• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are NT's so rare as the main characters?

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
The main character is usually a SP and SJ.

NT are usually the evil scientist or the smart guy in a group. Why is this?

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your second sentence answers your third sentence.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTPs are notoriously passive characters -- they serve better as sources of information or eccentric SME's.

ENTJs are stereotypical organized and efficient world-class villains. (Notice too how heroes are generally reactive? They are trying to stop a villain from doing something? Hence ENTJ make better villains than heroes in Western stories.)

ENTPs are engaging but can be all over the place and unfocused; they seem to make better friends and sidekicks.

I would say it's most common for INTJs to show up as story heroes -- they have direction, they have vision, and they have focus.

Atomic Fiend

Easier to write for. There's an old saying "write what you know". I assume this is the same reason we're just now seeing proper representation in fiction.

However the NT main character isn't as rare as those even. I can rattle off a list of Superheroes, detectives, Scientist dragged into bad situations by their expertise (A favorite of Roland Emmerich)... I don't know if those are genre's you have an interest in though. Now these are all up for debate, but for myself typing is an art not a science, and I'm not going to specify what type I believe they are, because fuck that. I do think they fit under the NT umbrella though.

Reed Richards is the first that comes to mind, he's the leader of the Fantastic Four and dubiously the smartest man in the Marvel Universe.
There's also Tony Stark himself, who is famously the star at the start of one of the highest grossing film franchises created if not the highest in the last decade.
There's Sherlock Holmes himself, and all of his incarnations throughout the time of his inception.
Speaking of Inception... Actually no I hated that movie. I feel as if Leonardo's character Cobb was one. I don't remember enough about that film
In the series Runaways before it the twist spoiler ending of the first story the leader of that group was Alex Wilder.
One of the most important characters in the entire Godzilla franchise is Dr. Serizawa, the creator of the only thing that can kill the great lizard, the Oxygen Destroyer. His actions are the most important only after Godzilla himself of the entire film.
Lelouch from Code Geass I've heard famously called an NT. I haven't seen the show because... I don't want to.
Like I said, many characters from Roland Emmerichs films. Nick Tattopolis from Godzilla 97, The father and son from The Day after Tomorrow, Jeff Goldblooms character in Independance Day...

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
three musketeers? *shrugs* not as rare as you may think, though obviously not predominant... *walks off*

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
I think of myself as the main character of a story and there are 3 possibilities:

A) nothing EVER happens

B) I should react to some event and I don't, or I react in a way that is strange and everybody says WTF, nad everything continues its course as if I didn't exist

C) I want to react, so I start thinking of all the possible things I could do, and by the time I make up my mind, I'm 90 and the problem solved itself (or came another type and solved it for me).

I don't know if the character is NT, but the book Notes from the Underground by Dostoyevsky is what would happen: nothing, a wordless soliluquy. And nobody likes that book :(

I do believe there are some INTJ characters here and there. I don't know about ENTPs, but for some reason I imagine them chatting with the villain and while explaing them why they're wrong, unconsciously involve themselves in the villain's plan, ruin the city, then run the mayhem group in the underground slums, make a bible explode into fireworks and run naked yelling "I did it!" and then disappear to never been seen again. It'd be fun to watch.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Theres tons of ENTJ/P representation in movies. The prejudice isn't really against NT types but against introverts (and to a lesser extent thinkers) because they just aren't very good sources of external and visible action and drama. When I think of movies with introverted thinkers as main characters I think of boring oscar bait and indie flicks.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
INTJ MCs: about 20 minutes in before they say "fuck it" and start devising ways to ruin the entire setup. Throw in a complaint or a side glance every time someone is incompetent for flavour.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
"Why are NT's so rare as the main characters?"

Because we don't have to audition for a role to rule the world, lead it into peace, or bring about its ruin.

Jokes aside, you wouldn't like your movie to end as fast as it began. In the instance you're mentioning, you enjoy the experience, the ups and downs, the intrigue, the emotional drama, the character development, the Deus Ex Machina, the closure, the apotheosis,...etc. Therfore, unless you want to enjoy 10 seconds micro-movies or half a sentence novels, I see no use to summon NT bastards.

