• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are 9w1 INTPs like in comparison to 5w4 INTPs?

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hmmmm going by tritype theory you can have both in a tritype and the classical INTP tri I would guess to be 5w4 9w1 3w4 but hmmm if we had to consider core hmmm. One thing to look at is positive outlook vs comtpency outlook. 9w1s being positive outlook would be far softer and far more inclined to see the sliver lining in the clouds so a INTP 9w1 will look more ISFJish in many ways due to the 9w1 and positive outlook in general amping up their Fe. 5w4 INTPs on he other hand are very competency outlook and can be super critical, negative and cynical as a result.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As an INTP with 5w4 and 9w1 in my tritype, I often display traits of both. I'd say that it does cause some internal conflict in me, as my 5w4 side tends to seek intellectual stimulation even if that means annoying people with theoretical questions or debate, while my 9w1 side urges me to avoid disturbing the peace even if that means less intellectual satisfaction. As a result I sometimes behave in self-contradictory ways, fluctuating between the two extremes. An INTP with only one of these in their tritype instead of both would probably tend towards one extreme or the other.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFP could be either 4ish or 9ish (though 4 in this case was the wing). The ISF/INP group (the “Behind the Scenes” interaction style) can be either the classic “Phlegmatic” temperament, or another one, called “Supine”, which is similar, but has more of an emotional energy than Phlegmatic. INTP tends to be more Phlegmatic, while INFP is often Supine. So even without the enneagram, a Supine INTP will seem more INFPish (and struggle with T/F).
9 is very Phlegmatic, while Supine would fit 6, along with 4 and 2. While the most stereotypical INTP will usually be strong 5, which itself is neither Supine nor Phlegmatic, but sort of mixes the Phlegmatic's reservedness with the criticalness of the NT (Choleric).
I would think an INTP 9 might be a less “serious”, but still Phlegmatic (calm, cool) version of the type, while the 4 (or 6) would be more Supine. Now, with the 1 wing, that will add some of the seriousness back, but the motivations will be I imagine different from the standard 5.
5 with the 4 wing will likely be a softer, more reflective version, and inbetween Phlegmatic and Supine.

While the ISFJ is also likely more Supine, they are probably more on the 2 side, along with 6 and likely also 4. The Phmegmatic variant would be 9, but a 1 wing would also likely go with the J-ishness. So a 9w1 INTP would be similar to a 9w1 ISFJ, but not as much to other ISFJ's. I think the SJ (as a kind of Melancholic) can also match 5, so I would think the 5w4 INTP might be more like the ISFJ, where the 9w1 would be a bit closer to the stereotypical INTP. It might also be more liike the typical INFP, where the 9w1 would be more like the less typical Phlegmatic INFP.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While the ISFJ is also likely more Supine, they are probably more on the 2 side, along with 6 and likely also 4.

I'm glad you acknowledged the 4 side of ISFJs, that's a side of them that I don't often see mentioned

I would think the 5w4 INTP might be more like the ISFJ, where the 9w1 would be a bit closer to the stereotypical INTP.

The 4 wing may also bring similarities to IxFP. INFP and ISFP are both "Behind the Scenes" types as well.