• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] What does Fi look like and what are ii'ts strengths and applications?

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What does Fi look like, and how does a Fi user use it in life (and what for)? What are it's applications and strengths?
If possible, please contrast what you write with a non-Fi user.

I'm trying to reunderstand my Fi as a benefit to me in my life. As far as I can see..I seem to have some sort of strength whose value I'm completely blind to. I would like to change that and feeld good about my personal strengths in a manner that made sense. I wrote in another thread how I would like us all (the MBTI communitty) to talk about these things more in-depth. It seems everyone talks about these functions, but there's very little information on how it is any way enpowering to be aware of one's major functions. Or how to apply them in the right manner in life.

All descriptions I come across online are super abstract when it comes to Fi...as if it was all written by people who know nothing about it. They make all Fi users come across as more authentic than other types or in anyway more aware of their feelings...in my personal experience this doesn't seem the case at all. Help me solve this mystery, please.

Fi is about having a set of values that define oneself as an individual rather than as a collective like an Fe user. It's a subjective function that is ruled by personal experience. I need to question why something would affect me first before diving into anything. Always have to have a chat with Ms. Fi before taking a step out of boundary. Dominant Ne and Se users tend to take that leap without much hesitation, since Fi is in their auxiliary. They are naturally comfortable using their dominant function because it's, well, their dominant. Fi users tend to think twice, I suppose. That could be either a positive or a negative thing depending on the situation at hand.

Also, I tend to come off guarded around other people, even sometimes with my own family members and friends. Feelings for me are usually kept wrapped up inside more often than on the surface. I very rarely go around telling people what I'm feeling or open up about aspects of my inner world. I am a lot more open on this forum than I am in real life. In real life, people have told me that I've appeared arrogant, somber, and sometimes bored because I don't usually exude that natural, warm aura that dominant Fe users have, or the perkiness of dominant Ne and Se users. It's more subdued and restrained. And yes, I introspect. A LOT. That's about the gist of it.

Btw, that's a damn fine cup of coffee, Coop. :coffee:

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not hearing any strengths. I get it, you check in with your feelings ....but what does it DOOO? And what if I don't check in with my feelings? Aren't dom and aux functions supposed to be done mostly on automatic by the user? I definately don't consciously check in with how I feel on anything on automatic.

AND! What is is good for? How is it an advantage in constrast with non-Fi users? And by non-Fi users I mean non-doms or non-auxs. I mean er'body has to have have either Fi or Fe in their stack.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!How is it an evolutionary advantage? What does it DOOO?

StrawberryBoots

[MENTION=34788]burningranger[/MENTION], It depends on where Fi is in your cognitive stacking as to what it looks like. Since you're ENFP, I'm guessing you'll explore possibilities first (with others perhaps) before making a feeling judgment, where an INFP won't want to do that. They'll want to be alone to evaluate their feelings before considering possibilities (with others) that would confirm their feeling judgment. That's one example.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fi is a method of organization and sorting. Of making sense of the world. The perceiving function acts as the information gatherer. Fi sorts. I think of my Fi as a deep cave. All you see on the surface is the opening of the cave mouth. Underneath is where it all lies. It's like a labyrinth the Minotaur would haunt, except I am the Minotaur and I know my way around it cause it's my structure I built myself.

Fi is the foundation I use to make sense of the world. It's constantly being revised, reorganized, and expanded. Rather than thinking of the structure as being based off likes and dislikes, I prefer to think of it as a series of ethical considerations, like right and wrong or somewhere in the space inbetween (there are a lot of complexities).

For me, an event is inseparable from my experience of the event. It's not whole without both being taken into consideration. But with Fi plus the perceiving function, you have the ability to explore other people's perceptions beyond just your own. And this fills yours in more, and gives you a greater understanding upon which to add to your foundational labyrinth.

Fi is no more authentic or inauthentic than any other function. It's just inward. The majority of it lies underground.

I'm not hearing any strengths. I get it, you check in with your feelings ....but what does it DOOO? And what if I don't check in with my feelings? Aren't dom and aux functions supposed to be done mostly on automatic by the user? I definately don't consciously check in with how I feel on anything on automatic.

