• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How do you experience your tertiary function?

Krys

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How do you experience your tertiary function? How does it act as a weakness, and how does it act as a strength?

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm an INFJ with a heavy-Ti. My tertiary function is quite well developed, most of the time taking Fe's place.

It is some sort of weakness because of how strong it is. Ideally, it shouldn't be that way, which leads me to unhealthy behaviors in Ni-Ti loops. It is a strength because I can be very analytical and rational, which is a positive thing.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's associated with a sort of "child" complex, and so, it can "leap" up and act strong, but it is still vulnerable and less mature.
For me (Si), it's about nostalgia, but meanwhile, shorter term memory for more serious things can be weak.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For a generally adventurous and forward-looking person, when I'm upset I might become very nostalgic and/or take comfort in sensations, activities, movies, books, games, etc that are familiar to me. In particular I like certain films and shows that my wife calls my comfort food.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hmm for me tert Fe shows in that I am generally a friendly and amiable person who wants to be well liked and be seen as "good" in many ways by others. It shows as a relief function in that I like to be a troll and play with social stuff plus I also like to use Fe in a sledgehammer manner to make people behave themselves. Just think of how Wilders Wonka uses his Fe and thats my use of Fe overall.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
In some ways, I find Te to be a bit of trickster for me. To reveal the ending first, it can often leave me feeling more T than F at times. When it's well incorporated in something I'm pursuing, it feels fantastic. I'm seeing my ideas and visions take hold in a productive way, and helps to expedite the process to boot! It can also really boost my self-confidence since one thing I can struggle with at times is feeling inadequate due to not having accomplished as much as I feel I should've here and there. This boost in confidence also pushes me to do more and to act. As you can imagine, these perspectives also lend me a sort of admiration for Te doms /auxs.

However, if you have already picked up on this chain of events and thinking of mine and know where I'm headed, Te can also be my downfall if I allow it too much leeway. Because of this boost in confidence and self esteem, naturally, one would want more! So I twist my functions around and instead of passing judgment on things through my Fi, I begin to pass judgment through Te, including my judgment towards people. I could potentially then, find myself in an Ne/Te loop where I'm short with people, have lessened compassion for their personal needs, and approach things with a more "cut and dry" mentality.

Overall, Te can be great, but there is a temptation there for me to want more and more and to stray too far from my personal values.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I use Ti when doing creative work. The function gives me a degree of structural control. Besides that, I don't have any pronounced contact with it. Certainly, I don't experience any "tertiary loops" though Ti is my second most used function.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I love my tertiary function (Ne). They call tertiary function the relief for a reason.

Ne makes me a goof. I'm quirky, do weird things just for the fun of it, and have a random mind that surprises everyone. I can come up with anything on the spot and I'm an excellent improviser. Ne is my spontaneity, the part of me that goes on adventures and tries things for the fun of it. Ne helps me think deeply, come up with theories, stretch my intellectual boundaries. If Si is the anxious parent, Ne is the rebellious child.

So many ESFJs appear like ENFPs. Everyone around me says I'm an ENFP and I just go along with it (because my extensive knowledge of MBTI is embarrassing). However, unlike an ENFP, Ne is something I can turn on and off. Fe and Si are ahead of it to check it. It's like a weapon I wield (a weapon of fun, of course) that I can take in and out of its sheath. The Fe-Ne interaction I have makes me fun, bubbly, and creative, while Si--what truly makes me an SJ--hides beneath the surface.

Sometimes I actually pity ENxPs because Ne is always going for them. That must be really exhausting and probably not as fun as tertiary Ne. That being said, having constant Fe can also be really difficult.

Lead Guitar Wankery

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I guess Si gives me a certain feeling of contentment by way of the sensation of comfort and "rightness" in body.

I also have a lot of unpleasant and enduring "body memories," such as the physical experience of anger. I have battles between Si and my will, wanting to try something again but held back by my aversion to re-experiencing the physiological manifestations of certain emotions.