• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you just let things come to you or do you do something to get it?

frustratedcow

MBTI Type
INFP
"Relax, what's meant to be will be." or "If you want something, chase it."

Which of the two quotes do you believe more?

MyCupOfTea

MBTI Type
INxP
The former implies to things which one desires but it's not in their power to control the outcome. The latter is a matter or motivation: how much one is willing to sacrifice in order to get what's desired.

I'm still learning to tell apart those two.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to follow rivers rather than building dams. I do take some action, but try to make choices that align with natural processes to get the maximum result for the least effort.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The latter. Fate is an illusion, the universe favors no one. Seize the day.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
TBH, I'm mostly a laid-back person. Most things don't really affect me one way or another.

However, when I DO want something yes, I WILL get it. No matter how impossible a feat it may seem.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I go get it. I'm just selective about what I go get.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Depends. If an opportunity comes by chance I will take it. If it is something I truly want to do, I will put in the effort and do it. So both I'd say.

HisKittyKat

MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
4w5
It depends on what I'm going after, if it's something I really want I usually get it.

That said, there are very few things in my mind worth chasing. I Def don't chase after ppl or relationships however I have chased after a Jobs in the past and got them. These days I haven't been experiencing anything worth while going after, I let's the good times roll and hope for the best.

Yay

MBTI Type
INFP
Sometimes in order to be successful you have to go for what you want. You'll never know if you don't try.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Life is about finding what the appropriate balance of those two is.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Both quotes are correct. The first one applies a lot to sports fanatics. They get angry or upset when the front office does something stupid but as fans, they really have little control over the situation so "relaxing" and "what's meant to be will be" is good advice to follow to avoid hurt feelings.

The second quote (as the 2nd poster correctly pointed out) applies more to reasonable goals that can be attained, like getting a cheeseburger.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The former. Although I'm learning better as of now.

Atomic Fiend

Life owes you nothing. I wouldn't count on it to give me anything, so I have to make an effort to get it.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well it really depends on the situation. I'm more inclined to relax and let things be, especially when it comes to reaching out to people because shyness lol :3 but if the situation calls for it you have to go after what you want, seize the opportunities that come your way. I think life is a mix of simultaneously rushing and waiting, only relying on one would likely lead to trouble.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't believe in fate and I don't think that what's meant to be will be. I think that the latter quote holds more truth, but it isn't perfect to me. Most of the time, you're gonna have to put some effort into obtaining success. But you also have to know that you can't get everything you want, even if you work hard to get it.

I must admit that even though I'm an advocate of the latter quote, I don't necessarily follow it. I'm a lazy fuck.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm directly in the middle between the two. Though my gut says "run full speed at it," i know better. If I always did my Ne would run completely wild and it would be chaos.

beloiseau

I initially assumed you were referring to mental things. So, yes, I wait. But I do things to assist in results--such as reading and eliminating TV. It broadens my knowledge base and triggers my imagination, eventually flooding my mind with the realizations I was searching for.

As for in life, I suppose I work for things. I understand how my present will impact my future to the point where I have to be doing something that will benefit future me. Otherwise, I feel directionless and hopeless.

Lark

I used to believe the later, experience taught me the former is more like it.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
This is tough, because I would say I blend the two. have a destination, but I wouldn't say I charge at it directly or fight for what I want.

It's more like I'm sailing and adjusting to the weather. So I take the "weather" as it is and relax, but I am good at adjusting/compensating for what is happening, to ensure I get where I want to go. I think my issue is that when there is no wind, I don't use my oars to row my way there with brute strength. I prefer to take a very dipsy-doodly route with the wind, than have to muscle my way somewhere.