AND! What is is good for? How is it an advantage in constrast with non-Fi users? And by non-Fi users I mean non-doms or non-auxs. I mean er'body has to have have either Fi or Fe in their stack.

It makes wonderful martinis!

I can't speak for others but it's my own personal set of rules I play by. It isn't a checklist I consciously have to go through when introduced to new stimuli. The code, the rules, the system is so much a part of me it's inextricably a piece of the whole and so it's an automatic process and I react instantaneously or nearly so. It's used to process every bit of incoming data. Like my eyes or my ears it gives me input.

As for it's evolutionary value? How should I know? It's served me for forty five years. Certainly not always flawlessly and maybe not always in a way that others find logical or reasonable but more often than not it has successfully guided me through life.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You must understand Te, its opposite before you get a full understanding of Fi.

You cannot "see" introverted functions, for they are introverted.

Its strength is integrity and to stand up for those who have been put away.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Fi is about having a set of values that define oneself as an individual rather than as a collective like an Fe user. It's a subjective function that is ruled by personal experience. I need to question why something would affect me first before diving into anything. Always have to have a chat with Ms. Fi before taking a step out of boundary. Dominant Ne and Se users tend to take that leap without much hesitation, since Fi is in their auxiliary. They are naturally comfortable using their dominant function because it's, well, their dominant. Fi users tend to think twice, I suppose. That could be either a positive or a negative thing depending on the situation at hand. Also, I tend to come off guarded around other people, even sometimes with my own family members and friends. Feelings for me are usually kept wrapped up inside more often than on the surface. I very rarely go around telling people what I'm feeling or open up about aspects of my inner world. I am a lot more open on this forum than I am in real life. In real life, people have told me that I've appeared arrogant, somber, and sometimes bored because I don't usually exude that natural, warm aura that dominant Fe users have, or the perkiness of dominant Ne and Se users. It's more subdued and restrained. And yes, I introspect. A LOT. That's about the gist of it. Btw, that's a damn fine cup of coffee, Coop. :coffee:
What a fantastic explanation of both FI and Inadvertently FE thank you, it's just so fascinating how introversion and extroversion make the functions behave so differently

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Fi is a method of organization and sorting. Of making sense of the world. The perceiving function acts as the information gatherer. Fi sorts. I think of my Fi as a deep cave. All you see on the surface is the opening of the cave mouth. Underneath is where it all lies. It's like a labyrinth the Minotaur would haunt, except I am the Minotaur and I know my way around it cause it's my structure I built myself.

Fi is the foundation I use to make sense of the world. It's constantly being revised, reorganized, and expanded. Rather than thinking of the structure as being based off likes and dislikes, I prefer to think of it as a series of ethical considerations, like right and wrong or somewhere in the space inbetween (there are a lot of complexities).

For me, an event is inseparable from my experience of the event. It's not whole without both being taken into consideration. But with Fi plus the perceiving function, you have the ability to explore other people's perceptions beyond just your own. And this fills yours in more, and gives you a greater understanding upon which to add to your foundational labyrinth.

Fi is no more authentic or inauthentic than any other function. It's just inward. The majority of it lies underground.

This is such a beautiful and coherent explanation of Fi. I've tried explaining much of what you just said here to others before, but it seems to just come out in fragments. Understanding your Fi as this inner labyrinth, exploring other's perceptions beyond your own as a way to help understand your own, events being inseparable from your emotions and who you are...if there is one wish I would be granted right now, it would be the ability to let just one other person, just give me that, I don't need hundreds, to see the world, to feel the world as I do, for it is seen through this...I can't even describe it. But you, my friend, have given my world, a voice. Thank you :)

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

What you are hearing from others about Fi, is a function that is presented in a way that it only CAN be presented. It has nothing to do with objective value or strengths, but rather, a sense of being. It's...you. But, to try and give you a "strength" at least in a way you are requesting of it, I can tell you what it has and always will do for me. Well let me just say, that this is something I've felt long before getting into personality type, and is something I assume to be attributed to Fi, though, for all I know, it might not be. But, one thing I highly relate to with the ENFP typing, ESFPs do this as well, is that they appear to be the sorts of people that can just "go". At the drop of the hat, they are there. There is little structure in their lives in the view of many of those around them. But here's a secret, there IS a structure, and there IS an organization. There IS something holding all that external crazy together, and it's something no one ever sees externally. You can see it, if you know what to look for, but to the average person, that structure is absent.

