• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Any Tips On The MBTI Study I'm Working On?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I am pretty happy right now! I am running a study with two other people for my Statistics class on the MBTI.
The idea is to see if the type frequencies of my college (I plan to pick a random sample of sophomores/juniors/seniors) are similar to the distribution
the MBTI Manual had in the year 1998.
Type Statistics and Surveys
Here's the website.

I talked with my partners over what test we should use.
We decided on: http://similarminds.com/cgi-bin/newmb.pl
It's not too long and the test is reliable.
We decided that having a neutrality option was okay.

I was surprised to see that the F/T ratio for females the 1998 MBTI Manual had was as high as 3/1.
I wonder if we'll get similar results.
I'm a guy who really had to think through the idea of whether I was T or F, I wonder how many T girls are wearing F clothing.

Along with the test I am going to distribute a survey asking for background characteristics: Greek/NonGreek, Male/Female, Sophomore/Junior/Senior, Engineer/Other, Which Region Did You Live In During Senior Year Of High School? Those Southerners are mighty strange compared to us Northerners, ;), jk- of course.

I am tempted to add a question asking for peoples' SAT scores but that is probably a little invasive.
Anyone have tips for other good background characteristics (besides the ones I have) I can look for?

Also I have two predictions to make: I think that the population of Duke is more Intuitive and Judging than the typical U.S population- giving the same amount of Guardians, more Rationals, more Idealists, and less Artisans.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I would agree with your predictions. Are you really only offering "Engineer" and "Other," though? I'd probably refine that to something like Science & Engineering/Pre-Law/Pre-Medicine/Humanities.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Ivy, very true.
I forgot to mention why we decided on only doing Engineer and non-Engineer.
There are two separate schools: Trinity (Arts and Sciences) and Pratt (Engineering), so we decided it was easiest to do that.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Check the bibliography at CAPT: Training, Books, Research for MBTI, Archetypes, Leadership, Psychological Type. for your lit review (on their research page). There should be other college population studies out there.

If you're checking engineering, you might look at the education articles from
Richard Felder: Resources in Science and Engineering Education
He teaches engineering at NCSU and had major success changing the program to better meet the needs of S and N students.

A lot of MBTI practitioners think that the current form overidentifies Feeling types, overcorrecting for what may have been a problem with the old form...

Most 4-year programs have overrepresentation of IN's--we invented college :)

You could ask how satisfied they are with their program or if/when they decided on a major, etc. Might make it a bit more interesting...