• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Capitalizing on your type's strengths

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So I've been reading about mbti online and in an effort to self-actualize I came across a video on improving one's Te as an NFP. The guy who created then said something really simple, like focus more on your strenghts and mitigating your weaknesses as an ENFP....and, even though the "focus on your strengths" is a very old piece of advice...it started dawning on me that I might have never really done so...at least with a conscious knowledge of what those strengths are. He said something about ENFPs in particular being prone to having a phase in their lives where they are trying to mimic other people's abilities with some sucess...but he suggested that what one should really do is to focus on developing one's main two functions and use them as their primary means of navigating life and achieving their goals.

So that got me reading some cognitive function descriptions, about Ne and Fi and some other stuf...and I compared the supposed benefits of both to what I've been doing in my life....and I saw little to no correlation. Could it be that for most of us, since not knowing our own strengths is a common occurence for many people, our type's strenghts are not actually being used AT ALL in any meaningful way?

According to many Fi descriptions it's value relies on the use of authenticity and knowing our feelings to discern what is and is not good for us. I have feelings, a lot of idealism surrounding many of my preferences and beliefs....but little to no benefitial application of them in my life. Ne is described as the ability to read context and see emerging new possibilties in places and people and situations. It's described as seeing novel experiences to gather information and prespective...and both descriptions make these two functions sound really fucking awesome...like the person who had them could almost take over the fucking world....but that's not my everyday life experience :p

So I thought of creating this thread so that we can all discuss the functions and what their strengths REALLY are, and how they can be applied pratically in the world. Do you see yourself in what I describe - i.e. you have the pontetial and the almost automatic usage of your functions but maybe not in an ideal or even very functional and helpful way that brings you results?

What are your thoughts on your own two main functions? Are you consciously aware of their strengths? Do you see specific real world application for them, that you can immediatelly see benefit in? Any thoughts on the main functions of other types and what they are good at? Let's all share what comes to mind :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ne is perfect for becoming a legendary drug addict.

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll start. For years I thought , wouldn't be cool if i created movies and games or books? I can't deny the passion I feel for some of these ideas, and I see it's intimatly connected to Ne, in my case....because I've always been very selective of the kind of content I wanted to created. Only NEW ideas. Original concepts. It's almost as if those passions would be excuses for me to just explore the potential of my ability to imagine these new things. But truth of the matter is I haven't done SHIT with these things for the most part.

Now, this is due to all the common issues we all face - esteem issues, relationships issues, circumstancial/financial issues. But as I look at this concept of "use your strengths" I see clearly how the potential is there in me...and in a way, since I can't really escape my cognitive strengths, they always accompany me....but they do not look to me as these powerful weapons at my disposable that they could be, at least in theory. It's as if I feel divorced from my own strengths...which again, is common in our society since our education doesn't really focus on us becoming self-aware or even self-appreciative of our uniqueness...but rather to conform to "what is needed".

As far as Fi goes....I do have this feeling of having a very powerful inner barometer at my disposal ....that can cue me in on universal truths and what is right...as well as what is best for me (i can quickly pick on whether a person will be right for me to interact with...2 seconds upon meeting them or reading what they write etc). It also gives me unique, individualized viewpoints that I can see others appreaciating very much (and I get some positive feedback on that every now and then) and things I could share from that could possible benefit the greater whole. But as I think reflect upon all this....not only do I see how out of touch I am with my most authentic self (that is...my truest feeling on any given situation that would best inform my ideal attitude) in many instances....I also don't feel this unique individualized prespective benefits any area of my life.

So assuming I'm not alone in this generalized fogginess of the soul (pardon me those who don't believe in it; it's inconsequential in the end) I'm sure other people and other types have the same problem - they have strenghts...they don't even know what they are....and they've trained themselves in many cases to use other functions....or they simply have no idea that their own main functions can be strengthed to be their core foundation for living their life in an enpowered way.

á´…eparted

passages
I can be a manipulative bastard and get away with a significant amount of shit. That's the bad side. The good side is I can navigate situations in a very light contact manner and get quite a lot done at the same time. The job I am starting in 2 weeks will make use of this quite a bit.

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay guys I think this is a really good topic and no one took a bite!! I need input! I'm now firmly convinced being a NeFi does NOT mean you use those functions functionally. The more I read on Ne and Fi descriptions the more I see that I don't do any of that! And I'm assuming the same applies to other types. I wanna hear your thoughts! But don't just read this post and take it out of context....go up there and read what I wrote! Please!! :D

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But as I look at this concept of "use your strengths" I see clearly how the potential is there in me...and in a way, since I can't really escape my cognitive strengths, they always accompany me....

I'd argue that it is possible to escape the boundaries of your cognition. It is easier to just accept however your cognition works already, but I believe it is possible to change this, it just takes a lot of time and effort. We all change over time, though.

but they do not look to me as these powerful weapons at my disposable that they could be, at least in theory. It's as if I feel divorced from my own strengths...which again, is common in our society since our education doesn't really focus on us becoming self-aware or even self-appreciative of our uniqueness...but rather to conform to "what is needed".

Yes, I can relate to this. Many public schools, elementary schools in particular, seem intent on turning children into "worker drones" so they can efficiently operate in an office-cubicle world that is more and more becoming an obsolete view of the actual workplace. If they don't fit that mold, they are often given medication so that they will. It really is sad.

I'm sure other people and other types have the same problem - they have strenghts...they don't even know what they are....and they've trained themselves in many cases to use other functions....or they simply have no idea that their own main functions can be strengthed to be their core foundation for living their life in an enpowered way.

Our society certainly does value some functions over others, in my opinion sensory perception (Si/Se) and extroverted judgement (Te/Je) in particular. People who prefer intuitive perception (Ne/Ni) or introverted judgement (Fi/Ti) can struggle in this environment. Speaking for myself, I'd say I've been able to successfully hone my N and Ji functions in spite of this, although I might have honed them even more if I wasn't in this environment.