• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Function Fundamentals!!

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hello! I just want to offer my take on the functions.

Functions
For the sake of acquired the best understanding of the functions, they should be described as focuses or perspectives that an individual holds. The dominant mindset (function) is the main focus that an individual is driven by. As a result, it not about behaviors, but the reason why an individual engages in such. There are four functions that each have two orientations, external and internal. External is simply of the environment and Internal is of the individual. Everybody uses all functions but it's only about the dominant and inferior. Hope the following helps.

Perception

-Perceiving Functions: The functions are in charge of what information is picked up. There are two types of perceiving, Sensing and Intuition. Sensing focuses on what is acquired through the senses. Intuition is a largely unconscious process that looks to "what is not apparent". It must me noted that Sensing is different for actual "sensing or seeing". Everyone sees. Information is gathered through the senses and then given to the cognitive functions. Intuition does not see anything or really care about "what is". It's concerned about the associations that are emitted by the object.

Extroverted Perception (Pe): Se and Ne

Extroverted Sensing (Se): Se is focused on the environmental sensory information that is the most stimulating to the individual. It is focused on the here and now and the engagement within. Many describe Se as being aware of everything in the environment, but this is not true. Anyone can be quite aware of their surroundings, but since Intuition types don't care as much about the "is", it can be seen where the stereotypes come into play. There is often a bias against Sensing as well, particularly Se, noted as being a dumb party-goer. Se brings a sort of practicality with it, using the environment as is.

Se goal: Experience "Let's do this"

Extroverted Intuition (Ne): Like Se, Ne is also focused on the external environment, but is only concerned with the "possibilities". Ne is often tied to brainstorming but this is not the case as such an activity requires rational thought and Intuition is an irrational process. As aforementioned, intuition is largely a unconscious activity. "Possibilities" is a good word for what is sought but I believe "associations" suit it better. Ne wants to acquire more and more associations what are tied to the external world. "Branching out" is a good way to describe it as one insight leads to another then another which Ne likes.

Ne goal: Connection "What if"

Introverted Perception (Pi): Ni and Si

Introverted Intuition (Ni): The meaning of Ni is elusive to many, an to me as well, but I will do my best to describe it. Ni is focused on the associations of the world just like Ne, but Ni would only focus on those that are the most impressionistic. Ni is sometimes described as seeing "symbols". The symbols are just the most impressionistic associations that are acquired through the object. With such, Ni also a knack for insight, this impression providing a kind of foresight to what will happen without apparent evidence.

Ni goal: Meaning "What's behind this"

Introverted Sensing (Si): Since Si is Sensing just like Se, it too is focused on the world. But unlike Se, Si is focused on the subject impression of objects. Si is often tied to memory or the past but this doesn't really capture what Si is really about. Indeed, a Si impression can be linked to the past, but not always. I.e, imagine a campfire. An Se type would focus on the actual physical qualities of the fire (hot, crackling, orange, etc). Si would would state that the fire is comforting, frightening, welcoming, etc. I often hear from Si users on a rainy day that such days seem gloomy. All individuals do this, but this would be Si's main focus.

Si goal: Essence "How I see it"

Judgement

-Judgement Functions: These are functions that are used to "judge" gathered information. Note this is different from making actual decisions, as perceiving functions can have just as much as an influence in such matters. These functions are also called rational functions as they actually rationalize conclusions. Within this group, these functions are divided into two groups, Thinking and Feeling. It must be understood that these titles are somewhat misnomers in that they somewhat skew what they are really about. Thinking does not mean actual "thinking" and Feeling does not mean emotion. Thinking simply focuses categorization or impersonal weighting and "Feeling" focuses on evaluation or worth in matters that logic cannot tell you.

-Extroverted Judgement (Je): Fe and Te

I like to call Extroverted Judgement as the "control grouping" as it has a tendency to reference and exert according to the external environment.

Extroverted Feeling (Fe): It is often said that Fe focuses on harmony, but this is not quite accurate. Fe is simply adherence to the "agreed upon" values of the external environment. In this sense, Fe can cause conflict in the name of asserting such values on the environment. Fe checks external "values" to see what is good/bad, pretty/ugly, and so on. But it should not be mistaken that Fe just agrees to what is externally valued. Fe only adheres to such values if it is deemed "worthy" to the individual.

Fe goal: Unity "Do this together"

Extroverted Thinking (Te): Like Fe, Te references the external environment. However, Te focuses on the "agreed upon" logic. Te strives for objective standardization (I.e, statistics, measurement, etc). To Te, what is "good" is in relation to this standard (more money=good, less cost=good, it's about the cold efficiency).

Te goal: Organization "Strive for order"

-Introverted Judgement (Ji): Ti and Fi

I like to call these functions "compasses" as one "looks inside" for verification

Introverted Thinking: Like Te, Ti is focused on logic, however, its reference point is internal. Ti asks "does this make sense?". It analyzes the gathered information and filters it through an internal system to strive for a decision that makes the most sense to one's understanding. Ti can adopt the standards and drive for efficiency like Te, but Ti is not governed by the external, so it is the final authority to what is logical.

Ti goal: Impersonal analysis "Do what is most logical"

Introverted Feeling: Fi is internally based like Ti, but focuses on evaluation. To Fi, information is evaluated on the basis of "what is valued" to the individual. It is independent of the environment and thus not influenced by it. As a result, this may lead Fi types to strive for "authenticity", even in the face of an environment that holds differing values. Fi is sometimes described as "selfish" , especially by Fe, but this is not so. It can but anyone can.

Fi goal: Actualization "Do what feels right"