• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is being talkative got something to do with extraversion/introversion?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I would say there's certainly a correlation. Being in a group of people and having the extroverts dominate the conversation seems a typical state of affairs.

ENTP is known to be a more introverted leaning of the extrovert types, due to the nature of Ne - it is extroverted, but ideas based so can be mistaken for introversion.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
There is correlation, but some introvert can be more talkative than some extravert. Also introverts are more often not as talkative with new people, so the differences come a bit smaller once everyone knows everyone. And because extraverts more often want some external stimulation, so they are more inclined to trying to find something to talk about to get that stimulation. While introverts often dont need so much external stimulation, but will talk as much as extraverts if there is something interesting to talk about(more interesting thats going on in their heads). And because of these differences, extraverted people have more often learned to strike up a conversation easier, so they might start talking, while introvert is still thinking in his head like "wtf should i say to this person. hmm. Maybe x? Nah, y is better. Or wait there is z! Or maybe someone might get insulted about it"..

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am incredibly talkative when I am talking about what I know.

I have a hard time listening, though. I get bored in conversations very easily when I don't know the subject matter.

I want to go back to talking about what I know...It guess this makes me pretty egoistical and unwilling to learn, huh?

Yes.

But this also sounds like most people, fwiw.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Nah, it's about comfort.

My best friend is a very strong imtrovert but around people he feels comfortable with he will talk forever,

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you feel energized when you are around people, including people you are not close to? I am NOT referring to people you are uncomfortable/hostile with.

If so you are probably an Extrovert.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think there can be some tendency towards introverts speaking in monologues and extroverts speaking in dialog, but that's also a simplification. It does serve as another parameter for the question, though.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Do you feel energized when you are around people, including people you are not close to? I am NOT referring to people you are uncomfortable/hostile with.

If so you are probably an Extrovert.
I think extroversion ain't really how sociable you are.. It's actually how you get stimulation.. Do you get stimulation from the external world? You're an extrovert. Do you get Stimulation from your inner world!? Or is sitting in a quiet place whilst having your mind stimulated better for you? Then you're an introvert. I met extroverts and introverts.. Some introverts are really really talkative they wouldn't stop specially If you're close with. Some extroverts we're not that good on one on one talks and prefer talking in groups and being loud.

ElleG

MBTI Type
INJF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is a cliché or better yet, a misunderstanding. As more and more research is done into introversion, it's been discovered that there are multiple types. Also, introversion/extroversion is on a scale, so there are quieter extroverts out there. There are also ambiverts: people who are roughly at the center on the I/E scale.

4 Types of Introversion

• Social
• Thinking
• Anxious
• Restrained

Here's a great article covering the 4 types and a brief test you can take:
Apparently There Are 4 Kinds of Introversion -- Science of Us

People who don't know me well or at all often mistake me as an extrovert and it's actually fairly common for INFJ's to be mistaken for extroverts because they are people-focused. I don't have social introversion; I have thinking introversion--which aligns pretty well with someone who is Ni-dominant. I'm also just shy of center on the I/E scale.

PurpleDawn

Nah, especially not for ENFPs, ENTPs (Chronic ambiverts), and some ESTPs. I'm a total reserved loner unless I'm around people that I feel get me or interest me. If you saw me irl you'd probably type me as an INTJ lol

PurpleDawn

This is a cliché or better yet, a misunderstanding. As more and more research is done into introversion, it's been discovered that there are multiple types. Also, introversion/extroversion is on a scale, so there are quieter extroverts out there. There are also ambiverts: people who are roughly at the center on the I/E scale.

4 Types of Introversion

• Social
• Thinking
• Anxious
• Restrained

Here's a great article covering the 4 types and a brief test you can take:
Apparently There Are 4 Kinds of Introversion -- Science of Us

People who don't know me well or at all often mistake me as an extrovert and it's actually fairly common for INFJ's to be mistaken for extroverts because they are people-focused. I don't have social introversion; I have thinking introversion--which aligns pretty well with someone who is Ni-dominant. I'm also just shy of center on the I/E scale.

That's actually really interesting, I hadn't heard of this before but I just read up about it. I'm a Social & Thinking Introvert, but not the other two. So yea Ambivert lol

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
That's actually really interesting, I hadn't heard of this before but I just read up about it. I'm a Social & Thinking Introvert, but not the other two. So yea Ambivert lol
So am i xD ambivert ftw ftw ftw

Taibreah

I don't understand the chart in the results, but from reading the description of each I can see myself fitting with the Social and Thinking Introverts. I hardly feel anxious just by being in a social setting, it can be tiring but not invoke anxiety. As for the restrained part, I wouldn't say I operate at a slow pace when it comes to getting up and doing things, but more with taking time to think about what I'm going to say rather than blurt out the first thought that pops into my head.