• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

T vs F, my take

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think a lot of people misunderstand the difference between the thinking and feeling functions. I will demonstrate the difference using this clip:

(Warning, the videos might be slightly disturbing)

Just skip to the four minutes part. The boy in piloting the Evangelion unit 01 (the purple robot) is Shinji and the other Eva unit was infected and mutated into an angel (the enemies they're fighting). Shinji refuses to fight the opponent because he knows there's a pilot stuck in the other Eva, unable to get out. He was unwilling to fight the other Eva unit because he could empathise with the pilot. This is a Feeling function. The one used here, I believe is Fi.

Now when he refused to do it, they switched to what is called a 'Dummy Plug' which is a copy of the personality of the blue haired girl, Rei. The dummy plug mercilessly attacks the other unit and even pulls out the plug and crushes it, essentially attacking the pilot. Feeling empathy for the pilot doesn't change the fact that the other Eva is the enemy and needs to be destroyed. So essentially, the dummy plug did what needed to be done. This is Te.

Which approach is the more correct one? Should one just attack the robot (Te) without caring for the pilot (Fi)? In the end, one can shun Fi users as being weak and too emotional while failing to realize that Te is way too superficial and only sees what is readily apparent. Of course, it can be said about Fi that it is too deep doesn't see what needs to be seen. This is why I subscribe to the idea of function axes than functions acting in vacuum.

My understanding of Fi doms and auxes is that they need their actions (Te) to be in tune with their inner system of morals (Fi). This is what I believe to be the case for Shinji who I type as INFP (this is my subjective typing). However, Te users don't need this to happen all the time, which I believe to be the case for the dummy plug, a copy of Rei's personality, an ISTJ. However, this doesn't mean Te doms and auxs can ignore their Fi. We see both Rei and the other pilot Asuka, (not in this video) an ESTJ break down emotionally at some point.

Asuka especially is a good example of an emotional thinker. This clip speaks volumes:

I will do the same for Fe if you think this is accurate. Please share your opinions.

Edit: In the second clip, Asuka screams, "none of this is the real me" You can see a clear disconnect from her identity, which I think is a manifestation of Fi.

Also none of the people in this show are healty individuals, so this doesn't represent all thinkers.