• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Social Media Sites and Forums -How Do Different Types Experience Them?

Litsnob

Please share your opinions on social media sites and/or online forums and how you believe your attitudes and experiences with them relate to your MBTI

I will share a bit about mine to start: I am awkward online but drawn to forums because I find more introverts online than I do in the offline world and I want to know more about how other introverts experience their lives. Most forum and social media sites leave me with constant mixed reactions of wanting to be there and wanting to run back to my cave. I am INTJ

treetophideaway

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
It depends on what type of social platform it is. If it's something where everyone knows me in real life and they can all see what I say and then I have to see them after I've said it (i.e. Facebook, Twitter) then I'm more hesitant to post my actual opinions/feelings. If it's just posting pictures to people I know (i.e. Instagram) then I don't care as much, but I'm still hesitant. If there's some element of privacy (like in a forum such as this where you don't know who I am and I never have to actually see you) then I don't mind being honest. This doesn't stem from the fact that f it's anonymous I can be mean or brutally honest. This has to die with the fact that I'm not that comfortable expressing my personal feelings (good or bad, nice or mean) in front of large groups of people where anyone can see it at any time. I don't know what people are going to think about what I say. I'm not fickle though. My opinion isn't going to change regardless of what a person thinks, but I still care about how people perceive what I say if that makes any sense. I can agree with the sentiment of having mixed reactions; I too want to be there but at the same time I don't want always want to be there or want you to know I'm there. I like to see what others have to say, but I don't always like to share what I have to say.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Whut? is my reaction to most.

Facebook I've got but largely ignore except for messages. I'm not good at networking and don't enjoy too much attention (though I have posted pictures a lot here).

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ISTJ: I use Tumblr and this forum for social media. I find people especially on tumblr to be immature, but you find this is real life. You can't seem to escape human stupidity. I am usually more talkative on the internet than irl because being behind a screen gives me time to think about my replies, so that relates to introversion. I like attention, but only online, so the internet is good with that. I basically just share memes, aesthetic posts, and opinions.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I like forums for the discussions but it really depends on the subject matter. I've used Twitter for years because it's efficient. I have no interest in Facebook or any other social media vehicle with the exception of Pinterest. I don't think I've communicated with a single human. I'm there for the DIY and recipes.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
twitter facebook i mostly joke with people keep things light never post my darker thoughts. here i'm way more honest well i'm not dishonest on the other sites but i hide my actually feelings and opinions if they're unpopular.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I use tumblr and facebook. Tumblr for reblogging images and facebook for keeping in contact with about 50 people who matter to me to at least some degree (otherwise I'd delete them). I don't post much on facebook at all.

I never really used forums until I found this one. It was sort of difficult to find my place in the social dynamic here initially but TypeC feels comfy to me now.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
I have Tumblr, Twitter and Facebook. Forums usually give me cancer due to the crowds that they attract, and there's a lot more control over what you get to see on both Tumblr and Facebook. I'm only on facebook when I need to contact someone. Twitter is virtually worthless to me; too fast paced.

I do need to expand my presence online..... .... ..... So far TypeC seems nice.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I like to discuss and share but I'm kind of shy, too. I guess. If I don't feel like anyone is paying attention to me, which is often, I tend to give up and leave. Although I don't have Facebook, haven't had it for years, and I don't intend on having it. It's a complete shit show these days. I've deleted Tumblr numerous times, as well as Twitter, but I'm still on both. But I don't really use Twitter much. It's just because I try and reach out and get to know people and stuff, but I feel like nobody really bothers, or that I'll always be on the outside looking in, so I just, I tend to give up.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I'm fundamentally incompatible with 99% of other people.

Mole

Permabanned
Please share your opinions on social media sites and/or online forums and how you believe your attitudes and experiences with them relate to your MBTI

I will share a bit about mine to start: I am awkward online but drawn to forums because I find more introverts online than I do in the offline world and I want to know more about how other introverts experience their lives. Most forum and social media sites leave me with constant mixed reactions of wanting to be there and wanting to run back to my cave. I am INTJ

It's extraordinary, we each have mirror neurons in our brains and so we can mirror the thoughts and feelings of one another. In other words, we can share our minds.

This makes us the largest animal on the planet, the most adaptable, and the most fitted to our environment by natural selection.

Yet it is obvious we don't listen to one another, we are relentlessly narcissistic, so what happened to sharing our minds?

So once again it is obvious we are not sharing the content of our minds, so what are we doing here?

So rather than sharing the content of our minds, we are changing our minds together.

We are changing the way we think, not what we think.

We are anaesthetised by all the conflicting content so we do not feel the pain of changing the way we think.

So the interesting question we pose is what are we changing from and what are we changing to.

Typology Central is like a chrysalis consisting of conflicting opinions and narcissism while we are waiting to emerge from our chrysalis of Typology Central as something new.

This numbing effect is effectively an anaesthetic against the painful extension of man which new media inflict.

- Marshall McLuhan.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I use social media to communicate with others, either privately or en masse. I have different audiences for all my different social media, so I know that if I want to get something out to my older friends or friends from church, I'll use Facebook. Things are kind of compartmentalized for me. Daily life and stuff goes on Snapchat (add me @ themightyfetus lol); my best and brightest goes on Instagram; my random thoughts and feelings go on Twitter.

Sharing, caring, current events, and memes. That basically sums it all up.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Facebook is a whirlpool and I'm just trying to hang on to the ledge just so I can keep in touch with my loved ones. It's weird.
I like forums more, definitely.

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I deactivated my Facebook a while ago and it made me noticeably happier and more relaxed.