• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] Offensive ExFP Stereotypes

PurpleDawn

Ok so obviously all types have idiotic stereotypes that go along with them, but I honestly find the stereotypes for ExFPs (ESFPs in particular) to be incredibly offensive and untrue. Seriously like go on a forum and try to find people NOT tagging ESFPs as the dumbest type, xxFPs as the most promiscuous (That really bothers me, how exactly does Fi = sl*t? Personally, I would think Fi users would be some of the least likely.), ExFPs as the shallowest (ya know like valley girl - ish), or xSFPs as the most selfish (Or spoiled). People also tend to say that ExxPs are the most likely to do drugs and the like which I don't agree with at all. I myself am an ENFP, and have quite a few ESFP, INFP, and ISFP friends (Never met another ENFP), and neither me nor them act that way at all. In fact, the ESFPs I know are all very deep, moral conscious, independent people. The major differences I can see between me and them is that I'm a bit more introverted, off in the clouds, and theoretical, whereas the ESFPs are a tad more extraverted, adventurous, and a lot more physically coordinated.
The whole personality type, MBTI, cognitive function, whatever ya wanna call it thing has been on my mind regularly for around 2 years now, and being my ENFP self I can’t help but overthink the shit out of it. I’ve come up with some interesting theories and assertions in the time, but I must admit I’ve taken a lot of it to heart hence why I’m making this thread.

Leave questions or feedback If you’d like to or if you can relate.
Have a nice day!

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
i just ignore all stereotypes tbh cos i know intp stereotypes dont fit me so i dont pay mind to any other ones either. i make my own stereotypes based on my personal experience instead lol. and i defo dont see any of those stereotypes you talked about in my ENFP friend. I have/had a few NFP friends and had one SFP friend and they defo dont match what you mentioned. My ENFP friend is most defintely the opposite of promiscuous lmao, she's as bad as me with never having dated and all, although she has a bit of an excuse since she went to an all girls school unlike me. The one SFP i was sort of friends with was spoiled but that was cos her family is rich, but she was super generous at the same time so not selfish at all. Drug users come of all different types and sizes. Idk about being a dumb type but my ENFP friend was on the same university course as me doing Chemical Engineering and was getting better grades than me so that's debunked lol and I have friends of different personality types that aren't as smart as her so. And shallow I would disagree with the most, people are only shallow if you don't get to know them, there's not a single person I know personally that I would deem shallow. I really don't think you should take any of it to heart, some people will have dumb stereotypes, nothing you can do about it but keep proving them wrong.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not aware of all the stereotypes you just described. Is this from daily life? Are there some online descriptions? The Fi being correlated with "slut" is a new one for me. I know that NTs get the intelligence stereotypes, but in reading the OP, some of those ideas were new to me. fwiw

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Yeah they're fucking stupid. That's why i hide my real type. Guess what I'm really an esfp. XD hahahahaha. But I'm not stupid u know. I'm not a bitch either. Joke. I'm estp. Hihi! 😁

Joke. Really i think im esfp. But not really inclined to my feelings. [emoji14] but i use Se and Fi. [emoji14]

Joke. It's Ne and Fi.

Nope

It's Se and Ti!!! Ftw xD

But I'm horny as fuck

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I haven't heard all of the stereotypes before, but yeah, I agree with a lot of what you're saying. One of my least favorite stereotypes about ENFPs is the one found on some type descriptions that ENFPs are bouncy happy bunnies who're annoying/cute all the time and just want to hug everyone. Maaaaaayyyyyybe there are a few ENFPs out there like that, but the ones I know can be very serious and deep.

I also hate the stereotype that INFPs are illogical, cry a lot, and are semi-babyish/whiny/helpless.
Yeah they're fucking stupid. That's why i hide my real type. Guess what I'm really an esfp. XD hahahahaha. But I'm not stupid u know. I'm not a bitch either. Joke. I'm estp. Hihi! 😁

Joke. Really i think im esfp. But not really inclined to my feelings. [emoji14] but i use Se and Fi. [emoji14]

Joke. It's Ne and Fi.

