• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Nuns and MBTI

Mole

Permabanned
After Vatican II many nuns lost their faith and looked around to fill the religious gap. And they pounced on mbti. It seemed to have the status of science, it was intuitive, replete with confirmation bias, and it was social with the possibility of relationships.

But who can blame them? They were mourning the loss of their faith, they were suffering the pain of grief, and mbti seemed to assuage their pain.

And we have discovered mbti, just like the nuns, and for the same reason: it assuages our psychological pain.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whoa I totally know a Jesuit nun in her early 70s that is super into enneagram, but only knew a little about MBTI.

Also you have the best clickbait backup material on the internet probably.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I keep screaming for God, but he won't answer me.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
the nuns I knew weren't at all interested in personality theory... they mostly did nun-like things like helping poor people, running the school and going to church :shrug:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes Mole, yes.

Before MBTI:
maxresdefault.jpg

After MBTI:
maxresdefault.jpg

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
Buddha praught of sense, thought, feeling, and intuition two thousand four hundred years ago, this shit is nothing new.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Buddha praught of sense, thought, feeling, and intuition two thousand four hundred years ago, this shit is nothing new.

That's right, even Jung would have told you that the ideas he looks at are very similar to the ones of other people and cultures.

However that doesn't mean that Jungian typology was not still a very significant development - afterall, we have forums on the internet for it now.

So the ideas are there, and they're given a new form now - it's not too different from what happens over and over.

The earth is old, people are old, civilisation is quite new but still old. What's new is where we take those ideas today.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
After Vatican II many nuns lost their faith and looked around to fill the religious gap. And they pounced on mbti.

Do you have any source for this, or did you just make it up?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I'd say there's nothing new about that either. Weapons change. People don't.

I can assure you that a human's psychology is very different now from what it would have been 10,000 years ago. People do change, and as far as ideas are responsible for that, psychological ideas such as typology are themselves responsible for some changes made to the psyche. The newness is like creating something new from lego pieces - the same pieces are still there, but the formulation is different so that whatever was built is something that has not been built before. Of course, to take the analogy further, the pieces themselves would undergo shifts. So, now we can take ideas from one place, and apply them to ideas from somewhere else, perhaps in a way that has not yet been done. Likely, just as Jung took the ideas of the mediaeval Alchemists and interpreted it in a modern light, we will take older ideas and reinterpret them to build the future. Change occurs not just on the physical platform, but on the psychic platform as well.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can assure you that a human's psychology is very different now from what it would have been 10,000 years ago. People do change, and as far as ideas are responsible for that, psychological ideas such as typology are themselves responsible for some changes made to the psyche. The newness is like creating something new from lego pieces - the same pieces are still there, but the formulation is different so that whatever was built is something that has not been built before. Of course, to take the analogy further, the pieces themselves would undergo shifts. So, now we can take ideas from one place, and apply them to ideas from somewhere else, perhaps in a way that has not yet been done. Likely, just as Jung took the ideas of the mediaeval Alchemists and interpreted it in a modern light, we will take older ideas and reinterpret them to build the future. Change occurs not just on the physical platform, but on the psychic platform as well.

But the same dumb kid wants to step on what is built for fun. That kid? He has power. That's what I don't think changes. We are no stronger than our weakest link. Most may change or evolve but it doesn't matter. The ones who don't we are protecting ourselves from always.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pfft, coffee is the only thing that soothes my psychological pain. MBTI ... please.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
But the same dumb kid wants to step on what is built for fun. That kid? He has power. That's what I don't think changes. We are no stronger than our weakest link. Most may change or evolve but it doesn't matter. The ones who don't we are protecting ourselves from always.

And always we are protecting ourselves from the forces of nature. And just as we may have greater or less resources to protect ourselves from nature, we are at times more or less subject to the power of outside influences. The degree of freedom held in various facets of our lives is subject to change depending on circumstances. I will not say that things necessarily progress for the better, but there certainly remains the potential for our energy to be directed as we wish it. So I would not say that we are as weak as our weakest link, as certainly we become stronger as the strongest link gets stronger. Perhaps it is like multiplying numbers - if one numbers is zero, the whole thing will be zero, but as long as the smallest number is larger than this, then it will have a significant impact but can be offset by other numbers that are larger.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Which mbti type is most likely to be a nun?

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Which mbti type is most likely to be a nun?

Appendix D to the Second Edition of the MBTI Manual includes lists of occupations "empirically attractive ... to the sixteen types," based on the CAPT MBTI data bank. Specific occupations are listed in mixed case and composite occupational categories are shown in UPPERCASE. The rankings in each list are based on the percentage of the applicable type making up the total number of respondents in the listed occupation or category. So, for example, the fact that art/drama/music teacher is the #2 occupation on the NF list doesn't mean that it's the second most common occupation among the NFs in the CAPT database. It means instead that, among the art/drama/music teachers in the CAPT database, the percentage of NFs was higher than the percentage of NFs for all but one other occupation.

The No. 1 occupation on the NF list is "Clergy, all denominations." The No. 1 and No. 3 occupations on the INFJ list are "Priests, monks" and "Clergy, all denominations"; "Religion: Educator, all denominations" is No. 8; and "RELIGIOUS WORKERS, ALL DENOMINATIONS" is No. 12. By contrast, the INFPs' top 30 only has one religious entry ("Religion: Educator, all denominations"), at No. 7; and the broad category of "RELIGIOUS WORKERS, ALL DENOMINATIONS" is No. 90 on the INFP list. So INFPs are slightly more likely than the average type to have religious occupations, but INFJs are the quintessential religious workers. (ENFJs are the runners-up.)

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Appendix D to the Second Edition of the MBTI Manual includes lists of occupations "empirically attractive ... to the sixteen types," based on the CAPT MBTI data bank. Specific occupations are listed in mixed case and composite occupational categories are shown in UPPERCASE. The rankings in each list are based on the percentage of the applicable type making up the total number of respondents in the listed occupation or category. So, for example, the fact that art/drama/music teacher is the #2 occupation on the NF list doesn't mean that it's the second most common occupation among the NFs in the CAPT database. It means instead that, among the art/drama/music teachers in the CAPT database, the percentage of NFs was higher than the percentage of NFs for all but one other occupation.

The No. 1 occupation on the NF list is "Clergy, all denominations." The No. 1 and No. 3 occupations on the INFJ list are "Priests, monks" and "Clergy, all denominations"; "Religion: Educator, all denominations" is No. 8; and "RELIGIOUS WORKERS, ALL DENOMINATIONS" is No. 12. By contrast, the INFPs' top 30 only has one religious entry ("Religion: Educator, all denominations"), at No. 7; and the broad category of "RELIGIOUS WORKERS, ALL DENOMINATIONS" is No. 90 on the INFP list. So INFPs are slightly more likely than the average type to have religious occupations, but INFJs are the quintessential religious workers. (ENFJs are the runners-up.)

I'm an athiest. I know other athiest INFJs too. I wonder how many of us are. That would be an interesting correlation to note: Atheism and MBTI.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm an athiest. I know other athiest INFJs too. I wonder how many of us are. That would be an interesting correlation to note: Atheism and MBTI.

I noticed it's kind of hit or miss when it comes to INFJs. Most of the ones I'm aware of are Atheist but often believe in some "universal essence", so spiritual.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I noticed it's kind of hit or miss when it comes to INFJs. Most of the ones I'm aware of are Atheist but often believe in some "universal essence", so spiritual.

Yes, that is accurate for me. More along the lines of "universal mind" or non-duality. I'm more interested in concepts like energy patterns and cycles, theories of mind and experience, and the vastness of the universe and the likelihood of other life.