What I'm talking about, and what I've always known and felt of myself, is that amidst these fun adventures I absolutely feed off of in the day-to-day, the ideas, the creativity! The glue, is me. What I mean by that, is that I have this inner understanding of myself. I know who I am inside and out, how I feel, what makes me tick, my insecurities, how they come out in my actions and words, my experiences and how they made me feel, how I've then grown from those experiences, or didn't. My hopes, my dreams. How those dreams guide me and where they even stem from! I know how the people I've met have shaped me in ways, emotionally and mentally, that some people wouldn't consider examining. While I continue to find new bits of me each and every day, and in my times of introspection (which I do quite often), each day I have the confidence that what I know of myself in that given moment, is the fullest I could ever know myself, with no rock unturned. And yet, I continue to surprise myself as I jump into new experiences and meet new people, that NEW information of myself, a new crevice has just been discovered, and it's always such an enlightening and satisfying experience. It's never unsettling or jarring for me.

So! to return to that strength you seek of Fi. For me, the strength of Fi comes from how deeply I feel I know myself. It is such a solid and confident place, it is exactly what allows me to take those leaps and jump to new heights and dream those fantastic dreams. THAT, is the internal structure I speak of, and what I have always known as true in my life. I may not know what's around the corner, what will happen to me in this situation or that, or even if I will like it, but it doesn't matter, because so long as I know of myself is true, and it FEELS true (it really is an inner sense of just "knowing") then whatever happens to me externally, whatever is thrown my way, good or bad, can do no more harm to me than I can do to myself...if that makes sense. I genuinely believe I am the sole gatekeeper to my own demise and downfall in life, and so long as I do not allow that to happen, so long as I make that decision not to step towards that direction, I can just keep on smiling and keep on living life to its fullest. :)

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=25763]Dreamer[/MENTION] Hmm I wonder if this is Fi related or simple a matter of self-awareness. Btw you often make me sick. Nothing worse than hearing from an ENFP who is healthier than you. Same triad too. Shoo!:sick:

I didn't want to diverge teh course of the discussion, but like I pointed out in another thread I think we don't use our primary functions as well as we think by default. Not ENFPs nor any other type. Some might be more valued in certain contexts (like Te has been in corporate reality and education for 1000 years) and it might lead you to engage more often in your function in socially valued ways, but that's it. It's just a matter of it aligning with social expectations in this or that context. Like Fe caretakers n such. If your function is less understood or immediatelly valued....there's less chance you will benefit from your own strength.

I disagree that Fi is so me that can't be described...anymore than Ne is so me that it can't be described. We might paradoxically, as doms and auxs, be so in them that we have a hard time describing, but the whole point of even conceptualizing them as functions is BECAUSE they can be described/observed.

And I was discussing with another member Lotus how asking "is this me?" used to be a question I was much more about when I was younger. So not even entertaining certain avenues, because I know beforehand that is not me. But that means I keep checking within before I do things. That...I can kind of see as Fi...that is, being keenly aware and IMMEDIATELY congruent with a value system you fashion for yourself. But that means engagement and making decisions on certain things pretty strongly. That requires authenticity....I don't see it as being something FPs particularly engage in though. Just because I'm a Ne dom doesn't mean I'm an ace at using it to my benefit or in constructive ways. Constructive ways...that's the term I'm looking for. How can function A or B be used in constructive ways. Self-benefitial ways. I can use Ne for shitty pointless discussions all day...or simply to escape having tp hone in one one or two potentials instead of having it all in the air. I can use it to escape Si and implimentation/execution/actualization of possibilities...which I think most Nes do (I'm not talking about the Ne-doms that actually are engaged with their ideas and are making things happen with it)