Nope

It's Se and Ti!!! Ftw xD

But I'm horny as fuck

I knew it! :newwink:
Don't worry about your real type on here! Most of the people here on typoC seem able to see passed the stereotypes. :p

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not aware of all the stereotypes you just described. Is this from daily life? Are there some online descriptions? The Fi being correlated with "slut" is a new one for me. I know that NTs get the intelligence stereotypes, but in reading the OP, some of those ideas were new to me. fwiw

The slut one does get used, especially for Se-doms, actually. Those that haven't developed their aux properly yet and are high on their dom tend to have this tendency. The problem is that it's also an escape mechanism for those with low-self esteem, so it gets labelled as problematic (like all dom functions on a rampage, basically). Meanwhile, because Fi does the whole 'jump passed pleasantries to get to the good, intimate stuff', it often gets the rep of being either a tease for establishing an intimate connection from the get go and then backing out of those 'promises' that that brings with it, or a slut when they (seem) combine that Fi intimate connection with that Se urge to experience things. Again, especially in ExFPs, because the Fi-aux is used like a parent function should - to 'love' and show affection to others. Meanwhile, ISFPs will do so with Se, which again can lead to the slut-stereotype, and INFPs will use silly Ne banter jokes to connect and love others.

And of course, calling someone a slut is the *best* way to discredit a woman socially, so it's a favourite tool for those that feel others aren't playing by social rules (such as Fi-users that tend to care less for that shit) and are behaving therefore inappropriately, and should therefore be penalised socially :coffee:

That said, our way can occasionally and often unintentionally create false expectations with others, due to the intensity of connection we can generate by being, well..pretty damn forward with private information, getting others to talk to us, and in a way often unconsciously 'mining them for intimate data' out of sheer curiosity. That stuff tends to be reserved for a mate, for most types, so it can create an emotional one-night stand effect, leaving the other party feeling cheated out of something they were looking to invest in long-term.

As for the 'dumb' stereotype, it's due to the fact that we use Fi instead of Ti. Ti is our weak spot, and it's often equated with logic, critical thinking and just about anything else that is valued in society as 'intelligence'. Meanwhile, Fi-logic and wisdom is a lot like art. It's subjective, one has to develop an eye for it to really appreciate its 'usefulness' and impact, and its wisdom cannot be quantified, tested or peer-reviewed. And that makes it very hard to explain it, or teach it, or even appreciate it. There just isn't a straight forward way for that as it is individual to every person.

So there are plenty of people who don't get the value of Fi, some of who are very prone to discrediting anything that smells woo-woo to them and cannot be held up to their own critical yardstick while being absolutely certain that anything they cannot understand must be bullshit and yeah...the 'dumb' stereotype is born (the same is true from our side, with labels like 'cruel' and 'uncultured' being used). Again, it's very much understandable, because when you cannot verify something yourself (as you lack that skill set/preference to develop it) and it doesn't in *any* way make sense to the yardstick you've mastered, value and understand, it makes sense not to trust it in the least :shrug:

From what I can tell, we're all equally stupid - just in different areas. It is certainly true that when it comes to Ti, we often fail miserably, and so, there is certainly some truth to the stereotype, as is often the case with stereotypes. And because Ti is often prized in society, those who prefer it make no qualms about loudly proclaiming their preference the golden standard, the 'objective' label of stupid and dumb is stamped on those that cannot keep up with that standard. Which..ironically, fails the Fi-standard of balancing your own preferences and values with universal values and truth :D

Meanwhile,I can no longer count the amount of people I've met who have been confounded by the fact that somehow our kind can defy rules they considered unbreakable, or circumvent the only logical path they see to get to a goal and cannot for the life of them backtrack how we got there anyway, and not just that, before them. Even when you explain to them how those people get there, a few of them still look at you like you must be nuts for denying (and defying :devil:) the laws of gravity somehow. That, or they accuse them of cheating and evil manipulative tricks :shrug:

