung referred to universal law makers as Te dominant types. He also attributed tyrannical religious leaders to Te dominants. (Although most people say this is ENFJ.)
Jung referred to Ni dominants as artists and Fi dominants as poets.

If we are not in agreement with Carl Jung, the man who identified the "functions" then we must be misunderstanding something about the functions, huh?

I'm still trying to figure out why Carl Jung called Ne dominants hunters. If we can't understand that we are at fault since MBTI claims to derive from Jung. There is also an entire section about what Jung calls negative Te which deals with Indian Metaphysics. I have no clue why nobody talks about this. All of that work Jung put into his book and this is what we come up with ?

Perhaps Jung gave "hunting" to Ne dom because it has more to do with the possibilities of "capture" than just going straight to the market to get it. From my understanding, Se is about pushing the objective to it's limit in order to satisfy the senses. So, why would ESTP go through trouble chasing his/her food around if the point is to taste it? One could just go to the market. :shrug:

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This thread was created to see how many people would be at odds with Carl Jung, the guy who actually is the foundation for cognitive functions. He said this in Psychological Types.

Jung called Ne doms Merchants, Hunters, and Politicians. He also said Ne doms champion the underdog. (Yet people give this to Fi.) :unsure:
Jung referred to Ni doms as the prophetic type. He said without that type, there would have not been any prophets in Israel.
Jung referred to universal law makers as Te dominant types. He also attributed tyrannical religious leaders to Te dominants. (Although most people say this is ENFJ.)

If we are not in agreement with Carl Jung, the man who identified the "functions" then we must be misunderstanding something about the functions, huh?

I'm still trying to figure out why Carl Jung called Ne dominants hunters. If we can't understand that we are at fault since MBTI claims to derive from Jung. There is also an entire section about what Jung calls negative Te which deals with Indian Metaphysics. I have no clue why nobody talks about this. All of that work Jung put into his book and this is what we come up with ?

Perhaps Jung gave "hunting" to Ne dom because it has more to do with the possibilities of "capture" than just going straight to the market to get it. From my understanding, Se is about pushing the objective to it's limit in order to satisfy the senses. So, why would ESTP go through trouble chasing his/her food around if the point is to taste it? One could just go to the market. :shrug:

I agree with your argument, but I can't help but wonder if revealing the answer after only one response was letting the cat out of the bag too early.

Metis

You're equating assertions like "Ne doms are hunters" with ones like "Hunters are Ne doms." It's totally different to describe Ne doms figuratively as hunters in an effort to describe the Ne function than it is to say that actual hunters are Ne-dom, or to suggest that hunters primarily use that function when hunting. The former is talking about the Ne function and trying to describe it; the latter is talking about the act of hunting and trying to analyze or identify a component of the frame of mind best suited to the activity. Likewise with the rest of the list and the rest of the functions.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hunters - Se
Politicians - Fe
Championing Underdogs - Fi
Merchants - Si
Artists - Ti