• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Feelers ability to use emotions to get things immoral?

Scapegoated 4 fun

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Do you think feelers' tendency to use their emotions as a device to manipulate others is morally questionable? Why or why not? Explain your reasoning.

Who said feelers have a tendency to use their emotions to manipulate anyone? You have any polls, graphs, charts, etc to back that up or is this coming to us courtesy of imagination land?

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As opposed to the emotional manipulation by thinkers? Is it okay when thinkers do it?

Scapegoated 4 fun

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Who said feelers have a tendency to use their emotions to manipulate anyone? You have any polls, graphs, charts, etc to back that up or is this coming to us courtesy of imagination land?

No it's just something I and other people on various other online forums have noticed. It's merely an anecdotal observation. With that in mind, they seem to have this ability to turn on/off their emotions at will which thinkers lack, perhaps because they (feelers) are more adept at using their feeling functions, that they are able to use them in more dynamic ways? Anyways, it definitely varies from type to type. Of all feeling types, INFPs and INFJs have probably demonstrated these qualities the least, although they still do have the ability to do so. ESFJs and ESFPs have been the most likely to exhibit this type of behavior from my experience.

But calling it a tendency makes it sound like it happens with some frequency. I'm not saying I'm innocent of ever having done this but I most definitely don't make a habit of it. If anything having a fairly good grasp on emotions and just as importantly reading them in others means I feel a definite sense of responsibility to not screw with someone on that level.

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No it's just something I and other people on various other online forums have noticed. It's merely an anecdotal observation. With that in mind, they seem to have this ability to turn on/off their emotions at will which thinkers lack, perhaps because they (feelers) are more adept at using their feeling functions, that they are able to use them in more dynamic ways? Anyways, it definitely varies from type to type. Of all feeling types, INFPs and INFJs have probably demonstrated these qualities the least, although they still do have the ability to do so. ESFJs and ESFPs have been the most likely to exhibit this type of behavior from my experience.

Your experiences are anecdotal and hence, unique to you. I have observed that thinkers have this ability as well. Anyone with emotions is capable of using emotions to be manipulative. This includes thinking types as well. I grew up with two manipulative parents, an ISTJ and an INTP. I do not come to the conclusion all ISTJ or INTP are manipulative.

And perhaps I am just being paranoid but I often wonder if my pet dogs are emotionally manipulating me as well.

From general observation, it would seem feelers are good at resisting emotional manipulation, however I don't know if that's the case.

Scapegoated 4 fun

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
But calling it a tendency makes it sound like it happens with some frequency. I'm not saying I'm innocent of ever having done this but I most definitely don't make a habit of it. If anything having a fairly good grasp on emotions and just as importantly reading them in others means I feel a definite sense of responsibility to not screw with someone on that level.

Well from my perspective (INTJ) it is quite frequent, but perhaps my standards are a bit high; I have virtually no tolerance for this sort of behavior in myself or others. Especially myself though, we INTJs can be hard on ourselves like that.

I'm in a really good position to emotionally manipulate because I'm a guy that understands emotions, not something a lot of men will admit to. It could be a secret weapon of mine. We're taught to suppress everything except anger. Anger is considered masculine by many men so it isn't systematically quashed like say sadness or love. I still am very much trained to control those things. When you're young you tend to mimic those around you to assimilate. As a young boy I was ridiculously emotional but through time I learned to bury that intensity. Hell, sometimes I worry I've buried my emotions too deep.

However my ability to babble is quite intact. You just have to watch generalizations like feelers are manipulative and thinkers are cold. As [MENTION=33651]Red Ribbon[/MENTION] said thinkers feel and feelers think. I'm a fairly honest person (many times to my detriment) and the idea of emotional manipulation gets me riled.

Scapegoated 4 fun

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
"We're taught to suppress everything except anger. Anger is considered masculine by many men so it isn't systematically quashed like say sadness or love."

That hasn't been my experience. When I was a child I was shamed and ridiculed for the expression of anger as well as for the expressions of sadness and love. But I was certainly taught to keep my anger in check more than I was taught to keep my sadness or love in check.

Scapegoated 4 fun

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
"As [MENTION=33651]Red Ribbon[/MENTION] said thinkers feel and feelers think."