I swear they'd scream 'WITCHHHH!!!' at you, if they weren't so busy convincing themselves that witchcraft is a silly notion that is too ridiculous for words, only to be indulged in by wanna-be Harry Potters :wink:

I call it the Pinkie Pie Phenomenon:

With all this said, the amount of crude stereotyping like this (with our type as well as with others) has seriously declined on this forum over the years, so it's nowhere near as prevalent as it once was, which is definitely progress :)

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
I haven't heard all of the stereotypes before, but yeah, I agree with a lot of what you're saying. One of my least favorite stereotypes about ENFPs is the one found on some type descriptions that ENFPs are bouncy happy bunnies who're annoying/cute all the time and just want to hug everyone. Maaaaaayyyyyybe there are a few ENFPs out there like that, but the ones I know can be very serious and deep.

I also hate the stereotype that INFPs are illogical, cry a lot, and are semi-babyish/whiny/helpless.

I knew it! :newwink:
Don't worry about your real type on here! Most of the people here on typoC seem able to see passed the stereotypes. :p
Yeah.. And i don't really even know it actually. XD I'm really confused until now.. I don't wanna believe the tests. XD It's like very stereotypical. I don't even know what to believe. [emoji14]

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah.. And i don't really even know it actually. XD I'm really confused until now.. I don't wanna believe the tests. XD It's like very stereotypical. I don't even know what to believe. [emoji14]

Hmm, well you seem pretty similar to the two ESFPs I know IRL but two people hardly makes an accurate comparison group. :p The stereotypes are annoying, but they're not really all that accurate, and the people who would judge you for them aren't really worth the time anyways. Additionally, you are who you are right now, no matter what your type is. I mean, calling yourself ENTP or ISFJ doesn't change who you really are. :) *nodnod* Plus, MBTI is popular, but most people aren't familiar enough with it to hold any negative stereotypes. Most of the people I talk to IRL don't even know their MBTI type, much less judge others on MBTI type. ;)

PurpleDawn

Neither really, except maybe the occasional online description. Like any stereotype it's mostly just widespread rumors and misconceptions that I frequently see in other forums and in various places on the internet. As for daily life, no one I know in person really cares about this type of thing lol.

PurpleDawn

Hmm, well you seem pretty similar to the two ESFPs I know IRL but two people hardly makes an accurate comparison group. :p The stereotypes are annoying, but they're not really all that accurate, and the people who would judge you for them aren't really worth the time anyways. Additionally, you are who you are right now, no matter what your type is. I mean, calling yourself ENTP or ISFJ doesn't change who you really are. :) *nodnod* Plus, MBTI is popular, but most people aren't familiar enough with it to hold any negative stereotypes. Most of the people I talk to IRL don't even know their MBTI type, much less judge others on MBTI type. ;)

In all my time over thinking, researching, annoying, and typing people with the MBTI IRL, I've only ever met one person who already knew the deal (My INFP english teacher 2 years ago), and gotten one person somewhat interested in it (My ENTP friend). So yea I'd say in the grand scheme of things it isn't not too popular.

PurpleDawn

i just ignore all stereotypes tbh cos i know intp stereotypes dont fit me so i dont pay mind to any other ones either. i make my own stereotypes based on my personal experience instead lol. and i defo dont see any of those stereotypes you talked about in my ENFP friend. I have/had a few NFP friends and had one SFP friend and they defo dont match what you mentioned. My ENFP friend is most defintely the opposite of promiscuous lmao, she's as bad as me with never having dated and all, although she has a bit of an excuse since she went to an all girls school unlike me. The one SFP i was sort of friends with was spoiled but that was cos her family is rich, but she was super generous at the same time so not selfish at all. Drug users come of all different types and sizes. Idk about being a dumb type but my ENFP friend was on the same university course as me doing Chemical Engineering and was getting better grades than me so that's debunked lol and I have friends of different personality types that aren't as smart as her so. And shallow I would disagree with the most, people are only shallow if you don't get to know them, there's not a single person I know personally that I would deem shallow. I really don't think you should take any of it to heart, some people will have dumb stereotypes, nothing you can do about it but keep proving them wrong.

Thanks for the response! Yea I haven't dated much either (i'm a guy tho). Also funny you should mention Chemical Engineering, that's a field I was looking into for a while and am still kind of considering.

PurpleDawn

I'm almost certain you're an ESxP of some sort. Like I said before try your best to see which judging functions you use.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In all my time over thinking, researching, annoying, and typing people with the MBTI IRL, I've only ever met one person who already knew the deal (My INFP english teacher 2 years ago), and gotten one person somewhat interested in it (My ENTP friend). So yea I'd say in the grand scheme of things it isn't not too popular.

That makes sense. I have a homeschool writing group IRL who really likes MBTI, but no one else I know is familiar with it.

PurpleDawn

The slut one does get used, especially for Se-doms, actually. Those that haven't developed their aux properly yet and are high on their dom tend to have this tendency. The problem is that it's also an escape mechanism for those with low-self esteem, so it gets labelled as problematic (like all dom functions on a rampage, basically). Meanwhile, because Fi does the whole 'jump passed pleasantries to get to the good, intimate stuff', it often gets the rep of being either a tease for establishing an intimate connection from the get go and then backing out of those 'promises' that that brings with it, or a slut when they (seem) combine that Fi intimate connection with that Se urge to experience things. Again, especially in ExFPs, because the Fi-aux is used like a parent function should - to 'love' and show affection to others. Meanwhile, ISFPs will do so with Se, which again can lead to the slut-stereotype, and INFPs will use silly Ne banter jokes to connect and love others.

And of course, calling someone a slut is the *best* way to discredit a woman socially, so it's a favourite tool for those that feel others aren't playing by social rules (such as Fi-users that tend to care less for that shit) and are behaving therefore inappropriately, and should therefore be penalised socially :coffee:

That said, our way can occasionally and often unintentionally create false expectations with others, due to the intensity of connection we can generate by being, well..pretty damn forward with private information, getting others to talk to us, and in a way often unconsciously 'mining them for intimate data' out of sheer curiosity. That stuff tends to be reserved for a mate, for most types, so it can create an emotional one-night stand effect, leaving the other party feeling cheated out of something they were looking to invest in long-term.

As for the 'dumb' stereotype, it's due to the fact that we use Fi instead of Ti. Ti is our weak spot, and it's often equated with logic, critical thinking and just about anything else that is valued in society as 'intelligence'. Meanwhile, Fi-logic and wisdom is a lot like art. It's subjective, one has to develop an eye for it to really appreciate its 'usefulness' and impact, and its wisdom cannot be quantified, tested or peer-reviewed. And that makes it very hard to explain it, or teach it, or even appreciate it. There just isn't a straight forward way for that as it is individual to every person.

So there are plenty of people who don't get the value of Fi, some of who are very prone to discrediting anything that smells woo-woo to them and cannot be held up to their own critical yardstick while being absolutely certain that anything they cannot understand must be bullshit and yeah...the 'dumb' stereotype is born (the same is true from our side, with labels like 'cruel' and 'uncultured' being used). Again, it's very much understandable, because when you cannot verify something yourself (as you lack that skill set/preference to develop it) and it doesn't in *any* way make sense to the yardstick you've mastered, value and understand, it makes sense not to trust it in the least :shrug:

From what I can tell, we're all equally stupid - just in different areas. It is certainly true that when it comes to Ti, we often fail miserably, and so, there is certainly some truth to the stereotype, as is often the case with stereotypes. And because Ti is often prized in society, those who prefer it make no qualms about loudly proclaiming their preference the golden standard, the 'objective' label of stupid and dumb is stamped on those that cannot keep up with that standard. Which..ironically, fails the Fi-standard of balancing your own preferences and values with universal values and truth :D

