• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Aptitude breakdowns by type (SAT, IQ, ACT)

Usehername

On a mission
I really think that niffer's IQ proves that you cannot correlate IQ to type preference, at least not completely. Even it if it's generally true for a particular group of people, that doesn't prove it's true for everyone. Although I do imagine that INTJ's and INTP's would have the highest IQ's, based on the way the test is usually laid out.

I wouldn't talk if I were you...

well, IQ tests basically test your ability to "think outside the box", right? not spit out learned answers?

well, isn't this abstract thinking?
and isn't this "N" "T"?

so IQ tests basically test one's NT-ness! And thus NTs should dominate--it's their home turf! However, IQs don't test plenty of other styles of intelligence.

But I do think NTs should have the highest scoring IQs--not because they're smarter, but b/c that's what the tests test! One's NT-ness!

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
well, IQ tests basically test your ability to "think outside the box", right? not spit out learned answers?

Modern ones are split between gF and gC, which you may see referenced. gF measures what you are talking about, roughly, while gC is more like learnt general information. Others also test associated things (recall and such).

well, isn't this abstract thinking?
and isn't this "N" "T"?

Funny enough, not so much. It's almost entirely N... the T/F has been found in different forms of tests, but nothing horribly significant. If memory serves, the E/I divide is actually stronger.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Modern ones are split between gF and gC, which you may see referenced. gF measures what you are talking about, roughly, while gC is more like learnt general information. Others also test associated things (recall and such).

Funny enough, not so much. It's almost entirely N... the T/F has been found in different forms of tests, but nothing horribly significant. If memory serves, the E/I divide is actually stronger.

I don't know about IQ tests, but when I saw the Keirsey breakdown of SAT scores I was surprised to find that there was little to no difference among E/I, T/F, or J/P. I had hypothesised to myself that there would be some type of preference among the letters I, N, T, and J, but in reality there was only a significant difference between S and N. In the S/N case there was roughly a difference of 100 points in mean SAT scores.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2

Here are some highlights from an article I have about personality and intelligence. I have several journal articles like this and I'm going through them but this is the first one I've finished.

Personality and Intelligence: Gender, the Big Five, Self-Estimated and Psychometric Intelligence. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SELECTION AND ASSESSMENT. V13 NO.1 MARCH 2005. Adrian Furnham, Joanna Moutafi,Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic

- In study 1 a total of 100 participants completed the NEOPI-R,the Wonderlic Personnel Test and the Baddeley Reasoning Test, and estimated their own intelligence on a normal distribution curve. Multiple regression showed that psychometric intelligence was predicted by Conscientiousness and SEI, while SEI was predicted by gender, Neuroticism (notably anxiety) and Agreeableness (notably modesty).

- Most theories of intelligence, notably Cattell's (1971), are based on hierarchical models, which originated from Spearman (1927), who proposed that intelligence consists of a general (g) factor and a set of specific (s) factors. Based on Spearman, Cattell (1943) distinguished between fluid (gf) and crystallized (gc) intelligence. gf is dependent on the efficient functioning of the central nervous system, while gc is dependent on experience and education within a culture...Mayer, Caruso, Zigler, and Dreyden (1989) observed, personality traits are, at best, modestly related to intellect and intellectual achievement.

- Zeidner (1995) proposed that introverts have an advantage in tasks related to superior associative learning ability (verbal tasks), whereas extraverts have an advantage in tasks related to ready acquisition of automatic motor sequences (performance tasks).

- The personality factor which is considered to correlate most strongly with psychometric intelligence is openness to experience (Zeidner & Matthews, 2000). However, researchers have noticed that openness to experience specifically correlates with gc (Brand, 1994). Goff and Ackerman (1992) reported a correlation of r=.40 between openness to experience and gc...When compared with personality measures, typical intellectual engagement showed a significant correlation with openness to experience (r=.65), as well as with Conscientiousness (r=.27) (Ackerman & Goff, 1994).

