• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ni] MBTI must be destroyed.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
they're all just toys and I don't get why people take them so seriously... which some members do on here, including the occasional claim that it's evil and arguing over people's types passionately... it's a fucking toy and not worth that much effort :doh:

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
they're all just toys and I don't get why people take them so seriously... which some members do on here, including the occasional claim that it's evil and arguing over people's types passionately... it's a fucking toy and not worth that much effort :doh:

Yeah, I do think some take it too seriously, but it's mental masturbation; it's something to ponder and explore. It becomes a problem when people use it as a crutch in order to move through life.

Permabanned
It is very confusing to me. Especially when you can relate to many of the others types, which in turn makes you second guess yourself/type. I would love it if there were a method of finding out our true typology, as you said.
That is the allure. Identity and belonging.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
[MENTION=31909]agentwashington[/MENTION] - Don't worry about ruffling feathers. There is nothing wrong with having threads that are strictly for debating the accuracy of MBTI or any other typing system. Otherwise, this whole forum is just a joke. Actually, without critical thinking, it's basically a cult.

I have been having some internal struggle with grasping and fully accepting MBTI lately. I need to get my hands on some actual books and dive in deeper. The problem for me is that I can't use MBTI solely to explain myself. There are holes and inconsistencies that can only be "explained" by consideration of other typing systems used as supplementation. For example, I am almost certain that I use nearly equal part Fe and Fi, however, I don't often use Te, or at least in comparison to Ti, it's barely noticeable. MBTI has no explanation for this other than I'm "not healthy." Well... you know what I have to say to that? Fuck that. I have stood up multiple times with little regard for consequences or affecting the "mood" of a room, to the point where I probably seem like a major bitch at times. I have put my job on the line to voice my inner moral compass. I have gotten out of my car to address self-centered asshole drivers (three times now, and not in psycho road rage ways but more like "um, excuse me... no... you can't do that shit you asshole"). I recently was upset when my landlord group texted everyone in my building, thereby revealing my phone number to all of my neighbors, so I texted him a rather straightforward response informing him that he was out of line in doing such and that he needed to respect my privacy. How is any of that Fe? If you can tell me, then perhaps I will understand the differences between Fe and Fi better, but for now, I feel like I often sacrifice harmony for voicing my opinions. With that said, it is also obvious that I Fe all over the fricken place, or so I'm told at least.

For your consideration, here is the text I sent my landlord:

I know several INFJs irl, and I can't see any of them (maaaaybe one...) asserting their landlord or bosses like I have in the past. Rather, I see them sort of just dealing with it and letting things go. Now, for the mean time, I have explained this away through my enneagram, as I am double-reactive, and actually, I can see e1s being reactive too because of their strong moral code and judgy nature. Furthermore, being Sx/So could potentially make me more assertive. Point is, I can't explain myself with just MBTI.

I have considered the fact that perhaps I am an INFP, but that just doesn't seem to line up when I look at the other functions, and I also consistently test as INFJ, regardless, for several years now. I think maybe it's time to dive deeper into socionics and see what I find there.

If I am still not grasping exactly what Fi is, feel free to school me.

I think it all just f***s with our minds. I need a different hobby :/

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Forums can be filled with some pushy people who try push true types down our throat. If you argue about its truth, people get upset and either type you as weak thinking to win an argument, tell you to go away if you don't like it, or ban you. I've seen it happen to people. This is why true type theories seem dogmatic, cultish, and cliquey.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Forums can be filled with some pushy people who try push true types down our throat. If you argue about its truth, people get upset and either type you as weak thinking to win an argument, tell you to go away if you don't like it, or ban you. I've seen it happen to people. This is why true type theories seem dogmatic, cultish, and cliquey.

Or, they'll use the fact that you are thinking critically and responding assertively to say that you are an e6 or whatever other type they perceive to be "confrontational." Being assertive should never be confused with being confrontational.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Isabel Briggs-Myers was a racist woman who wrote a racist novel. She also attempted to use psychological descriptions on a black woman when the black woman spoke up about race equality. After figuring this, it's hard to even look at MBTI the same, even if it were in line with Jung's "Psychological Types." I am a black woman so basically, the MBTI probably wasn't made for me. In fact, both Isabel and her mother used the tests to help women find work during one of the wars. It is a dark system...

If that "racist" charge comes from the article I suspect it does, you should be ashamed of yourself for passing that garbage along. What's your source?

As for your "information" that "both Isabel and her mother used the tests to help women find work during one of the wars," you might want to take a look at this post.

When Katherine Briggs was alive, Jung rebuked her for trying to type people with such a narrow system. So, if Jung rebuked the MBTI, obviously he didn't deem it necessary for Isabel or her mom to add MBTI in there.

This is news to me. Do you have a respectable source you can point us to?

FYI, Carl Jung (mystical streak notwithstanding) was a believer in the scientific approach, and Myers took Psychological Types and devoted a substantial chunk of her life to putting its typological concepts to the test in a way that Jung never had, and in accordance with the psychometric standards applicable to the science of personality.