If you ask me the benefits of Ti I can immediatelly answer that it can be used to check logical consistency of systems. Te to break things down into actionable steps and to execute and organize. See there are spheres where the this sort of function classicaly excels and where we see it's immediate benefit to the individual and the whole. That's kinda the angel I was coming from when starting this discussion. It's from that prespective that I ask what does it do and what it is good for.....Fi ideally is something that can be used to check for internal congruency but if that implied more self-awareness, we wouldn't have unhealthy/immature FPs. So either we are saying this unhealthy FPs aren't engaging their Fi....or that Fi is not about this internal congruency - otherwise they'd all lead highly harmonious lives. They would be as adept at doing that, as Te doms tend to be at organizing their lives and leading n shit.

---

I guess this all started with me wondering "what makes me valuable as an ENFP"? Cause I wanna be more of that, focus on what I'm good at, and not lose so much time in trying to mimic other types. Doing what I'm good at. But am I good at anyway?
And if MBTI can't help me do that, and gain a better understanding of myself for my own benefit...then why the hell am I wasting time on it?!

I know who I am inside and out, how I feel, what makes me tick, my insecurities, how they come out in my actions and words, my experiences and how they made me feel, how I've then grown from those experiences, or didn't. My hopes, my dreams. How those dreams guide me and where they even stem from! I know how the people I've met have shaped me in ways, emotionally and mentally, that some people wouldn't consider examining. While I continue to find new bits of me each and every day, and in my times of introspection (which I do quite often), each day I have the confidence that what I know of myself in that given moment, is the fullest I could ever know myself, with no rock unturned. And yet, I continue to surprise myself as I jump into new experiences and meet new people, that NEW information of myself, a new crevice has just been discovered, and it's always such an enlightening and satisfying experience. It's never unsettling or jarring for me.
THIS! So much this it's the thisiest this that's ever this-ed.

If there was a holy book of Fi this would be scripture! To go against myself is the greatest of all evils. And I know myself because I dwell here. I've passed my hands over every brick, my feet have touched every cobblestone. The strength of Fi is conviction! The strength of knowing oneself. Yet I'm constantly finding I touch a stone I've touched a thousand times in a slightly different way and a secret door opens revealing a whole new section/perspective in my inner sanctum. Fi's the torch that lights the path of introspection and self discovery. Well said Brother [MENTION=25763]Dreamer[/MENTION]! :sage:

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
THIS! So much this it's the thisiest this that's ever this-ed.

If there was a holy book of Fi this would be scripture! To go against myself is the greatest of all evils. And I know myself because I dwell here. I've passed my hands over every brick, my feet have touched every cobblestone. The strength of Fi is conviction! The strength of knowing oneself. Yet I'm constantly finding I touch a stone I've touched a thousand times in a slightly different way and a secret door opens revealing a whole new section/perspective in my inner sanctum. Fi's the torch that lights the path of introspection and self discovery. Well said Brother [MENTION=25763]Dreamer[/MENTION]! :sage:

Thank you! Once again, it takes an Fi dom to wrap it all up nicely for me :D

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I just want to express my thanks towards you [MENTION=34788]burningranger[/MENTION] for this thread. This space is not at all about me, and I will try to get back to your reply at a later time today, but as I've heard many times, and shoot, it's so so true, but the difference between the NFPs (I personally don't know the SFP version of this but I suspect it's much the same) is that the extroverts tend to externalize their inner Fi process while the introverts do that whole process internally. I can't imagine doing any of this internally so kudos to the introverts for being such badasses at it. This thread has been that for me. It's great fun living through my dominant Pe, but if I don't return to my Fi often enough, I feel this disconnect inside, like I start to literally feel like two different people within the same body. Getting me to write about my Fi experience, seeing others post theirs as well, having all that personal experience right in front of me, has brought me back towards my center. My Ne and Fi are once again merged and at this very moment, I feel the storms and plagues of life can hit me full force and nothing can knock me off my feet. Damn this feels good. It's an internal feeling that no one can rob you of, that no words can pick at nor remove.

