• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] which type would have the most abstract thoughts?

chado

MBTI Type
infp
which type would be most abstract internaly?,my take is ni+fi? so an intj or isfp?

CoffeeEnthusiast

I suppose INTJ's and their utterly complex and well-developed theories about events and things that may not even happen win the big prize here. Also there is this tendency to have a broad view of the world and its features instead of being detail-focused, as far as I'm concerned. I could be wrong though. But! If I'm not wrong, then INTJ's would clearly fit in the definitions of abstract thought:

Abstract thought: Thinking in terms of concepts and general principles (for example, perceiving a table and a chair as furniture), as contrasted with concrete thinking.

Abstract thinking is the ability to think about objects, principles, and ideas that are not physically present.

Abstract thinking is a high-level thought process. Someone who is thinking abstractly is considering a concept in a broad, general and non-specific way.

Generally speaking planning for the future includes a certain degree of abstract thought, because details are unpredictable, so one has to focus on the big parts of their objectives, and ISFP's particularly struggle with thinking about their future, since they prefer to refine their present, which is something under their control, rather than upcoming events.

Apologizes if I'm wrong, and please correct me if I am (still learning the basics!), but I believe INTJ's are the answer here, without major doubts.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
which type would be most abstract internaly?,my take is ni+fi? so an intj or isfp?

Hmm, abstract is rather "abstract" itself isn't it? It's like asking which type is more creative? Well in what sense?Though, since you used Ni/Fi as your example...I know you mentioned INTJs or ISFPs, but when I think of Fi and abstract, I'm thinking along the lines of a personal idealism and where you sit in the larger context, and what it all means. My Fi is led by Ne, and in this sense, I feel as though I have a rather abstract internal world as well. Mmm... Let me clarify, I actually don't feel my world is all that abstract at all, meaning that it all makes perfect sense to me, and it isn't until someone wants to enter that internal world with me and asks me to describe it, that I realize it may not make much sense to others. I tend to believe and wish for things that some people just would not place much value in.

So, the above is a level of abstract thought relating to Fi, in my perspective, the abstract thought that tends to swirl around my head on a more intellectual or creative level is very Ne heavy-handed. Essentially, when I think of things, they don't often have definitions applied to them, and what that allows, is a level of free flow thought that encourages new imagination and perspective. I'd say that's fairly abstract? Though, as I mentioned, asking which types have the most abstract thoughts, is akin to asking which types have the most creative thought? What context are we working in here, and through what lens are we examining this question?

GavinElster

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think internal and abstract are not quite the same thing; I think of abstraction as involving going away from the senses, but also from particularities of the individual mind. For example, numbers could be seen as existing "out there" independent of minds.

So I'd say Ni and Fi lead to the most "internal" but some form of intuition plus thinking is probably best called abstract. Internals are more inaccessible to the outside -- a feeling is harder to communicate to someone else than is a statement about a number, but in the sense of being impossible to "interact with," the numbers are more abstract.

I'd just say these are two different sides of intuitive types.

Taibreah

If you can visualize a scene/objects playing out in your mind (like when you're listening to music), but they are taken from things that exist in real life, and it's your perception of what it looks like...is that Ni and not Ne? And is that mode of visualizing considered abstract?

As an ISFP, I think about the future all the time and am always anticipating events, thinking about the possibilities of what could happen. I am also always sketching and writing out ideas for later use, particularly for paintings. I do it from analyzing the external world and thinking about the different patterns I see, understanding them and incorporating these findings together to form something new or trying to think of something from scratch that I subconsciously have been influenced by from my own environment. I use a lot of my Ni to think abstractly. However, isn't anyone who is apparently intuitive supposed to be the most "abstract" since they use their intuition in a more dominant way in comparison to sensors, or at least in the MBTI sense? It's just different forms of abstractions - Ni vs. Ne. I personally believe I think abstractly, it's just harder for me to describe in words. It all makes sense in my head, but it wouldn't necessarily be obvious to others, at least from what I can recall about the input I get on my own artwork from other people.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Abstract thought... N's are the most abstract, so are I's, depending on your interpretation of the term abstract. And thought would of course possibly be interpreted as Thinking.

So INTJ. Otherwise, the question wasn't specific enough for me to make proper sense of.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thought doesn't mean Thinking.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that Ni-Ti and Ni-Fi (and vice versa Ti-Ni, Fi-Ni) could be equally abstract, but it is an interesting question. Ni-Fi would be explore abstraction in a more personalized, unique manner that would be more difficult to communicate in a way that accurately represents it to others. Ni-Ti would likely be abstract in a slightly more definable way because it would reference more universal logical principles. Ne also plays a role in abstraction, so one could make the argument that Fi-Ne and Ti-Ne (and vice versa) could also produce abstractions.

I do consider myself pretty abstract on the inside, but it does tend to be an extension of the outside world. I see what is concrete and abstractions form from it. I have trouble creating completely independent imaginary landscapes. I wouldn't be able to write complex fantasy stories like both my brother and sister like to do, but I do have these flashes of abstractions and spent countless hours trying to comprehend the nature of the universe, other dimensions, etc. Also when I see strangers and am in a certain state of mind, I will see their expression, the patterns of their movements and suddenly the entire ranges of emotional expressions flash through my mind where I can see them expressing anger, joy, sadness, etc. I get strong impressions whether the person explodes with anger or internalizes it, etc. I have no idea if these impressions are accurate because it happens in the moment on viewing random people, but it is an abstraction of what I'm see concretely, it's like an extrapolation of suggested core patterns. I think it might be a Ni-Fi loop inside my head, but I'm not entirely certain which functions it involves. I do know that my attention wanes when viewing completely imaginary systems and it is easier for me to extend the concrete fragmentary impressions into wholistic, complete abstract patterns. Whatever that is, it is how my brain works.

Mole

Permabanned

Thinking is independent of nationality, it is independent of gender, it is independent of belief, it is independent of culture, and is independent of personality.

If this were not so, we would have Mongolian physics, and Fijian physics, and Australian physics, but we don't, we just have physics.

And if it were not so, we would have Mongolian human right, Fijian human rights, and Australian human rights, but we don't, we just have human rights.

And if this were not so, we would have male physics and female physics, but we don't, we just have physics.

Abstract thinking covers a multitude of particulars and is unbelievably powerful. However some of us have a taste for abstract thinking, we find it exquisitely pleasurable, and those who don't find it pleasurable find their consolation in identity politics and the new electric tribalism.

So mbti is for those unable to enjoy abstract thinking as it divides us into 16 types or tribes. And this ready made tribalism is for those who have failed to become literate individuals and who can't think abstractly for themselves.

PurpleDawn

Abstract internally would probably be a mix of Ni and Fi, Ne with Fi could be too tho. I'd say INTJ, ISFP, and all NFs, but INTJ would probably be the most overall.
"The most abstract thoughts" would likely be ENxP tho.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why INTJ instead of INFJ? I'd think an INTJ's Te would make their logic more concrete and empirical, while an INFJ's Fe would make their logic more abstract and less based on concrete data.