• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intuitive with anxiety vs. Sensor

peter pettishrooms

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
How often do intuitives mistype as sensors because of an anxiety disorder? From my understanding, anxiety makes one become more alert of their surroundings because of the need to look out for danger, and they can even focus on unnecessary details. What are the key differences between a sensor and anxious intuitive?

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
The sensor will be 'at home' with sensing. It will be more natural, mature, easy, with considerably less energy expenditure. An intuitive would probably find relief once they shifted their focus, back to conceptions/relationships/patterns, etc. Unless the anxiety arises from an N being so intuitvely focused that they neglect practical matters and function poorly 'in the real world'. In that case, breaking out of that and re-focusing on what needs to be attended to, might provide considerable relief.

complexa46

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
I read that when a type is under stress/anxiety the letters are flipped so under stress id be an unhealthy ESTP. When I'm in this state I get very jittery, eyes darting everywhere. I indulge unhealthily in sensory stuff aka binging. And I feel like a completely different person so I'd say the main difference is that sensors I know are more relaxed when focusing on sensory stimuli, it's their natural functioning. But for me, I'm tense and it's a negative experience.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How often do intuitives mistype as sensors because of an anxiety disorder? From my understanding, anxiety makes one become more alert of their surroundings because of the need to look out for danger, and they can even focus on unnecessary details. What are the key differences between a sensor and anxious intuitive?
Perhaps accuracy of the perceptions? If you are hyper-aware of surroundings and are constantly misinterpreting the concrete world as a result, then that would be a clear sign of an iNtuitive focusing on environment out of stress?

Sensors naturally take in more concrete details, but tend to do this accurately. They see what is concretely there and a stressed out intuitive will see what's there with an overlay of their imagination and internal expectations, I suspect.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My anxiety isn't about my surroundings. It's about the future and other scary unknown things. I feel anxiety for the unknown because I can't stand it. I see every terrible possibility and become upset. (And I'm nothing like an ENTP when I'm anxious. It's just inferior Ne).

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Shadow functions or inferior functions, probably. It depends on the individual, I'd say.

My hunch is that "healthy" functions should, theoretically, go along with stated i-e-i-e stacks, or e-i-e-i stacks. Look into "Looping" or "gripping", as well as "shadow functions".

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
I'm actually opposite. When I'm depressed i became intuitive. When I'm a sensor I'm confident. When i live in my head i am anxious

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it depends on how well developed you are. I am ESFP, but I don't get overly anxious about my future if I have a good enough idea, and take some time out to plan enough ahead. Yeah, I'm a bit dodgy with my Ni, but it wouldn't send me into a severe fit of anxiety or anything. It might tire me out when I try and use it for too long, but I'm well over the "freaking out" stage.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have social anxiety and sometimes am unaware of my surroundings. I did mistype as an intuitive for a while because I feel "alienated" like the intuitive descriptions usually depict, but my cognitive functions say otherwise.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have chronic depression, so sometimes a little anxiety pops up from time to time. I don't think of scary multiple possibilities or anything like that, though. It's just the physical symptoms that ends up bothering me: Shaking hands, rapid heart beat, unable to breathe, and so on. I sometimes cope by overeating to try to comfort myself out of the anxiety.

PurpleDawn

I have pretty bad anxiety, but I don't think I'd ever mistype as a sensor. When I get anxious I become very Si oriented, which leads to me being extremely depressed, but my Ne is still very much there just feeling really shot down. It's kind of like my Ne and Fi are still there, just taken control of by inferior Si. As for the 8th function, I experience Se when I'm at my absolute worst low, such as when I'm in a panic attack, or nihilistic attitude.

PurpleDawn

I'm actually opposite. When I'm depressed i became intuitive. When I'm a sensor I'm confident. When i live in my head i am anxious

Are you sure you're an ENTP and not an ESTP? You just described how an ESTP would react pretty accurately.

cosmictone

Vagrant Terranaut
MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
interesting theory. i type as intuitive quite a bit.

i think i project my feelings when im stressed. i get ultra paranoid and think people are talking about me. is this ni? usually my body temp will rise and that's how i know i need to distract myself, but i can't. i mean my impulse is to confront the person but i just feel so crazy and i don't want to embarass myself or start a conflict. i ask myself why am i being so paranoid and beat myself up instead. then i logically try to figure out what they're talking about by listening very closely, usually to no avail...

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Are you sure you're an ENTP and not an ESTP? You just described how an ESTP would react pretty accurately.
Oh really?!! Do you think that's estp trait?! I think I'm really estp. Well i just said I'm entp because the time i took a test, i got entp and i am accessing typoc on website that's why i changed my type.. And tadah! The story behind my entp type. XD but i can relate with estp u know.. I really think im an estp. But the stereotype ruins my belief

PurpleDawn

Oh really?!! Do you think that's estp trait?! I think I'm really estp. Well i just said I'm entp because the time i took a test, i got entp and i am accessing typoc on website that's why i changed my type.. And tadah! The story behind my entp type. XD but i can relate with estp u know.. I really think im an estp. But the stereotype ruins my belief
Forget stereotypes and look at functions

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If this is something you've developed over time, think about how you were as a young person. Were you a big thinking kid in their own world or were you sensitive to your body and surroundings in a sensory way? Also is it second nature for you to attend to the sensory world or are you *trying* to do it in order to save yourself from yourself?

Also thread title alone like the fact the question is being raised at all makes me think you're intuitive with anxiety lol. Like a sensor wouldn't think twice about their sensory proclivities. That's why learning about ourselves is such a huge undertaking. Most people only know the world through the way they perceive and judge it.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
interesting theory. i type as intuitive quite a bit.

i think i project my feelings when im stressed. i get ultra paranoid and think people are talking about me. is this ni? usually my body temp will rise and that's how i know i need to distract myself, but i can't. i mean my impulse is to confront the person but i just feel so crazy and i don't want to embarass myself or start a conflict. i ask myself why am i being so paranoid and beat myself up instead. then i logically try to figure out what they're talking about by listening very closely, usually to no avail...

We're most sensitive to our weaknesses. I'm always paranoid I'm forgetting a detail or overlooking some important thing that will cause others either discomfort or dissatisfaction. It's awareness of your inferior/shadows imo. A person with dominant intuition would be more likely to pick up on a pattern that would either lead them to believe or reject the idea that maybe someone was talking about them.

Also as far as tests go, there is a HUGE language problem with the way sensing vs intuitive questions are presented. I think it's compounded by the fact that sensing types are often less aware of the intuitive experience due to the fact that it's *theoretical* and *abstract* in nature. Like most people are capable of abstract thought regardless of perceiving function. I hope that makes sense lol

Edit: that did not make sense in the way I meant it to haha. OK I'm saying that it's not because a sensing type can't conceive the theoretical or abstract nature of intuition, simply that as a person with the capability for abstraction of thought but without the experience of dominant intuition, a person who has sensing dominance is likely to answer in the affirmative to questions meant to indicate intuition because they have experiences with that kind of thinking. An intuitive dominant will more likely recognize their weakness in the area of sensory perception than a sensory dominant would recognize the opposite. Our world runs on sensing for its nuts and bolts of daily living, so when that's not your strength it has probably already been burned into your psyche lol