Again, I'll try to get back to replying to your post later today, but wanted to express my thanks for this thread and the process I went through along the way, without even realizing at the time I was going through.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
All the feeels and fiiiis for this thread , i absorbed and appreciated so much of the input here, like little jewels and treasures, in each post I was delighted to find understanding and further insight.
" the extroverts tend to externalize their inner Fi process while the introverts do that whole process internally. I can't imagine doing any of this internally so kudos to the introverts for being such badasses at it. This thread has been that for me. It's great fun living through my dominant Pe, but if I don't return to my Fi often enough, I feel this disconnect inside, like I start to literally feel like two different people within the same body."
i share all of your sentiments above [MENTION=25763]Dreamer[/MENTION] thank you for giving these feelings shape and definition by turning them into words, making them tangible.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
[MENTION=25763]Dreamer[/MENTION] Hmm I wonder if this is Fi related or simple a matter of self-awareness. Btw you often make me sick. Nothing worse than hearing from an ENFP who is healthier than you. Same triad too. Shoo!:sick:

I didn't want to diverge teh course of the discussion, but like I pointed out in another thread I think we don't use our primary functions as well as we think by default. Not ENFPs nor any other type. Some might be more valued in certain contexts (like Te has been in corporate reality and education for 1000 years) and it might lead you to engage more often in your function in socially valued ways, but that's it. It's just a matter of it aligning with social expectations in this or that context. Like Fe caretakers n such. If your function is less understood or immediatelly valued....there's less chance you will benefit from your own strength.

I disagree that Fi is so me that can't be described...anymore than Ne is so me that it can't be described. We might paradoxically, as doms and auxs, be so in them that we have a hard time describing, but the whole point of even conceptualizing them as functions is BECAUSE they can be described/observed.

And I was discussing with another member Lotus how asking "is this me?" used to be a question I was much more about when I was younger. So not even entertaining certain avenues, because I know beforehand that is not me. But that means I keep checking within before I do things. That...I can kind of see as Fi...that is, being keenly aware and IMMEDIATELY congruent with a value system you fashion for yourself. But that means engagement and making decisions on certain things pretty strongly. That requires authenticity....I don't see it as being something FPs particularly engage in though. Just because I'm a Ne dom doesn't mean I'm an ace at using it to my benefit or in constructive ways. Constructive ways...that's the term I'm looking for. How can function A or B be used in constructive ways. Self-benefitial ways. I can use Ne for shitty pointless discussions all day...or simply to escape having tp hone in one one or two potentials instead of having it all in the air. I can use it to escape Si and implimentation/execution/actualization of possibilities...which I think most Nes do (I'm not talking about the Ne-doms that actually are engaged with their ideas and are making things happen with it)

If you ask me the benefits of Ti I can immediatelly answer that it can be used to check logical consistency of systems. Te to break things down into actionable steps and to execute and organize. See there are spheres where the this sort of function classicaly excels and where we see it's immediate benefit to the individual and the whole. That's kinda the angel I was coming from when starting this discussion. It's from that prespective that I ask what does it do and what it is good for.....Fi ideally is something that can be used to check for internal congruency but if that implied more self-awareness, we wouldn't have unhealthy/immature FPs. So either we are saying this unhealthy FPs aren't engaging their Fi....or that Fi is not about this internal congruency - otherwise they'd all lead highly harmonious lives. They would be as adept at doing that, as Te doms tend to be at organizing their lives and leading n shit.

---

I guess this all started with me wondering "what makes me valuable as an ENFP"? Cause I wanna be more of that, focus on what I'm good at, and not lose so much time in trying to mimic other types. Doing what I'm good at. But am I good at anyway?
And if MBTI can't help me do that, and gain a better understanding of myself for my own benefit...then why the hell am I wasting time on it?!

