• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does too much Intuition exhausts you?

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Because it exhaust the fuck out of me. Anyone who's got the same experience?

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: I'm going to guess it's the Ni, because I don't really see this in ISFJs- information 'unzips' as it's coming in, and it can definitely be exhausting trying to figure out what part I'm actually seeing vs. what I'm adding that might not be there. Especially if there's an emotional charge from the information. It can be a thoroughly exhaustive process of first bouncing the situation off of people whose judgment I trust- I try to ask someone already familiar with the environment/people/details because they're most likely to yield the most helpful feedback, rather than bouncing it off of someone unfamiliar with any of it, or someone who tends to just instinctively to provide echo chamber-style support (if someone too easily says something like "what a jerk!" without even knowing that many details, I tend to not value their judgment to bounce things off of).

I've been on the receiving end of a couple INFJs 'unzipping' completely bizarre meanings 'between the lines' of my words, and they seem to be completely unaware that what they heard has nothing to do with me or what I actually said (and I mean, things I would never say). The prospect of actually doing that to someone myself is enough of an aversion to make me want to double-check, triple-check, stick it in the freezer for a month, then triple-check it again before saying something. And if I don't have someone whose judgment I can trust (and who is familiar with the situation) to double-check, triple-check, and then triple-check again, then I get really avoidant about it and steer clear of the person causing the emotional charge.

That's on the more extreme end. I think the more typical everyday annoying INFJ mistake is to 'unzip' something relatively insignificant- but probably which still feels invasive (and annoying) to the person to hear. Even that takes a lot of energy to manage. Because it's only possible to constantly distill the observable detail from whatever gets added to it, it's not possible to turn it off altogether.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Intuition that is based on interesting speculation or abstract ideas is fun for me, but the nit-picky business (which may be more of the judging functions) drives me crazy. I simply cannot participate once that gets over the top. There are certain debate styles that are completely revolting to me, so I can't do it.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In most cases I cannot burn out from my own intuition but I can figuratively be tired of it, if that makes any sense. Counselors I've had do not understand my great use of it lol.

Often in my life I usually use a lot of sensation activities too to balance this intensive thinking. Training my mind to calm down through meditation has helped me greatly.

I don't know a day in my life without using my intuition really.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
As a N dom person I never tire from using N. Asking a dom N if they tire from using their intuition is like asking a fish if they ever tire from swimming or a plant from photosynthesizing. As for other people using intution it never tires me and its like man its like a energy pill for me :D.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Definitely not. Using Ne is very exciting and relaxing for me. Ni doesn't exhaust me, but it does make me very very sad.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I guess so. I exhaust myself mentally by thinking a lot during the day, sometimes. It goes in a spiral and it's kind of depressing, so I try not to.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Once when my dog died, I felt him viewing the world through my eyes for about a week, and I had ongoing language fatigue - especially at the end of the day. It felt like such a detailed, complicated, and ineffective way of communicating.

Littleclaypot

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
YES,
sometimes I just want to relax and not read everyone's minds. :p

thetk

MBTI Type
xNTP
Hm... I'm not sure. If it does, I don't really notice, because I'm busy N-ing.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm actually not too sure what you mean by this question. Do you mean, if one gets tired of the thought process involved with either the intuition functions, specifically speaking?? I'm assuming so but not sure if you're asking for something broader. I ask because I'm really not all that sure how to answer this. It's not like I "feel" some intuition process happening, it's just I don't know, what I know as my normal day-to-day sense of being? :shrug:

I do tend to think a lot, and very much live in my head a fair percentage of my day, and even then, it's not some active thing I do, but it sort of switches on and off and plays out like some personal narration of my life. But even then, it's not as though it requires much energy on my part, it's really just me soaking in my atmosphere and letting my mind to freely pick and pull things from the environment to entertain me with at the moment.

When I DO get drained and exhausted though, it tends to be when I have to put all my attention and focus into something for far too long. Sadly, it may only take about an hour for me to feel my energy levels deplete from this. I really do have to keep jumping around different ideas and play things to keep me and my mind active. Not doing that induces physical but mostly mental exhaustion.

Ya, probably not the answer you were looking for, but that is the main thing that comes to mind when I think of stuff that drains me. Intuition? Nah

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As a N dom person I never tire from using N. Asking a dom N if they tire from using their intuition is like asking a fish if they ever tire from swimming or a plant from photosynthesizing. As for other people using intution it never tires me and its like man its like a energy pill for me :D.
My experience is similar. In fact, I get tired when I do not have the opportunity to exercise Ni freely and sufficiently (which has been too often as of late, but that's another story). When I can let it run free and lose myself in those ideas, it can be either calmly energising, or even exhilarating, depending on the nature of the ideas involved. It feels like what I was meant to be doing. Everything else is just going through the motions.

The sort of nitpicky thinking Labyrinthine describes, IME, is exactly that: thinking, or at least using a judgment function, especially Je. It is using Je without much involvement of Ni that I find tiring, especially anything that is protracted, requires attention to detail, and is not interesting. That stuff makes me want to tear my hair out.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I feel like people with lower N would find intuition more exhausting.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I feel like people with lower N would find intuition more exhausting.

I wonder if the same can be said with Intuitives feeling exhausted by S type situations?? I for one can feel overstimulated in some environments, where noise, excitement, mostly visual clutter and data, is all clamoring for my attention left and right, up and down. I can take it, and to a degree, actually feed off it, but it does wear me down fairly quickly. Though, I wouldn't doubt that could tire anyone out haha. Nevermind, I shall slink away into the darkness now. :peepwall:

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wonder if the same can be said with Intuitives feeling exhausted by S type situations?? I for one can feel overstimulated in some environments, where noise, excitement, mostly visual clutter and data, is all clamoring for my attention left and right, up and down. I can take it, and to a degree, actually feed off it, but it does wear me down fairly quickly. Though, I wouldn't doubt that could tire anyone out haha. Nevermind, I shall slink away into the darkness now. :peepwall:

well it's probably more like they do not want to constantly view life from their inferior function's point of view. Over stimulated from environment is more hsp or autistic.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
well it's probably more like they do not want to constantly view life from their inferior function's point of view. Over stimulated from environment is more hsp or autistic.

Agreed. I definitely see the value Si can play in my life, but staying there too long just sucks the joy of life out of me. And it actually takes quite a bit of external stimulation to feel overwhelmed so HSP is off my list, I was just grasping at straws for something "sensory".

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I prefer an excess of Ni over Ne. My natural tendency when I hear an idea is to immediately start figuring out how realistically feasible it is. Even if it's obviously absurd, it's fun to think about what it would mean to implement it. Ne makes this exhausting.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No it doesn't exhaust me. I spend so much of daily life extroverting and dealing with every day matters that I'm not sure there is enough time to get exhausted. Some of my most enjoyable time is driving because I can let my mind wander and be less pressured for responses in the moment. It can be tiring that people are very often looking for me to have the answers and the stress of constantly trying to come up with them on the spur of the moment can be draining.. I'm like why can't you figure out this, that or the other thing for yourself. My intuition does not work in a ideal way in this on demand mode though I can do it and have learned to think aloud without confusing everyone around me. It's taken a long time to develop that though.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I prefer an excess of Ni over Ne. My natural tendency when I hear an idea is to immediately start figuring out how realistically feasible it is. Even if it's obviously absurd, it's fun to think about what it would mean to implement it. Ne makes this exhausting.

Exactly how I feel. I am also known to take things very 'litteral' when someone brings even a silly idea up. Definitely not your average conversationalist. :laugh: