• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What cognitive function makes you skeptical?

Permabanned
They just say they are. The worst actors are the best liars.

GavinElster

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think intuition-dominance can act both for and against skepticism. For, because I cannot imagine any other generating more possibilities than I....but on another level, I find Ti-doms may tend to be uneasier without really perfectly well-defined foundations.
While I share their uneasiness some, since in some sense I have a harder time really believing we'll find them, I'm finer working with what we've got, since anyway I know I'll race on most likely. Sometimes it all fits together beautifully, though. In the end my attitude lets me sink my teeth into stuff with less reserve though.

I'm severely antidogma.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Well it depends, sometimes I guess being stubborn can be mistaken for scepticism?

It would be an Intraverted function, or at least that is what I think [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] thinks. But in my opinion it would be a T or F function. Data, provided internally would be Si (irrational function). So ISxJ would have their own data, but if they were presented with new data (e.g. specifications), they can easily adapt. Because after all, they are a Pi-Dom, as in Pi then Je (Si Te). Where as the ESTJ will have to think about it for a few days when presented with new data, same as with opposite of the type, the INFP (when stressed). ESTJ -> Je Pi. That rational function (Je/Ji) first (or Dom) is what I think, that will block it. Rational function, in the Jungian sense, could be F too.

That's how I understand the MBTI.

But some things do bother me too, especially when I know something to be a way, and they tell me it can't happen, then I will set out to go and find out why it can't happen as in I need to go see it for myself. And then I'm determined to make it happen of the way I understand it. :shrug:
We became skeptical because of one thing: fear of the unknown, lack of knowledge. Etc
We always wants proof. We need to see it, or feel it, we need confirmation, validation. Because we fear what's unknown. It's defense mechanism

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think people who are more aware of their "lower" functions because those challenge the "higher" function, thus making you skeptical.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
When I hear the word skeptical connected with MBTI my first thought is Ti.

I'm Ni and I have a tendency to change my viewpoint to see something as true and dismiss it after if it doesn't hold up.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
My Ni and keeps making assumptions and coming to conclusions and suspecting things. It works unconsciously; I can't control it. My Fi sometimes conspires with my Ni to throw off my rationality. My Te has to come along with its skepticism and pragmatism and give these functions a good beating every so often to keep them in line.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
My Ni and keeps making assumptions and coming to conclusions and suspecting things. It works unconsciously; I can't control it. My Fi sometimes conspires with my Ni to throw off my rationality. My Te has to come along with its skepticism and pragmatism and give these functions a good beating every so often to keep them in line.

I do the same thing with Ni-Ti. I overanalyze people and connect dots that don't need to be connected by filling in the blanks with my own assumptions. It's taken me a long time to acknowledge that I do this and that it's damaging to my relationships. I have a history of pathologizing or pitying people for things that aren't necessarily as bad as my mind paints them to be. At my worst, I do this with myself too.

Also, I don't mean anything cryptic by this, it is truly the best example of how I personally do this. I totally get it.

:)

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Pretty much everyone of my functions can make me sceptical about someone/something. Examples: Ne may chime in after hearing a certain story told by a friend and say "I can't imagine that really happened. And if I (!) can't imagine it, s/he's not telling the truth." Fi may read something into something someone says. You're having a bad hair day. You meet your friend. He says "didn't you plan to go to the barber shop?" Fi makes you wonder "is s/he hinting at something or not?". Te finds a logical fallacy in your plan (e.g. holiday plans) or in a system and that immediately makes you sceptical of its efficiency... and you feel the desire to solve that problem.
Si is sure something's always been this way (stupid example: your mother always wore ugly brown blouses) and now your brother tells you she never wore blousers, she loved t-shirts. You go: "Whaat?"

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
I do the same thing with Ni-Ti. I overanalyze people and connect dots that don't need to be connected by filling in the blanks with my own assumptions. It's taken me a long time to acknowledge that I do this and that it's damaging to my relationships.

You too huh? I find that Ni is generally more of a handicap than a gift. But you say that you lack Te, so does your Fe beat your Ni and Ti back in line?

I have a history of pathologizing or pitying people for things that aren't necessarily as bad as my mind paints them to be. At my worst, I do this with myself too.

Also, I don't mean anything cryptic by this, it is truly the best example of how I personally do this. I totally get it.

:)

I am often guilty of offending people by assuming too much (this should be all too obvious to you) and "pitying" them, although it is not actually pity (I do not feel pity; it is compassion).

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
You too huh? I find that Ni is generally more of a handicap than a gift. But you say that you lack Te, so does your Fe beat your Ni and Ti back in line?

Yes, but sometimes it's just plain other people beating me back in line, haha. I guess that is basically Fe activation, if anything. People causing me to step back and be more sympathetic or understanding of them. Sometimes it's as simple as someone telling me that my conclusion/theory is wrong. Sometimes it's seeing that I've made them feel lesser, and that really gets me like this >>> :cry:

I am often guilty of offending people by assuming too much (this should be all too obvious to you) and "pitying" them, although it is not actually pity (I do not feel pity; it is compassion).

I often feel compassionately towards others, but I sometimes pity certain things about them. (I guess the two are technically synonymous but pity has a more negative connotation) I guess it's pretty common for my types (MBTI and enneagram tritype) to be overly critical of others through analysis. It is unfortunately my achilles heel, but at least now I am aware of it. This is only after being called out on it a few times, usually by the men in my life. Actually, I was in denial of the problem until I realized that two men in a row had the same complaints. Hoping I can do better next time around.