• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How is it like to be P ?

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why does it have to be done?
Do I have an exam tomorrow for which I've not studied at all the entire year?
In which case I don't set the alarm for 2am. I stay up all night making up acronyms and mnemonics.
Actually I never set the alarm for then because I'm almost always still awake by then anyway. I'd have to set the alarm to be out of the house before 9am though. In fact, even before 10... I set my alarm this morning because I had to take my kids to a piano lesson at 11.

The only thing that could induce me to think that 'has to be done' would be something like an exam the next morning. But even then no, I don't think I would. I'd figure, meh, I'll do what I can and if I fail, retake it. Or consider other options.

Finally, a kindred spirit!!! :banana:

Thinking specifically, I can't figure out what would actually induce me to set the alarm for 2am (other than the aforementioned plane flight)... really if something was THAT important I doubt I'd be able to sleep anyway, so I just wouldn't go to bed.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
What is it like to P, xD I really do not know

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
entropie, some people will never experience what it is like to have p-ness, and i feel sorry for these people

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ya rly! Why on earth would I be up swatting at 2am or all night or whatever in panic about the possibility of failing an exam? FFS, I've already considered the worst case scenario ages ago (me failing the exam) and I've long been aware that there are many other options open to me should this occur, all equally acceptable. In fact, I already barely even know why I'm taking the damned exam. So like, I'm chillin' with mah homiez, drinking beer and watching a movie :D

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ya rly! Why on earth would I be up swatting at 2am or all night or whatever in panic about the possibility of failing an exam?

Now staying up til 2am cause I get caught up in some new/exciting project...that's more likely!

I don't see why I should choose to do something I really dislike, I mean if it's not actually necessary (and most things aren't), and I really don't like it... what's the point? :huh:
There has to be a very good reason for me to do something I don't want to do, doing things for the sake of doing things does not make sense to me.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah and also doing things for fear of what might happen if you don't do them, that doesn't make much sense to me either... I'd rather being doing things because I like doing them. Cos pretty much anything you can do, like you say, will have unknowable consequences, leading to unforeseeable opportunities... I could pass the exams and go to college and get an ace job... only to have my wife leave me for the mailman and become a prozac-propped executive with a Ferrari and a big fat midlife crisis lol

Contrarywise, I could fail the exam and through a chain of unintended events wind up scoring a job that pays all I need, working for a boss that's a joy to work for, through which I meet my perfect soul mate and live a life of simple contentment.

"Succeeding" is no guarantee of happiness, and taking the less prestigious route doesn't exclude the possibility of comfortable living. In short, life throws all kinds of curves at you, best to be able to ride those waves to home and dry, rather than stick your head down into the water and plough relentlessly forward, only to find you went past your paradise island several miles back... lol

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Yeah and also doing things for fear of what might happen if you don't do them, that doesn't make much sense to me either... I'd rather being doing things because I like doing them. Cos pretty much anything you can do, like you say, will have unknowable consequences, leading to unforeseeable opportunities...
One of the foundations of basically all xNTP's philosophies.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah and also doing things for fear of what might happen if you don't do them, that doesn't make much sense to me either... I'd rather being doing things because I like doing them. Cos pretty much anything you can do, like you say, will have unknowable consequences, leading to unforeseeable opportunities... I could pass the exams and go to college and get an ace job... only to have my wife leave me for the mailman and become a prozac-propped executive with a Ferrari and a big fat midlife crisis lol

Contrarywise, I could fail the exam and through a chain of unintended events wind up scoring a job that pays all I need, working for a boss that's a joy to work for, through which I meet my perfect soul mate and live a life of simple contentment.

"Succeeding" is no guarantee of happiness, and taking the less prestigious route doesn't exclude the possibility of comfortable living. In short, life throws all kinds of curves at you, best to be able to ride those waves to home and dry, rather than stick your head down into the water and plough relentlessly forward, only to find you went past your paradise island several miles back... lol

Exactly. That's why when "bad" things happen, it doesn't really bother me that much, how do I know anything else would actually have been better? Also, things always seem to work out good for me in the end. I've often wondered if I actually lead a charmed life or it's more my attitude. When you focus on opportunities, each new situation, whether bad or good, brings more possibilities... and I don't know how, but everything always works out!