The MBTI actually represents a major advance — in multiple respects — beyond Jung's original categories and framework.

If you're interested, your reprogramming could begin with this post and the posts it links to.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
What doesn't make sense about MBTI is that it tests for dichotomies, and then gives you a spread of functions. I don't see how they relate at all. Just because I tested as ISFP, doesn't mean that I use FiSeNiTe. The connections don't follow.

Yes but if one were to assume that functions do order themselves in such a fashion, then ISFP would have to either be FiSeNiTe or SiFeTiNe, right?

If one believes that we have an actual, single type that can be measured, then both approaches should hypothetically land in the same place.

One could also see them as different but likely correlated, for example ISFP may be the type code for FiNeSiTe with emphasis on the sensing function.

All in all, I see functions as the better approach, as it's more clear cut, however functions and dichotomies use the same basic ideas.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Omg!! I think the same.. Let's destroy it.. But how?? Hmm.. Let's think a way of how we can actually destroy mbti!!!!! Think. Think. Think.. Help me up guys.. Let's brainstorm.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Omg!! I think the same.. Let's destroy it.. But how?? Hmm.. Let's think a way of how we can actually destroy mbti!!!!! Think. Think. Think.. Help me up guys.. Let's brainstorm.

Just stop giving it attention and it will go home.

Taibreah

Wait, you're an ESTP now? :p So, confusing. Haha

Maybe abandon MBTI in favor of Enneagrams?

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Wait, you're an ESTP now? [emoji14] So, confusing. Haha

Maybe abandon MBTI in favor of Enneagrams?
Hahahahahah!! I don't know myself that's why. Sometimes i feel like something else. Watch out, my mbti type, it's changing xD

Yeah enneagram is cool too. And socionics as well! Mbti i guess is the most sterotypical of all. I like jung more anyways but it relates to mbti.. As well as in socionics.. Well i heart psychology in general. :) no system is perfect anyways for complicated humans. :)

Taibreah

Hahahahahah!! I don't know myself that's why. Sometimes i feel like something else. Watch out, my mbti type, it's changing xD

Yeah enneagram is cool too. And socionics as well! Mbti i guess is the most sterotypical of all. I like jung more anyways but it relates to mbti.. As well as in socionics.. Well i heart psychology in general. :) no system is perfect anyways for complicated humans. :)
Hahaha yeah... I think mine could possibly be changing too. :p We really don't know who were are, do we? xD

The Question Club! Heh

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Hahaha yeah... I think mine could possibly be changing too. [emoji14] We really don't know who were are, do we? xD

The Question Club! Heh
Hahahah yeah. That's why im choosing not to think anymore!!! 😂

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Oh. Reverse psychology yeah? XD

Yes - counter backwards psychology with reverse psychology!

The thing is though, that the 16 types is a legitimate phenomenon. From what I can tell, it really does apply to people. It just lacks proper scientific status thus far because it's a new area. The internet is allowing for advances, and we'll probably see significant developments in the years to come - not technically in "MBTI" because that's Myers'/Briggs' version of it, but in Jungian Cognitive Function theory in general.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Yes - counter backwards psychology with reverse psychology!

The thing is though, that the 16 types is a legitimate phenomenon. From what I can tell, it really does apply to people. It just lacks proper scientific status thus far because it's a new area. The internet is allowing for advances, and we'll probably see significant developments in the years to come - not technically in "MBTI" because that's Myers'/Briggs' version of it, but in Jungian Cognitive Function theory in general.
I'm soooooo excited to.know who i ammmmmmm

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=29951]erg[/MENTION]
It's interesting that you gave this thread a [Ni] categorizer/threader because I've noticed that in MBTI talk, Ni is pretty much a throwaway concept - "oh, that thing that make people plan for the future and have tunnel vision". The Ni-dom categories are primarily defined by their Je-aux functions with a few footnotes about being introverted and have the above-mentioned qualities. There is close to zero talk of Ni as an actual dominant function. Just think how the other types define themselves by their dominant function and only occasionally address their aux function. MBTI in particular has distorted the Ni function because no, it doesn't mean making good retirement plans, it doesn't mean having tunnel vision, it doesn't equate to "weird", because based on what Jung says, it is an entire, dominanting perspective that is an internalized abstraction of reality. It is all encompassing, complex, and all defining for a Ni-dom personality. This has been lost in MBTI.

I actually had lunch with a self-declared INFJ who is completely off-set from the norm (regardless of being a Fe-aux). It actually struck me when I was talking to her that her entire vibe and energy was distinctive. It was almost like talking to someone who had visited from a parallel universe. There is no language or definition in MBTI to address the actuality of who she is, but there is in Jung's writings.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does MBTI weigh more than a duck? If so, it won't float and it is therefore a witch. Case closed.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ra,unisex_tshirt,x3104,fafafa:ca443f4786,front-c,650,630,900,975-bg,f8f8f8.u2.jpg