Alrighty, finally snagged some time to answer this post in a way I think may help. Having a function in your stack doesn't instantly grant you that function's particular ability, as you point out and recognize already. I think of this whenever I see an Ni dominant or, eh, any type professing to have this natural strength and ability of their dominant function over other people that have that same function lower in their stack. I agree that life circumstances and certain situations may call on certain aspects of yourself to develop more quickly out of necessity, even if they don't happen to be your ideal modes of expression and being. I also believe maturity has much to do with our development of these functions and how we grow as a person, and that maturity (in my perspective) is gained through constantly throwing oneself into new situations and testing oneself. Then, taking time to reflect, taking time to learn and to understand yourself based off those experiences. If we find ourselves to be stagnant for too long, life ceases to amaze and has little utility. So what if I can appease my bodily senses by seeking out pleasurable things, if I'm not reaching new heights on a spiritual level with myself, realizing my potential, what am I even doing here? Why live?

These sorts of questions, these aims, is the setup, the opening scene if you will, to where Fi develops. I have the sense, from my own development, that Fi begins as this pesky little brat of a child. You start off understanding the world through the very basic concept of what I like, what I don't. What hurts me, what pleases me. Then, you start to build from that by seeing what hurts others, what pleases others. Meeting other people, sharing stories and experiences, you start to make connections in your mind of how your emotional reactions and understandings to things are nothing unique, but rather, something universal and shared as part of this overall human experience. How you get there, what it means to YOU, is highly individual and no one can take that away from you. But where you, as an individual sit amidst these other souls that also feel, that also must find their place and grow, you start to understand life as greater than yourself. You also grow to understand and to have this respect for your fellow man. You see their emotions as your own on a connected level, and there is again, this sort of mutual respect, for their space and individuality as they should offer you your space to grow and breathe.

So, this is where FPs may differ in my view. Have they grown their Fi, have they matured it to a level where they no longer see the world as consisting only of themselves, but of a world of like-minded individuality and respect for their fellow person. Where an ideal life is one lived with a collection of people working hard and seeking for their own self fulfillment. The above development of Fi may seem to have little point to your concerns, but in direct response to your last comment as I bolded, turn to Fi for self reflection, but in so doing, I believe there will come a shift, when you start to look outward, using your Fi, to then understand others. What, as an ENFP are you "good at"? Navigating people and navigating the emotional landscape that all of humanity shares. What that means is, focus on your own, actual strengths, as a person, not as an ENFP or personality type, but understand your type DOES afford you some strengths if that makes sense. The end game isn't how to be a better ENFP, the end game should be, how to tap into your strengths as a person, and oh btw, you're an ENFP :new wink:

To use myself as an example, I got into architecture because I'm a highly creative person that loves design, psychology, and looking ahead, towards the future. I dreamt up futuristic cities and environments all the time as a child. Being an ENFP, means that I present my ideas in a way that gathers people around me, inspires others with my stories and visions, the enthusiasm I have for my own designs, in turn inspires others in their own work. I am able to aptly navigate the office environment of differing perspective and personality types. I am able to flow with ease with nearly any type of person and work with some of the most difficult people. My type is not me, it is not something I pander to, but it is something that does offer me some benefit, as I work in unison with my strengths, as a person.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
What I'm talking about, and what I've always known and felt of myself, is that amidst these fun adventures I absolutely feed off of in the day-to-day, the ideas, the creativity! The glue, is me. What I mean by that, is that I have this inner understanding of myself. I know who I am inside and out, how I feel, what makes me tick, my insecurities, how they come out in my actions and words, my experiences and how they made me feel, how I've then grown from those experiences, or didn't. My hopes, my dreams. How those dreams guide me and where they even stem from! I know how the people I've met have shaped me in ways, emotionally and mentally, that some people wouldn't consider examining. While I continue to find new bits of me each and every day, and in my times of introspection (which I do quite often), each day I have the confidence that what I know of myself in that given moment, is the fullest I could ever know myself, with no rock unturned. And yet, I continue to surprise myself as I jump into new experiences and meet new people, that NEW information of myself, a new crevice has just been discovered, and it's always such an enlightening and satisfying experience. It's never unsettling or jarring for me.

