• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What do you think the Myers-Briggs of the typical genius is?

What is the typical genius type?

• ENFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENFJ

• ENTP

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • ENTJ

• ESFP

• ESFJ

• ESTP

• ESTJ

• INFP

• INFJ

• INTP

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • INTJ

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • ISFP

• ISFJ

• ISTP

• ISTJ

• Total voters

TheGodson

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
???
My vote is for INTJ.

Introvert, because I think of the quiet bookish type person when I think of a genius.

Intuitive, because that is like deep philosophical type people.

Thinking, because... well I think this one is fairly obvious.

Judging, this one was close. I think of the messy disorganized mad scientist, but I also envision all those academic people in schools who have matching pens for different subjects. Also the overly neurotic genius people that categorize everything and must have things a certain way. I also imagine geniuses to have a stick up their butt more so than being care free.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
MBTI stats indicate that N is the largest MBTI-related contributor to standard, academic-related aspects of "intelligence" — and by a substantial margin — but introversion is a significant secondary contributor. There are lots of personality characteristics that more than one of the MBTI (and Big Five) dimensions have an influence on — and depending on what specific kind of intelligence somebody's focusing on, I think it's probably fair to say that three or four of the MBTI dimensions can potentially end up coming into play.

Tables 11.5 and 11.6 of the 1998 MBTI Manual show the results of two collections of studies, one involving tests of aptitude (IQ, SAT, ACT, etc.) and one involving grades or class standing. Each collection totals over 21,000 students. The Manual notes: "With only a few exceptions, IN types consistently obtained ranks, as predicted from theory, as the highest four types for both academic aptitude and grades. ... Perceiving types tended to rank higher on aptitude and Judging types on achievement."

Here are the types in rank order from Table 11.5 (16 aptitude samples):

INTP
INFP
INTJ
INFJ
ENTP
ENFP
ENTJ
ENFJ

ISTP
ISFP
ISTJ
ISFJ
ESTP
ESFP
ESTJ
ESFJ

And here are the types in rank order from Table 11.6 (15 samples involving grades or class standing):

INTJ
INFJ
INTP
INFP
ENTJ
ENFJ
ENTP
ENFP

ISTJ
ISFJ
ISTP
ISFP
ESTJ
ESFJ
ESTP
ESFP

Both the aptitude and grades tables are in perfect order from the standpoint of a dichotomy-centric explanation that says:

• For aptitude, the preference contributors (in order) are N, I, P and T.

• For grades, the preference contributors (in order) are N, I, J and T.

Here's a study of 5,700 gifted adolescents where the self-selection ratios for the types (i.e., the ratio of their percentage among the gifted population to their percentage of the general population) were as follows:

INTP 3.4
INTJ 2.87
INFP 2.68
INFJ 2.67
ENTP 2.32
ENFP 2.03
ENTJ 1.49
ENFJ 1.26
ISTJ 0.99
ISTP 0.78
ESTP 0.49
ISFJ 0.40
ISFP 0.40
ESFP 0.28
ESTJ 0.26
ESFJ 0.24

The order isn't quite as tidy as for those two MBTI Manual tables (especially for the T/F and J/P dimensions), but with the exception of the ESTPs, all the other types are in perfect order in relation to primary-N, secondary-I contributions.

tl;dr: If you're looking for raw, aptitudinal Einsteinian potential, I'd say the smart money's on INTP.

TheGodson

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
???
Wow, nice post. Interesting how introversion/extroversion has a stronger correlation than feeling/thinking.

HisKittyKat

MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
4w5
My guess is XNTJ. I think introverted and extroverted Intuitive thinkers have their own source of advantages and disadvantages. Te in my mind is by far the most Intelligent function, I truly believe this. Remaining objective in all or most circumstances is sexy and rare. As a Te user myself I don't use this function to the same capacity as NTJs however my understanding of Te is excellent.

I tend to believe that Te is the superior function between the two thinking functions. OK, don't hate me heh, this is just my own personal belief, no ruffled feathers k.

Ti is Intelligent in their own right bc I also happen to believe we can have an Independent subjective opinion that is logical and rational.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
MBTI stats indicate that N is the largest MBTI-related contributor to standard, academic-related aspects of "intelligence" — and by a substantial margin — but introversion is a significant secondary contributor. There are lots of personality characteristics that more than one of the MBTI (and Big Five) dimensions have an influence on — and depending on what specific kind of intelligence somebody's focusing on, I think it's probably fair to say that three or four of the MBTI dimensions can potentially end up coming into play.

Tables 11.5 and 11.6 of the 1998 MBTI Manual show the results of two collections of studies, one involving tests of aptitude (IQ, SAT, ACT, etc.) and one involving grades or class standing. Each collection totals over 21,000 students. The Manual notes: "With only a few exceptions, IN types consistently obtained ranks, as predicted from theory, as the highest four types for both academic aptitude and grades. ... Perceiving types tended to rank higher on aptitude and Judging types on achievement."

Here are the types in rank order from Table 11.5 (16 aptitude samples):

INTP
INFP
INTJ
INFJ
ENTP
ENFP
ENTJ
ENFJ

ISTP
ISFP
ISTJ
ISFJ
ESTP
ESFP
ESTJ
ESFJ

And here are the types in rank order from Table 11.6 (15 samples involving grades or class standing):

INTJ
INFJ
INTP
INFP
ENTJ
ENFJ
ENTP
ENFP

ISTJ
ISFJ
ISTP
ISFP
ESTJ
ESFJ
ESTP
ESFP

Both the aptitude and grades tables are in perfect order from the standpoint of a dichotomy-centric explanation that says:

• For aptitude, the preference contributors (in order) are N, I, P and T.

• For grades, the preference contributors (in order) are N, I, J and T.

Here's a study of 5,700 gifted adolescents where the self-selection ratios for the types (i.e., the ratio of their percentage among the gifted population to their percentage of the general population) were as follows:

INTP 3.4
INTJ 2.87
INFP 2.68
INFJ 2.67
ENTP 2.32
ENFP 2.03
ENTJ 1.49
ENFJ 1.26
ISTJ 0.99
ISTP 0.78
ESTP 0.49
ISFJ 0.40
ISFP 0.40
ESFP 0.28
ESTJ 0.26
ESFJ 0.24

The order isn't quite as tidy as for those two MBTI Manual tables (especially for the T/F and J/P dimensions), but with the exception of the ESTPs, all the other types are in perfect order in relation to primary-N, secondary-I contributions.

tl;dr: If you're looking for raw, aptitudinal Einsteinian potential, I'd say the smart money's on INTP.

:shocking: ^^^ Whatever this user's type is ...

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I mean, an INTJ made that really big post you referenced above and I am totally gonna side with you on it.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I mean, an INTJ made that really big post you referenced above and I am totally gonna side with you on it.
That's not genius, it's searching the literature - which I did appreciate.

I would put my money on INTP, for reasons already referenced. I suppose it all comes down to how one defines "genius". I can see different types having different sorts of genius: mathematical, artistic, mechanical, linguistic, etc.