• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How are MBTI tests scored?

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What exactly do the MBTI tests most people take score on each of the questions? What are they measuring?
Usually they make you choose between two opposing character traits...but what is the test scoring exactly? E points or I points depending on which side of the spectrum you pick in that field?

If it's just a matter of how many Es,Is,Ss,Ns,Js,Ps,Ts,Fs you score.....then for me that explains why so many people seem to get mistyped. If type really IS predicated on cognitive functions, shouldn't most tests try and rate you in terms of which perceiving/judging functions you use? Are there such tests?

I get the feeling the mistypings have to do with what they tests are measuring. It's either that or the theory is just not sound at all we we all are living under a hoax :O :)p)

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think you'll find that if you do some research that there's basically no empirical evidence for the cognitive functions and type dynamics. You can look at some of reckful's epic posts for more details. So that either means that they are real but cannot be falsified (which is a faith-based definition of "real," I suppose) or that no one has been able to come up with a way to detect them empirically despite decades of trying.

There is solid evidence that the preferences that the MBTI measures correlate with all kinds of interesting thing and that strength of preference is significant, rather than the preferences being a dichotomous binaries. These characteristics makes the useful parts of the MBTI more like Big Five traits, but I think the MBTI has some real pluses over the Big Five (more neutral language, an openness to descriptions of combining preferences, etc).

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
[MENTION=34788]burningranger[/MENTION] —

I see Seymour gave me a shout-out, so I'll follow it up with a link (in case you're interested).

What I call the Real MBTI Model doesn't revolve around function stacks, and if you're open to a hefty helping of reality-based input on the relationship between the dichotomies and the functions, the place of the functions (or lack thereof) in the MBTI's history, and the tremendous gap between the dichotomies and the functions in terms of scientific respectability, you'll find a lot of potentially eye-opening discussion in this post and the posts it links to.

The final link at the end of that linked post ("Why I'm a dichotomies guy") is no longer functional, since the owner has taken INTJforum private, so I've put a long excerpt from that INTJforum post in the spoiler.

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm interesting. Funny how such a small group of people can affect a whole lot of people's thinking and worldview based on a few studies the end user doesn't even catch wind of. One can go to one's grave and firmly believe and defend a theory without realizing the creators were just drunk one night and decided to create a something just to fuck people's heads or to stroke their own ego :p How many possible permutation for psychological theories does our mind allow for I wonder :)

That pretty much answered the question guys. That being said I can see the function theory having some validaty despite there being no concrete evidence. As I like to say, science is merely the accounting of nature/reality. Most people who revolutionize any field have a hunch/intution first anyway....only then comes the proof. Or maybe we are just all making functions real by observing them and giving them credence! :O

This explains quite a lot then. It's no wonder I type like ENTP so often. And no wonder people get in pointless debates as to typing, when some are trying to rationalize what they see with function theory and contrasting that with the more apparent dichotomies at play. Maybe function theory IS real and I have a stronger Ti.....but someone might show up and say that can't happen cause ENFPs don't use Ti.

I have a hunch that it's one's ego's development that determines what functions we use. If the dichotomies are a less hollistic and more lower-level description of what we observe in people, I'd say all of those then ammount to what we can describe mroe holistically as the functions.Kinda like a rounding of all those charecteristics. And much like the enneagram and how one's core wound basically dictates one's way of approaching life (altho for me the wound is just the soul's prime charecteristic facing rejection by others/society)....I think we learn to also gravitate towards the use of certain functions based on social survival and what we deem to be safe in the context we grow up in. Of course, like I said, there's also an element of one's natural proclivaties...but I think we all actually have acess and are able to use all the functions pretty well. We just make some sort of choice or are conditioned early on to gravitate towards a certain side of things.

Thanks again guys :)

EDIT: typos...I'm becoming dyslexic the last couple of days I swear