So! to return to that strength you seek of Fi. For me, the strength of Fi comes from how deeply I feel I know myself. It is such a solid and confident place, it is exactly what allows me to take those leaps and jump to new heights and dream those fantastic dreams. THAT, is the internal structure I speak of, and what I have always known as true in my life. I may not know what's around the corner, what will happen to me in this situation or that, or even if I will like it, but it doesn't matter, because so long as I know of myself is true, and it FEELS true (it really is an inner sense of just "knowing") then whatever happens to me externally, whatever is thrown my way, good or bad, can do no more harm to me than I can do to myself...if that makes sense. I genuinely believe I am the sole gatekeeper to my own demise and downfall in life, and so long as I do not allow that to happen, so long as I make that decision not to step towards that direction, I can just keep on smiling and keep on living life to its fullest.

Hmm. You see the paradox in what you're describing, no? That it's a function that allows you to know yourself so "inside and out" yet you are constantly learning "NEW information" about yourself?

Logically, both things cannot be true at the same time. :newwink:

Fi is a way of thinking. The process is highly analytical in the areas of values-based consistency, both in oneself and then out into the world. It is attuned to making sense of emotions, emotional contexts and searches for the keys to that system as universal expression.

The value of Fi can be conviction but this is also a blind spot to be wary of. Fi can lead someone to claim that certain values are important but then not express that value in the world with consistency. A simple example would be to say that the white lies of others are "bad" but then in the next breath not divulge truth about one's own inner context, another kind of "white lie". Fi can be rather blind to that type of personal inconsistency and explain it away with hand-wavy logic. An attuned Fi must be vigilant to this particular form of inconsistency, because it is a form of arrogance. Every introverted function contains an area where it can be easy to cross that line.

Having Fi in the stack does not inherently allow you to know yourself any better than the next Joe.

A lot of what you write seems more enneagram-related to me. Being a 7, your post feels more like all the bright side and none of the dark. But I appreciate your passion that underlies the expression.

[MENTION=34788]burningranger[/MENTION]: the Fi thought process has the potential to enable you to examine and analyze thoughts and emotions for emotional, logical and value-based consistency based first on your own self as template. When you think about life situations, particularly ones where you felt unsure or that something was "wrong", what kinds of bodily feelings did / do you experience?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Beautiful :shrug: it uses feelings as a method to understand the world through data. Where as a more shallow Fe based function takes data and creates a solid judgement to run with and have to further refine on the fly Fi is generally just building understandings and depth of people and things without as much push into the world.

Its been associated with values, but Ti has can be associated in the same way using thought. We get "value" triggers through thinking just as Fi does through feeling. Its just "feeling" has been associated with values and T as just cold hard facts because its not "F".

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=34788]burningranger[/MENTION]: the Fi thought process has the potential to enable you to examine and analyze thoughts and emotions for emotional, logical and value-based consistency based first on your own self as template. When you think about life situations, particularly ones where you felt unsure or that something was "wrong", what kinds of bodily feelings did / do you experience?

Right, I did think of that. Mind you I have my ideas on Fi myself...but I wanted to clear the slate and have people question things without adding to the bias. So basically, checking in with your heart/resonance? This resonates with me, this does not?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Beautiful :shrug: it uses feelings as a method to understand the world through data. Where as a more shallow Fe based function takes data and creates a solid judgement to run with and have to further refine on the fly Fi is generally just building understandings and depth of people and things without as much push into the world.

Its been associated with values, but Ti has can be associated in the same way using thought. We get "value" triggers through thinking just as Fi does through feeling. Its just "feeling" has been associated with values and T as just cold hard facts because its not "F".

Agreed. Ji (most notable in dominant process) indeed share a common approach. I would say, each function prioritizes a certain data set, but that does not mean other data sets have no value or aren't utilized. An Fi user though has to reach farther to appreciate data not based on "feelings", much as the Ti individual has to reach further to see value in the F-based data.