- Although therewere significant relationships between psychometric personality and self-estimated intelligence, there were no significant relationships between psychometric personality and psychometric intelligence.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
- The personality factor which is considered to correlate most strongly with psychometric intelligence is openness to experience (Zeidner & Matthews, 2000). However, researchers have noticed that openness to experience specifically correlates with gc (Brand, 1994). Goff and Ackerman (1992) reported a correlation of r=.40 between openness to experience and gc...When compared with personality measures, typical intellectual engagement showed a significant correlation with openness to experience (r=.65), as well as with Conscientiousness (r=.27) (Ackerman & Goff, 1994).

I believe that this isn't as well supported anymore (gC vs gF), or at least, it doesn't appear as a significant gap between gC and gF, regardless of openness... but I have no idea where I read that as I was scanning through all of these. That might of been related to MBTI and IQ testing correlations, however.

I don't know about IQ tests, but when I saw the Keirsey breakdown of SAT scores I was surprised to find that there was little to no difference among E/I, T/F, or J/P. I had hypothesised to myself that there would be some type of preference among the letters I, N, T, and J, but in reality there was only a significant difference between S and N. In the S/N case there was roughly a difference of 100 points in mean SAT scores.

It depends exactly what you measure. For example, most of the research is done with FFM, but that correlates very differently than MBTI. In terms of direct IQ and MBTI, there are other factors, but only a couple of studies have been done and they don't match up perfectly. And the IQ tests differ as well, further confusing the situation. But yah, even if there is an influence from the other 3 letters, S/N is by far the most dominant

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm amazed by the number claiming to have or know people with IQs in the range of Einstein and Bohr.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm amazed by the number claiming to have or know people with IQs in the range of Einstein and Bohr.

How many people are involved in this thread plus the outside references? Now divide that by the total populations of Europe, North America, and Australia (the three continents most of the people on this board are living in). What do you get?

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
How many people are involved in this thread plus the outside references? Now divide that by the total populations of Europe, North America, and Australia (the three continents most of the people on this board are living in). What do you get?

Another day older and deeper in debt.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Well, I was joking around a bit, but the proper response is:

1.) What you suggest is impossible for me. I'd need a research grant, etc., to even begin to consider such an undertaking.

2.) From a strictly hypothetical level, there is one flaw in the logic: it assumes that we, knowing all of these geniuses, could divide our genius-base by the overall population and get a number that is realistic. This is not the case. We are only a single demographic; by virtue of being the kind of people with Internet access who use a message board such as this, we are a demographic of above-average intelligence and, hence, one that would be familiar with more geniuses, but we can hardly claim to have bogarted a number of geniuses so disproportionate that when divided by the general population it would still work out to a realistic stat.

Which is to say: even taking into consideration our demographic, I consider the number of people claiming to be or know geniuses unrealistically high.

To Niffer: you're a lovely girl, but 156? That would make you a bona fide genius only few IQ points short of Einstein, who was in the lower 160s. I'm not entirely discounting the possibility that what you say is true, but I must confess that I'm skeptical. For one thing, if you'd scored that high people would have made such a hooplah that your "oh, this silly little thing? I didn't even know it was worth anything t'all!" attitude strikes me as... unfitting.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

Bohr can't be that smart. I've tried his recipe for raisin pudding. It's really not that good. :)

To Niffer: you're a lovely girl, but 156? That would make you a bona fide genius only few IQ points short of Einstein, who was in the lower 160s. I'm not entirely discounting the possibility that what you say is true, but I must confess that I'm skeptical. For one thing, if you'd scored that high people would have made such a hooplah that your "oh, this silly little thing? I didn't even know it was worth anything t'all!" attitude strikes me as... unfitting.

I'm no expert on IQ tests, but I do know that different tests use different numbers for their standard deviation. It could be that Einstein for example is given a score based on a test with a low standard deviation, while a lot of people are reporting IQ's based on a test with a higher standard deviation.