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I think the only times I enjoy being a P is when I can change things around..so on a more detailed looks..if I say to myself I'm going to do something, then change my mind and do something else, I don't feel any regret at all..if that makes sense?..

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Question for Ps.

Would you ever set you alarm clock to 2:00 AM and then get up at that time and learn for the rest of the night?
Just because that has to be done.

:rofl1:

o you INTJ's should become comedians.

these hilarious jokes aside, let's go back to the main topic. what's it like to be a P? well it's not that i don't plan or that i don't like plans. i like plans that i make which make me feel like i have some power over a confusing situation. essay plans etc. however, these plans are hardly perfect and often just not good enough for me to feel devoted to them. therefore, if a friend asks me to go out with him for example i can go 'meh, i'll start the essay tomorrow' and if i think of a better plan, i have no qualms ditching the previous plan for the new one.

i think there is also a lot of truth to what jackflack said. a lot of times, i do feel like i can accept the worse case scenario. let's make it clear though, that doesn't mean i am willing to accept the worse scenario as much as the best scenario. it doesn't work like that. however, in the grand scale of things, i wouldn't feel like the world is coming to an end even if i missed an assignment or whatever. i may feel bad about it for a while but i bounce back quickly.

i think a lot with being a P is really just learning to enjoy the moment. like what grayscale said, i find it very important to stop and smell the roses. i have met too many people (cough my mother cough) who let the littlest things ruin their day. does it really matter that the dishes aren't done yet? does it really matter that our discussion doesn't necessarily have a point? isn't living the moment point enough? i think much like how one person can pursuit being more J to be more organized, one can aim to be more P to become more chillaxed. i like being a P, i think it makes me a happier person. i consciously try and not let things get me. i think you can usually tell when someone's a P too.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
To me it happens that I get only few days to learn something and I don't have the time to do it. So I do it, this way.

I believe that this sentence is answer you are looking for Substitute.
Yes I am talking about the exams here.

There is simply no other way that I can do it and do it right.
That is because sometimes I have only few days for the entire thing and over the day I must do other things. It is simply that I sometime don't have the time.

So this has become one of my standard strategys.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
OK, but what I said previously answers the question from my POV and explains why I don't relate to your reasoning :)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I just wanted to say that I do this because of exams.

Also I don't feel bad when things go wrong. What I do is trying to find a way to repair the situation or find alternative way.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
entropie, some people will never experience what it is like to have p-ness, and i feel sorry for these people

:smile:

I find my 'P'-ness constantly rubs people up the wrong way

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
where is this country full of Ps, i want to live there?

i'll swap you, i'm surrounded by bloody annoying, controlling, pedantic, dogmatic, narrow-minded, deadline-pushing, style-cramping, anal-retentive Js !!!!

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Question for Ps.

Would you ever set you alarm clock to 2:00 AM and then get up at that time and learn for the rest of the night?

I'm a J, and I wouldn't do this, ever.

I'd plan my study-sessions in such a way that I can sleep all night and use the day (which is the time I learn best) for studying.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I'm a J, and I wouldn't do this, ever.

I'd plan my study-sessions in such a way that I can sleep all night and use the day (which is the time I learn best) for studying.

But would you do it If you have no other options at all and you want to get it right?

That is the real point of my question from the start.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
But would you do it If you have no other options at all and you want to get it right?

That is the real point of my question from the start.

Ah, I wouldn't do it anyway, I'd probably just take the exam next time it was available.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Question for Ps.

yes i do this kind of shit all the time...tertiary Te Juggernaut mode FTW!!!!

I will often give up studying at 12am because Im tired....then set my alarm for 4 30am to finish studying for the test...