• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best Descriptions on the Web of Your MBTI Type

Usehername

On a mission
After reading thoughts on the subpar/misguided information thread re: MBTI type descriptions, it's time to collect the best of what's out there.

So,

Post your type, and a ranking of your favourite descriptions you've found on the web regarding your type. If you want to include poor descriptions and why these are poor (not just for you specifically but why the description doesn't fit your type properly) go ahead. Primarily, though, please post your best descriptions you've found.

Everyone research their own type really thoroughly, so we can get a great collection. :)

I'll add stuff after my class later.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Post your type, and a ranking of your favourite descriptions you've found on the web regarding your type. If you want to include poor descriptions and why these are poor (not just for you specifically but why the description doesn't fit your type properly) go ahead. Primarily, though, please post your best descriptions you've found....

The absolute best website I've found is Best-Fit Type : Exploring the Multiple Models of Personality Type. I think highly of both the website and the book that it's exerpted from ( Amazon.com: The 16 Personality Types, Descriptions for Self-Discovery: Linda V. Berens, Dario Nardi: Books ). The authors of this website interviewed numerous people of each type --types verified by professional type theorists, not just people who dabble in MBTI stuff-- and they were careful to use phrases from the interviewees themselves in the descriptions, so as not to unconsciously taint the descriptions with their own preferences. I've not only clarified my best type fit through this, but know of other people who have said that these definitions are the best they've ever seen. I could have written the ISFP type description myself, it sounds so much like me: ISFP. this site also has a wealth of information on temperament affects a host of real-life situations, as well as links to other related websites (by the same authors) wtih detailed information on temperament, cognitive processes, and interaction styles. In addition to all that, it offers a free temperament test that's not only easier to take for people who prefer Sensing (I think), but has the potential to produce much more accurate results for a lot of people, given the way the questions are worded. Careerstrength(TM) Step 1 On this test, I show a clear preference for the SP temperament, unlike the mixed and confusing results I get on most type tests that don't do a very good job of explaining the N-S difference, much less go into why certain cognitive processes relate to certain type patterns.

I also highly appreciate The Personality Page . Like bestfittype, this website also goes into detail about how each type's cognitive process preferences shape their overall pattern. I really respect how the author(s) have tried to steer away from bias by calling attention to the fact that all types have a natural intelligence and a wide range of behavioral traits. (many other sites assume a narrow set of behaviors for each type, which gets very annoying to read through if you don't fit their hypoethetical idea of what yoru type "ought" to be like.) I particularly like the page on personal growth, and felt it was useful enough for me to print out and keep handy by my books on type as a reminder to stop automatically turning to my favorite function to solve all my problems. Portrait of an ISFP
ISFP Personal Growth

For anyone who wants good quality free information, I highly recommend both sites, and I haven't found anything else that even remotely compares to them. Some other sites aren't terrible, but they aren't very helpful either. Sometimes being unhelpful can be all it takes to contribute to bias and misinformation being touted as "fact". For example, the Keirsey website attempts to be positive-sounding overall, but fails in that it links some pretty extreme examles of contextual behaviro with certain types/temperaments so that it sounds as if the author is saying that everyone of that type does ___. I notice the negativity the strongest when I look at the way Keirsey's ISTJ and ESTJ descriptions make them sound like mindless, humorless automatons.

Sarah
ISFP

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Nice, Sarah, but I already posted most of those. NER NER NER. ;)

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFP

I'll have to re-read the above INFP links before I comment on them, but the following are the best ones I can think of to describe INFPs.

E. Buie -> INFP Profile

NF-Idyllic - 629-infps-you.html#post16519

Doh! :doh: and how could I have forgotton a link to the BW INFP description here. I might not agree with everything in it, but overall think its a very good read.
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/2238-infp-profile.html

Quick impressions of the above INFP links

linus.highpoint.edu/~bblatchl/infp.html

Good find - Looks like a compilation page that was probably made by an actual INFP, lots of good information gathered and put in one page. I did not read it in its entirety, but a quick skim did not show anything I'd complain about for accuracy.

I've seen this one before, another one that compiles information from several sources. Reasonably good content - no complaints

Overall a fairly good page, but the Mother Teresa refernece in regard to INFPs disturbs me (I do NOT beleive she is a Fi dominant - the previous lifeexplorer link types her as an INFJ and another site (PersonalityDesk - Learning Center - ISFJ in Careers, Relationships, Leadership, Parenting) types her as ISFJ which is a lot more believable to me), and while I don't take issue with anythign else there, a claim like that makes me question the credibility of everythign else on the page.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

Yes, that's right. I generally prefer socionics descriptions, but if I have to choose an MBTI one, the website sarah posted is definitely the best. I just don't relate to some parts like:

I am my own worst critic. I want perfect achievement of myself, and sometimes I have a fear of suddenly waking up and being known as someone who doesn’t really know anything.

Anyway, if I really had to choose the best one, it would be this:

ENTj profile by Stratiyevskaya: revised version - The16types.info

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Nice, Sarah, but I already posted most of those. NER NER NER. ;)

I was contributing my vote for these two sites as being the best. NER NER NER back at ya. :happy2:

Sarah
ISFP

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Overall a fairly good page, but the Mother Teresa refernece in regard to INFPs disturbs me (I do NOT beleive she is a Fi dominant - the previous lifeexplorer link types her as an INFJ and another site (PersonalityDesk - Learning Center - ISFJ in Careers, Relationships, Leadership, Parenting) types her as ISFJ which is a lot more believable to me), and while I don't take issue with anythign else there, a claim like that makes me question the credibility of everythign else on the page.

I agree. Claims about types of famous people turn me off, and I can't help but devalue all the rest of the "information" on the page. That said, if an author wants to tentatively propose a guess for some body's type, that's different than simply posting a list of "Famous INFPs" as if that were the last word on the topic. I also don't think much of the accuracy and fairness of a website if all the people listed in the NF columms are wonderful artists and humanitarians who have contributed greatly to the good of this world, but the people listed in the SP column are mostly crooked politicians, bimbos and playboys who made life miserable for a lot of people, or who got famous for "achievements" of dubious worth. Such bigotry tells me the authors haven't bothered to find positive examples of each type that most everyone of each type would want to identify with, even if their lives aren't similar, and the fact that they didn't bother tells me more about the authors' prejudices than about the types they disparage.

Oh, and stupid type guesses for famous people (like those websites that list everyone you can think of who did any achievement at all as preferring iNtuition) make me question the author's intelligence as well as his or her knowledge of type. :p

Sarah
ISFP

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I despise the descriptions of Berens.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
[YOUTUBE="zfXnrAgLwrs"]:D best description eva[/YOUTUBE]

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I thought you were going to bed, mister?