Meanwhile,I can no longer count the amount of people I've met who have been confounded by the fact that somehow our kind can defy rules they considered unbreakable, or circumvent the only logical path they see to get to a goal and cannot for the life of them backtrack how we got there anyway, and not just that, before them. Even when you explain to them how those people get there, a few of them still look at you like you must be nuts for denying (and defying :devil:) the laws of gravity somehow. That, or they accuse them of cheating and evil manipulative tricks :shrug:

I swear they'd scream 'WITCHHHH!!!' at you, if they weren't so busy convincing themselves that witchcraft is a silly notion that is too ridiculous for words, only to be indulged in by wanna-be Harry Potters :wink:

I call it the Pinkie Pie Phenomenon:

With all this said, the amount of crude stereotyping like this (with our type as well as with others) has seriously declined on this forum over the years, so it's nowhere near as prevalent as it once was, which is definitely progress :)

I can somewhat see how Fi would be seen that way as a parent function, seeing as though I try to be very human and relatable to most people. That said, most of the IxFPs I know are very much the same (For the most part that is, I've noticed that a few of them succumb to peer pressure much easier than I do. Depends on the IxFP though). As for Ne, I don't really see that much of an external difference, all the xNxPs I know have the same insane, screwed up sense of humor as I do, and we all live in our heads 95% of the time. The one thing I do realize however, is that I'm a bit more prone to overthinking the everliving shit out of something than an INxP would be. Another interesting thing to note is that most of the INxPs I know have ADD/ADHD, whereas me and my ENTP friend don't. (Not too much to go on however, since I know A LOT more INxPs than ENxPs for whatever reason. I've actually never met another ENFP IRL, 7% of the population my ass xD). As for Ti I don't think it has too much to do with smartness, seeing as though I was always very skilled at math and science (currently doing quite well in 2 AP courses - Calculus and Chemistry), and I have 2 INFP friends who are very academic oriented. I do however, strongly dislike any form of it that seems inhumane (like dissecting a human or something lol) rather than natural, chemical, or theoretical which is probably where my Fi is stopping me from becoming a mad scientist lol. I always saw science as kind of an Ne thing as well, as it's very theoretical and curious in nature.

By the way, I love MLP and like how you used The Pinkie Sense as an example lol. Speaking of which, what do you type Pinkie Pie as? Personally i see her as an ESFP, a lot say ENFP but I don't really see it. I see more Inferior Ni in her.

And with all that said, have a nice day!

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so

Yeah true. But im estp. because estp are cool. hahahahha!

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Anyone can be a slut. ESFPs are kind of unique on that level in that they are very adept at following contracts. They're not the cheating type, but they're also the porn star type. The strong introverted feeling divorces them from generalized societal definitions of what might constitute a slut and lets them make their own rules with the people close to them. I wouldn't be surprised if most ESFP porn stars have significant others that support and encourage their careers.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Anyone can be a slut. ESFPs are kind of unique on that level in that they are very adept at following contracts. They're not the cheating type, but they're also the porn star type. The strong introverted feeling divorces them from generalized societal definitions of what might constitute a slut and lets them make their own rules with the people close to them. I wouldn't be surprised if most ESFP porn stars have significant others that support and encourage their careers.
Oh.. Maybe I'm really an esfp because sometimes i wanna be a porn star..and then before i say to myself.. I'm gonna be a sex goddess. XD hahahahahahah. XD and I'm very sexual. Like i am so geek about sex that i studied about it, interview my nonvirgin friends.. And then well observe cocks.. Everything when i was still a teenage virgin. XD hahahahahahahhha.. I also buy sex books, study kamasutra.. Everything jahahahahhahaha.. That's why my intp ex was very very very sexually satisfied. Hahahah. 😂
And i don't know I'm so sexual. It's like being sexual is very normal. Like it's a masterpiece to hear moaning. Hahahahhaa. XD