• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Am I an INFP or INTP?

miss-mirage

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've read up on cognitive functions and while I understand the general premises of Fi and Ti, I still can't tell which one I use. I can no longer take function tests without being biased because I constantly think "this question is measuring for this function" and the works. The types that I score most frequently (aside from INFP and INTP) are ISTP, ENTP, and INTJ. I suppose I could just list a bunch of traits like every other INFP/INTP confusion post I've read thus far, but I don't think that would be of much use at this point.

Essentially, the root of my confusion is (and this will get quite personal, spare me) the fluctuating state of my mental health. From about the ages of 12 to 16, I was severely depressed to the point where it impaired my ability to function. I would constantly take online screening tests and research various mental illnesses to try and figure out what was "wrong" with me so I could fix it, and ended up self-diagnosing myself with just about everything under the sun (I ultimately scrapped these assumptions, clearly). Since the first time I took an MBTI test was when I was 14/15, I think that it may have skewed my results, but I didn't start looking into MBTI very thoroughly until a few months ago. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if neither of these personality types are "me", but the Ne/Si axis seems fairly accurate. The thing is, the way I think when depressed is very, very far from how I think in a normal state--I blame everyone else for my problems, and I get caught in this sort of circular thinking pattern where I list all the reasons why something is pointless/why it will turn out badly in order to convince myself to give up. I am in no way inferring that depression is exclusive to a type, but many of the facets of an INFP would have applied to me at those points, i.e. hypersensitivity to criticism and emotionality. But over the past year, I've been exponentially better than before and I feel less like the INFP characteristics describe me, which is why I'm starting to doubt that it is actually my type.

All this being said, I just want to know what other people think. Let me know if you need any more information.