• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ti-Si vs Si-Ti

Methylene

Now with more salt.
I've tried looking online but nothing found.
What's the difference between a Ti-Si and a Si-Ti loop? How can I tell them apart?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Well, the obvious: one has stronger Ti, the other has stronger Si.

In a Ti-Si loop, the Ti will appear frequently without the Si, but I don't think the Si would appear without the Ti, and the other way around for Si.

One is predominantly rational (sticking to principles), the other is predominantly irrational (going with the [mental] flow).

Gone

Unhelpful answer of the day:
Break out of the loop, then you'll know.

No, seriously, from what I know in a loop only the auxiliary is suppressed because of poor development, the inferior should be still active somewhere in the background.
Also I found this:
INTP/ISFJ: Ti/Si or Si/Ti--Schizotypal Personality Disorder. I see this most commonly in INTP dom/tert loops (Ti+Si), resulting in totally giving up on attempting to obtain the social/interpersonal connections that inferior Fe drives them to unconsciously desire. Schizotypal people are seen (and typically see themselves) as having such unusual thoughts and behaviors that widespread social acceptance is nearly impossible. Ti thinks, "I cannot find any logical explanation for social rituals" and Si reinforces this self-isolating, risk-averse behavior by constantly reminding the user: "Remember how badly this went last time you tried?" If Ne were doing its job, it would remind the user to continue experimenting to find a new approach. In the ISFJ version, Si becomes ultra risk-averse and refuses to try anything new or unfamiliar. If Fe were doing its job, the ISFJ would learn that some risk is necessary in order to uphold obligations to others and avoid living in total solitude. Deep down, these types really do want social connection and ritual (Fe), but have found themselves so poor at it that they simply give up trying.
Source: Dominant-Tertiary Loops and Common Personality Disorders
It's not much and I don't know if it's accurate or just stereotypical but maybe it can give a general sense of direction.

Gone

How is a loop broken out of?

Basically by reconnecting with your auxiliary function. In a loop, the main two functions are the dominant and the tertiary which are of the same orientation (introversion/extroversion). This creates an imbalance. External/internal impulses from the auxiliary which normally would keep the dominant function in check are ignored, instead it is reinforced by the tertiary which pulls in the same direction as the dominant one.
The crazy thing is, often loops are regarded as positive by people who are stuck in it. For introverted types, their personal perception fits their personal value/logic framework and they don't allow external impulses to maybe disprove their conclusions or give new perspectives. They lose their connection to the world, while extroverted types lose their connection to themselves. They overindulge in external stimulation and thrive on external validation. Both can be rewarding for the looping person, in a certain way, so recognizing that something's wrong and deciding that something has to be done about it can be difficult, and more difficult still to find out what has to be done, how to reanimate the auxiliary and put the tertiary back in its place. This is of course different for every type, and there can be individual differences, too, so I can't really give real life examples. I guess, try and see what works.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Basically by reconnecting with your auxiliary function. In a loop, the main two functions are the dominant and the tertiary which are of the same orientation (introversion/extroversion). This creates an imbalance. External/internal impulses from the auxiliary which normally would keep the dominant function in check are ignored, instead it is reinforced by the tertiary which pulls in the same direction as the dominant one.
The crazy thing is, often loops are regarded as positive by people who are stuck in it. For introverted types, their personal perception fits their personal value/logic framework and they don't allow external impulses to maybe disprove their conclusions or give new perspectives. They lose their connection to the world, while extroverted types lose their connection to themselves. They overindulge in external stimulation and thrive on external validation. Both can be rewarding for the looping person, in a certain way, so recognizing that something's wrong and deciding that something has to be done about it can be difficult, and more difficult still to find out what has to be done, how to reanimate the auxiliary and put the tertiary back in its place. This is of course different for every type, and there can be individual differences, too, so I can't really give real life examples. I guess, try and see what works.

I think I've been in a Ni-Ti loop for as long as I've had Ti. Social anxiety made me very avoidant so Fe got cut down quite early on and Ti took its place. Now even Se is becoming more apparent than Fe. So it's as if by trying to break out of the loop and be more extroverted, I've ended up with Se instead of Fe (a bit d'oh!, but not too bad/possibly very good because now I have better Se). I get the feeling that I need to connect with people to build Fe, but I need Fe to connect with people, so there's a paradoxical situation with breaking out of the loop. I'm sure Fe can be used just fine away from people, too, which is where I had better start so that things actually do start.

And a note on theory: all 3 secondary functions (auxiliary, tertiary, inferior) balance the dominant, the aux and ter balance rationality and irrationality, whereas the aux and inf balance introversion and extroversion. I believe it is because the aux function balances both that it is typically the stronger of the 3.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A Ti-Si loop is more like this:

While a Si-Ti loop is more like this: