• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

F Doesn't = Emotion

HisKittyKat

MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
4w5
I peeked at your profile and it says you're an "XNFP" which would make sense to me because Jung did state the Fi types are more private about this function, unless inferior Te kicks in. I also recall him writing that Fi users who seek to express, usually find ways to express good feeling, indirectly, in an objective function.
When you say strong feelings -- are you talking about your convictions of good/bad, right/wrong or emotional intensity?
As far as empathy goes -- I can be whoever someone needs me to be during a time of grief as long as the cause of grief is factually/logically fair ... Often times, I'll have to repress logic when something doesn't add up during the process due to common courtesy..(and avoiding an argument with an emotionally charged person).. However, this becomes draining/tiring for to do ..and I've a tendency towards blunt/tactlessness without any intent to offend. (Although I somehow, always do.) I like offering solutions , immediately. (If any are warranted.)

I didn't re-read my post however I don't remember saying strong feelings, and if I did I misspoke. What I should have said is vulnerable/raw feelings ( real feelings) not just what I emote on a shallow level ( day to day chit chat ). My feelings are raw and vulnerable, my emotions are shallow and sometimes empty.

For example if someone was fishing for a compliment and I intuitively knew it would make them feel more confident, I could offer that compliment in an emotional way without having any feeling towards whether I was authentic about it or not. As an NFP being authentic means everything to me, I want to be real and when I speak I want to mean what I say. However there are times when I feel forced or pressured into being emotional when I don't actually feel it, it doesn't feel good, I hate it actually.

Fe needs to talk about their feelings in order to understand them. Fi needs to reflect on their feelings in order to understand them. And because Fi is constantly reflecting on how we are feeling internally, it can feel really painful and raw although it isn't expressed for those around us to know.