• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP--Does IQ make a difference?

AprilLily1984

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My niece was visiting me, and I gave her the test (she's 18). It came up as ENTP. I am wondering how accurate this is because every description I read makes them seem like geniuses, but she definitely is not. In fact, I am not sure how well she even understood the questions to answer them properly, so this may or may not be accurate. She has slightly below average IQ--what would an ENTP with lower IQ act like and what would they be like as a child?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
typology isn't an intelligence test... arguably, intelligence tests aren't all that valuable in determining mental acuity either...

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
A ENTP with a low IQ will be well......... you know just like any other type with a low IQ in that they did badly on the test and nothing else. IQ tests have very narrow criteria to define smarts and intelligence. To me its a bit like having a Olympic completion but only featuring running and cycling and nothing else so those who have gifts in areas outside the parameters will not fare well even though on a level they may be more talented overall than the runners and cycles.

Im pretty sure your nieces IQ and her MBTI have no link at all and I wouldn't use a dumb test to assess her smarts as I think many who do poorly are super smart as I have seen on both theory and in my personal experience.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Question, how certain are you that your niece is "below average" in her intelligence?

Second, how certain are you that ENTP was an accurate result?

Also, a caveat, sometimes Ne, particularly as a dominant function, can exhibit as airheadedness in an individual.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Question, how certain are you that your niece is "below average" in her intelligence?

Second, how certain are you that ENTP was an accurate result?

Also, a caveat, sometimes Ne, particularly as a dominant function, can exhibit as airheadedness in an individual.

i am often accused of being both airheaded and intelligent quite often... i imagine that at least one of those has some level of merit (though perhaps not the one i would prefer)...

Metis

If she thinks she's an ENTP or tests as an ENTP, I wouldn't contradict it.

She has slightly below average IQ--what would an ENTP with lower IQ act like and what would they be like as a child?

Probably like your niece! I don't know; ask her what type she thinks she is.

But if you say, "I don't think you're an ENTP because you're not ___ or you are ___, unlike an ENTP," to a kid/youngster and she believes you, then she might start ruling out ENTP as a possibility and always be baffled about what type she is. She could become one of us weirdos who fluctuate between INTP/INFP/INFJ and back again constantly. Or in her case, she might fluctuate among lower-scoring IQ types (I have no idea what MBTI types are most likely to score lower on IQ tests) and never again seriously consider the possibility that she's just a good, old-fashioned ENTP.

I think I would support her ENTP-ness.

Besides, I'm an ENTP now. She's in. :nice:

AprilLily1984

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Question, how certain are you that your niece is "below average" in her intelligence? Second, how certain are you that ENTP was an accurate result? Also, a caveat, sometimes Ne, particularly as a dominant function, can exhibit as airheadedness in an individual.
She had a professional psychoeducational analysis done. So I say IQ but I'm not talking about one of those dinky online tests.
I'm not sure at all that ENTP was accurate which is why I asked the question.

Gone

She had a professional psychoeducational analysis done. So I say IQ but I'm not talking about one of those dinky online tests.

Don't rely on tests alone, take them as a starting point, observe, see what fits and what doesn't, then reevaluate. Are you familiar with cognitive functions? These should be able to help, too. Do you recognize dominant Ne in her? As an ENFP, it should be familiar to you. What about her method of judgement?
18 might be still a little young to type confidently though as especially the lower functions are still in development.

As for your question concerning intelligence/IQ, no, type is not an indicator of intelligence, one ENTP guy I know irl is insanely stupid, as in, how does he even breathe stupid.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Think about it like this. A person with a 160 IQ could have a car accident which damaged their brain, putting their IQ at around 80. They were an ENTP before the accident. They would remain an ENTP after the accident. Type has no bearing on IQ.

If you think of MBTI types as computer programs it's the system that processes and interprets data. The brain would be the user. The program is only as effective and versatile as the brain using it. If you stick a monkey on a computer you're not going to get much out of it except a messy computer.

AprilLily1984

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you recognize dominant Ne in her? As an ENFP, it should be familiar to you. What about her method of judgement?

Nope, that was why I was wondering what the difference would make. I can't see Ne dom in her, but she might have Ne or Ni somewhere in her stack. I just don't think it's dominant. I see some sensing in her too though, and always thought she was a sensor before she took the test. She doesn't show enough of what drives her judgment for me to determine if she is T or F. I was thinking ESFP or ESTP, but she probably is more T. Anyway, it doesn't really matter anyway since these tests really don't mean that much to her. I was just curious because every description I find of ENTP makes it seem like they are all highly intelligent.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The perception of Intelligence and the ability to hack peoples vanity, go hand in hand.

But when entps aint intrested in that, they can appear very dumb yes.