No offense meant to niffer though. ENFP's usually have their intelligence underestimated. They have that "Legally Blond" effect where they can seem silly and flighty and then ace the bar exam or something else equally impressive.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm no expert on IQ tests, but I do know that different tests use different numbers for their standard deviation. It could be that Einstein for example is given a score based on a test with a low standard deviation, while a lot of people are reporting IQ's based on a test with a higher standard deviation.

Even so, that is extremely high. However, at her age, I ranked somewhere above 160 on a particular sub-test that had a SD of 15 (pattern searching). Unfortunately three problems exist;

1) Not all tests are validated, meaning they are not standardized at all

2) Many are age or time factored, which isn't a legitimate way of testing

3) Many aren't g loaded, meaning they have no validation

I'm still looking for a cheap way to take a formal IQ test because I really want to see how it works. Alas, it's too expensive. The ones online just don't cut it, even though there are a couple of amateur student ones that were standardized. I find those to be quite interesting but they don't have the full battery to average out, meaning they can peak and trough too easily.

No offense meant to niffer though. ENFP's usually have their intelligence underestimated. They have that "Legally Blond" effect where they can seem silly and flighty and then ace the bar exam or something else equally impressive.

Well, she certainly shouldn't feel bad if her IQ isn't 150 and up :D Anything around 120 puts you at the high end, meaning masters-PHD. And even in those cases, the spread of IQs is pretty gigantic. Really, anything above 110 is "impressive", and anything above 120 puts you at quite a head start above 90% of the population.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

That's called being a sociable university student.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
You must be attending one hell of a university.

Those are the two smartest people I know, actually. The ESFP is definitely smarter than most professors there (to my assessment).

In any case being a sociable university student means that I know students from 5 different universities around here.

INFPAmelie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
MB-IQ Correlation Studies

Anyone know if a distribution of IQ levels according to types exists? Ie, X% of people with IQ X are X type? Or coming from the other direction, a distribution of IQs for each type? Maybe that's too specific for there to be an actual study on it though.

I am very anxious to see if there have been any such studies!! :huh:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Just to clarify - the ranks do indicate performance, right? Meaning that INTPs ranked 2nd in IQ scores in high school, and that they performed the best at Ball State University (in particular, since that's a research university*).

If so, does anyone else find it very... INTP... to be both liberal arts and engineering dominants?
I have a friend who is an INTP (not a tested one but I'm pretty sure). At uni he did a conjoint degree - his 2 majors were Physics and Film, Television and Media Studies. :D And he totally cleaned up in both BTW.

I would estimate his IQ to be around 150. He is by far the smartest person I know. He loses me with his talk and my IQ is in the 133-138 range. And its not just because he can retain and reel off screeds of information about all sorts of things (which he can easily), he is an amazing free thinker. I don't know why he isn't a rocket scientist for NASA or something.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Not IQ level, but here are stats on MBTI type vs. Education Level and Household Income:

Education Level (1 did not graduate, to 6 PhD or equivalent)
ENTJ - 4.12
INTJ - 3.93
ESTJ - 3.83
ISTJ - 3.78
ESTP - 3.73
INFJ - 3.72
ENFP - 3.69
INTP - 3.69
INFP - 3.67
ESFP - 3.63
ENFJ - 3.60
ESFJ - 3.62
ISTP - 3.59
ISFJ - 3.58
ENTP - 3.54
ISFP - 3.52

Household Income
ENTJ - $84,434
ESTJ - $76,238
ESFJ - $74,882
INTJ - $72,043
ENFJ - $71,060
ISTJ - $71,020
ESTP - $69,323
ISTP - $67,349
ENFP - $66,210
INTP - $64,872
INFJ - $64,372
ISFP - $64,166
ISFJ - $63,870
ESFP - $63,281
ENTP - $62,960
INFP - $61,565

Link: Type Statistics

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
If you really think that such an individual thing like IQ is influenced by type I wonder how close minded you are.