Lead Guitar Wankery

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Most fictional characters aren't depicted in enough detail or a sufficient number of situations to be typed. Thus the question is moot...unless perhaps re-phrased "Why are NT traits so rare in main characters?"

Metis

In the instance you're mentioning, you enjoy the experience, the ups and downs, the intrigue, the emotional drama, the character development, the Deus Ex Machina, the closure, the apotheosis,...etc. Therfore, unless you want to enjoy 10 seconds micro-movies or half a sentence novels, I see no use to summon NT bastards.

Yeah, we just don't apotheosize in front of everyone like that. If and when we do it, we don't share the credit with the antagonist. Nor do we need you to watch and adore.

Antigone could have been an INTP, easily. I relate to her stubbornness. I'm sure many view her as an NF just because of the Joan-of-Arc/martyr situation. For that matter, Joan of Arc could be an NT, too. A lot of protagonists who stand on principle can be read/played as NTs, I'm sure. They don't have to be presented as "intellectuals".

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
entjs and intps always want to be the main character but dont manage to do so.
intjs and entps never want to be the main character, they'ld rather bite a leg off.

So the World is ruled by dumbasses. I know that sucks, but I cant help it, I am busy figuring out this sudoko puzzle..

Metis

the World is ruled by dumbasses. I know that sucks, but I cant help it

Don't underestimate yourself. We're all counting on you, ENTP. Come on, I know it sounds hopeless now, but you've got to try at least. You're the only one who truly understands how the Dumb Asses think, and yet you can resist falling into their logic. You can't give up on us now!!!

:scruples:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Don't underestimate yourself. We're all counting on you, ENTP. Come on, I know it sounds hopeless now, but you've got to try at least. You're the only one who truly understands how the Dumb Asses think, and yet you can resist falling into their logic. You can't give up on us now!!!

:scruples:

And that you say without remorse....

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
NT heroes work best in stories with an emphasis on unraveling mysteries and uncovering truths.

Think Richard Dreyfuss in Close Encounters, or Spock-centric and Data-centric Star Trek episodes (or Picard, an INTJ, and one of the most popular ST captains, for that matter), Dr. Who, or Sherlock Holmes, as others already pointed out.

I actually much prefer these types of heroes, those who use their minds more to solve problems or bring justice.

I do love Indiana Jones, an SP, however, but he also used his mind a lot and there was that nerdy professor side to him that made him a more interesting hero.

Ivy Sparrow

MBTI Type
ENTP
Thats easy. We are no damsels in distress. Nor are we knights in shining armour. We are freaking geniuses who are always one step ahead of you, with a cynical view of life and an upbeat sense of humour, who probably just want to see the world burn.. sounds worthy of a villian to me:D. But I can find some examples of ENTP main characters.
Like, did anyone watch the disney Hercules? Megera seems very ENTPish to me.. But a very gaurded one for that matter. What do y'all think?

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
NT heroes work best in stories with an emphasis on unraveling mysteries and uncovering truths.

Think Richard Dreyfuss in Close Encounters, or Spock-centric and Data-centric Star Trek episodes (or Picard, an INTJ, and one of the most popular ST captains, for that matter), Dr. Who, or Sherlock Holmes, as others already pointed out.

I actually much prefer these types of heroes, those who use their minds more to solve problems or bring justice.

I do love Indiana Jones, an SP, however, but he also used his mind a lot and there was that nerdy professor side to him that made him a more interesting hero.

I have noticed in several stories SP are usually the popular protagonist, followed by SJ. NFs and NTs are unsual. I agree that I always preferred NT protagonist. They are far more interesting using that brains for the situation for the story.

I have notices several stories whereas they made INTP fight INTJ by using their brains and try to outsmart each other. I thought that was very interesting.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
I hate to advertise, but well.

...Roosterteeth's Camp Camp series and RvB series both have INTJs as main characters.

They are GRUMPY. DICKS.

Despicable Me also has an INTJ main character.

He is a grumpy dick.

I hope yall see the pattern of what I'm trying to say here. (At least Austen's INTJs are less grumpy dicks and more pragmatic, I guess.)

(Noah fence, INTJs. Still love some of you. Okay. Maybe one or two of you.)