See the problem with this is you're assuming that I'm pathologically naive and have the life experience of an unborn fetus. Anyone with half a brain would clearly be able understand that thinkers feel and feelers think. It's common sense for lack of a better term. The only neurotypical people I know that would claim to not understand that are either manipulative or, well, that's it, just manipulative.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
That's emotional blackmail already.

Well it depends on the victim if the victim will allow himself to be victimized. Or if he'll entertain the emotional bullshit of the emotional needy person.

But i don't think, "immoral" is the right term. It's just not good to emotional blackmail someone.

See the problem with this is you're assuming that I'm pathologically naive and have the life experience of an unborn fetus. Anyone with half a brain would clearly be able understand that thinkers feel and feelers think. It's common sense for lack of a better term. The only neurotypical people I know that would claim to not understand that are either manipulative or, well, that's it, just manipulative.

Touchy for a thinker aren't you? Wasn't trying to insult your intelligence but apparently I successfully did despite the fact. And what's you agenda against ESFJs? Girlfriend burn you or something?

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
I think feelers process feelings quicker, it's our strong point so we will feel deeply and process the emotions differently, I find thinkers take much longer to assess their feelings and then it seems as though we have "shut off" or "moved on quickly" but we were processing how we feel the whole time.
It's not really manipulation but I think because we pluck at strings thinkers don't normally use it doesn't feel familiar to them, so they notice that they are feeling emoting maybe at a higher level.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Guys scapegoat doesn't really intend to generalize that Feelers are blackmailers.

He just said that Feelers are capable of using other emotions for blackmailing.

Capable.

Which is actually true.

I'm half feeler too. I can do that but I'm not doing it because it's a waste of my time.

So he's asking if someone who do that "emotional blackmailing" thing is immoral for you guys?

Guys scapegoat doesn't really intend to generalize that Feelers are blackmailers.

He just said that Feelers are capable of using other emotions for blackmailing.

Capable.

Which is actually true.

I'm half feeler too. I can do that but I'm not doing it because it's a waste of my time.

So he's asking if someone who do that "emotional blackmailing" thing is immoral for you guys?

Actually he's quite biased, particularly against ESFJ's as they are clearly targeted in his two other threads. He's especially perplexed by they're apparent contradictory nature. I believe there must be some underlying feelings about that type to have such an aggressive dislike for them.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Actually he's quite biased, particularly against ESFJ's as they are clearly targeted in his two other threads. He's especially perplexed by they're apparent contradictory nature. I believe there must be some underlying feelings about that type to have such an aggressive dislike for them.
I see. This guy's might just have been hurted by one esfj that's why he just reacted badly about her and generalize all esfjs or all feeler types as the same.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
He's just probably confused about them that's why he's asking these stuffs. Let's just help him analyze that labelling and generalizing an entire community of one mbti as the same based on his own experience is incorrect.

And, as for the OP, the esfj you encountered here is unhealthy. XD

You can also check the cognitive functions tertiary loops and stuffs to further analyze what's causing this esfj her certain behavior.

Check esfj shadow functions, tertiary loops and stuffs

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have seen Ts try this as well. Its not specific to F. I have had someone use anger, excitement, etc. As a way to try and get me to mirror. He stopped when he realized it didnt work at all and he just felt stupid for it.

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

That's not the point that Population 1 was trying to make. Emotional manipulation is not exclusive to feelers. Just the other day my ISTJ mother started giving me the silent treatment because she wanted me to feel the pain of me not listening to her, which is manipulation. In my rage, unable to counter this, I reacted by manipulation of my own, I decided to see if my mother would talk to me if I started starving myself and I went on a hunger strike for two days.

Here's an example of emotional manipulation from a thinker.

Scapegoated 4 fun

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
That's not the point that Population 1 was trying to make. Emotional manipulation is not exclusive to feelers. Just the other day my ISTJ mother started giving me the silent treatment because she wanted me to feel the pain of me not listening to her, which is manipulation. In my rage, unable to counter this, I reacted by manipulation of my own, I decided to see if my mother would talk to me if I started starving myself and I went on a hunger strike for two days.

Here's an example of emotional manipulation from a thinker.

Sure but can you give an example of a time an INTJ might use emotional manipulation?