• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do we dismiss the notion that thinkers could be more emotional than feelers?

Scapegoated 4 fun

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
LOL selfishness? Only if you feel that you SOULD deal with your emotions on a logical level instead of let them take care, then you are not analyzing it instinctively, you are forcing yourself into doing something you are not really naturally inclined.

Exactly, some people are naturally inclined toward selfish behaviors, others are not. The uninhibited expression of potentially harmful emotions is simply one form of selfish behavior.

tchudak

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Exactly, some people are naturally inclined toward selfish behaviors, others are not. The uninhibited expression of potentially harmful emotions is simply one form of selfish behavior.
Perhaps it's only poor control, which could be even a T reaction as Ts are not well equipped to manage emotions, instead of selfishness.

Scapegoated 4 fun

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Perhaps it's only poor control, which could be even a T reaction as Ts are not well equipped to manage emotions, instead of selfishness.

I'd think having less emotions would make your emotions easier to control but I could be wrong

tchudak

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd think having less emotions would make your emotions easier to control but I could be wrong

I don't think you are wrong, but I don't see the amount of emotions as a T/F thing. What matters in evaluating T/F when it comes to emotions, is how one deals with it.

Scapegoated 4 fun

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
So all Thinkers have less amounts of emotions than Feelers?

No, I'd say the opposite, that's why we're so intent on convincing the world that we're emotionless robots, vice versa for feelers.
Not all, but most*

Permabanned

tchudak

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I'd say the opposite, that's why we're so intent on convincing the world that we're emotionless robots, vice versa for feelers.
Not all, but most*

People who think/act like they are robots are either fake bastards or have some sort of mental illness. I do believe, though, that people are different. Some Thinkers have stronger emotions, others fit well in the "cold/few emotions" stereotype. The same applies to Feelers, some have strong emotions, others not so much. Again, what matters is how one deals with it.

Scapegoated 4 fun

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
...People who think/act like they are robots are either fake bastards or have some sort of mental illness...

I didn't intend for it to be taken that literally. What I mean is that, thinkers are generally more concerned with presenting an emotionless/less emotional face to the world, whereas feelers are more concerned with presenting an emotional face to the world

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Compare it to pumping iron.

Yes, too much will damage your body, but a balanced exercise routine will in fact benefit you in the long run. And, those strong emotions are apiece of cake for someone who is passionate about training that muscle and has years of training in that field - even if the situation would be utterly dangerous to laymen.

Meanwhile having a low volume of emotions still puts you seriously at risk when those muscles are atrophied.

Avoidance isnt gonna make you stronger in the physical realm, and the same is true for the emotional realm. Just, make sure that you have a balanced regiment and ask for someone to spot you if you feel in over your head :shrug:

Scapegoated 4 fun

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Compare it to pumping iron.

Yes, too much will damage your body, but a balanced exercise routine will in fact benefit you in the long un. And, those strong emotions are apiece of cake for someone who is passionate about training that muscle.

Meanwhile having a low volume pf emotions still puts you seriously at risk when those muscles are atrophied.

Avoidance isnt gonna make you stronger in the physical realm, and the same is true for the emotional realm. Just, make sure that you have a balanced regiment and ask for someone to spot you if you feel in over your head :shrug:

that's one perspective

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
that's one perspective

Lol, is that what you tell your personal trainer at the gym?;)

This is just the way it works with anything you attempt to tackle and master in life, ime. Emotions are no different, from what ive seen.

:pumpyouup:

Scapegoated 4 fun

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

This is just the way it works with anything you attempt to tackle and master in life, ime. Emotions are no different.

Yes but there's also the perspective that having less emotions could theoretically make them easier to manage/control

tchudak

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't intend for it to be taken that literally. What I mean is that, thinkers are generally more concerned with presenting an emotionless/less emotional face to the world, whereas feelers are more concerned with presenting an emotional face to the world

I don't see a problem with that, it's just the nature of the person. Some are inclined to show emotions, others are not.

As for myself, I would feel very uncomfortable and out of place trying to display strong emotions in front of others. Matter of fact, I don't think I have emotions strong enough to make me do something like that, but even if I did, my this-doesn't-make-sense filter would not allow it to happen.

Scapegoated 4 fun

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I don't see a problem with that, it's just the nature of the person. Some are inclined to show emotions, others are not.

As for myself, I would feel very uncomfortable and out of place trying to display strong emotions in front of others. Matter of fact, I don't think I have emotions strong enough to make me do something like that, but even if I did, my this-doesn't-make-sense filter would not allow it to happen.

so you agree then?

tchudak

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

This is just the way it works with anything you attempt to tackle and master in life, ime. Emotions are no different, from what ive seen.

:pumpyouup:

Well, you can be sedentary and still live a quite healthy life. On the other hand, a gym rat obsessed with training will probably develop some sort of problem, being it mental or physical.

tchudak

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
so you agree then?

If you think it's the nature of the feeler to display more emotions, and the nature of the thinker to be more modest in displaying emotions, being it a process that occurs without effort, just how the person works and not an imposed conduct of any sort, then yes, I do agree.

Scapegoated 4 fun

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
If you think it's the nature of the feeler to display more emotions, and the nature of the thinker to be more modest in displaying emotions, being it a process that occurs without effort, just how the person works and not an imposed conduct of any sort, then yes, I do agree.

Yeah, that's what I mean

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes but there's also the perspective that having less emotions could theoretically make them easier to manage/control

Sure, just like a sedentary life style makes it unnecessary to be able to climb a rock wall.

But then you also know that when you suddenly have to fight or run for your life, you re likely to be in deep shit. And life tends to be still a lot more filled with intense emotional moments than adrenaline surging life threatening events.

That said, we all have our preferred way of dealing with problems.

You have a point that in the learning process, feelers can accidentally get int a lot of trouble. And most thinkers have that detached thing that helps them avoid thzt mess - until they get bombed by something so big they cannot avoid it.

Now, do this ti a feeler who isnt ready for that kind of emotional impact and its a mess as well. The difference is that if they keep at it, theyll actually be able to handle those things better in the long run( provided their growth isnt inhibited due to some other circumstances).

A thinker who relies on his avoidance strategy otoh, will never grow. And therefore, in the long run, miss the experience and mastery when shit hits the fan they cannot avoid.

When that system fails... it tends to be like multiple organ failure from what ive seen. And its often crippling.

So, its a risk you tale fir the convenience of the 'short cut' you use and works a lot of the time. Unfortunately, thinkers who have not invested kn this area tend to also leak 'toxicity'as they re often unaware that their system of denying emotiobs tends to cause that stuff to seepnout in ways they dont recognize, and often affects others negatively.

So sure, if it works, awesome. The reality however is often a maintenance nightmare that smells to high heaven unless they actually have the awareness to clean out the filters once a while.

Both approaches can work and both can be sheer disasters for both the person and others, dependibg on thee execution.

Ps: forgive the spelling mess, iphone :doh: