• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne Users--Definitions of Extroversion and Introversion

j0mm

MBTI Type
ENFP
Hello hello.

So, many of you have probably recognized that extroversion and introversion have a slightly different meaning when it comes to MBTI typology. Traditional extroversion is especially difficult to relate to with Ne--a function that interacts with the environment abstractly. I've come up with some working definitions of extroversion and introversion and would like to know if ENTPs and ENFPs will relate to the E definition as a primary preference.

Also: any input from anyone about better word choice is appreciated. :)

Extroversion

You are most comfortable interacting with the world outside yourself. The external is full of interesting possibilities--whether that means exploring it or improving it.

This is a definition that should be true for Ne, Se, Te, and Fe users.

Introversion

You are most comfortable dealing with yourself. Your personal environment is what interests you most--whether that be your ideas, values, or physical needs.

This definition should be true for Ni, Si, Ti, and Fi users.

Thoughts?

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The thing about Ne is it is a more introvered sort of extroversion, which can make some ENFPs appear ambiverted - carrying traits of both introversion and extraversion. they enjoy ideas and socializing but also need alone time to explore all the possibilities and see where they fit. :)

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Hello hello.

So, many of you have probably recognized that extroversion and introversion have a slightly different meaning when it comes to MBTI typology. Traditional extroversion is especially difficult to relate to with Ne--a function that interacts with the environment abstractly. I've come up with some working definitions of extroversion and introversion and would like to know if ENTPs and ENFPs will relate to the E definition as a primary preference.

Also: any input from anyone about better word choice is appreciated. :)

This is a definition that should be true for Ne, Se, Te, and Fe users.

This definition should be true for Ni, Si, Ti, and Fi users.

Thoughts?

Hmm, you do have a point here. Ne for me takes on more than one form, well ok no. It's the same thing, but it looks different in different scenarios. When I'm interacting with people, sure, traditional "Extroversion" works there. There's definitely a mental process occuring at the same time, but outwardly, you're an obvious extrovert. When I'm on my own and exploring somewhere, I LOVE doing this! Just going on walks somewhere with no timeframe or other obligations to do that day and just let myself wander, typical extroversion wouldn't apply here since I'm alone. But, that same internal process is still going on in my head. So I guess my point here is, I feel a definition that ties to this mental process is what I would relate most to. Like, I am outside myself as you put it, but not really too. Ya know?

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Extroversion means objective and Introversion means subjective.

Se is an objective perception of reality, hence the connections to present tense, obtaining experiences, and go getting attitudes. Si is an subjective perception of reality, hence the connections to past tense, memories, and establishing comfort.

This is applicable to all eight functions.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
As a Ne dom I can speak on this topic well. Ne is extroverted in that it is intuition that reaches out to grasp at the external world in order to collect information in the intuitive realm. For me Ne is a extroverted function as I need outer stimilati to stimulate my intuition and without a outer source I quickly become boring and unimaginative :). It can be people to bounce ideas off or a book that runs my Ne or even writing shit down or hell even day dreaming on something outside and talking aloud.