• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Istj masking as isfj?

Airseabattle

I hope I posted this in the correct area. I am new so please forgive me If this is in the wrong place. Every online test that I have ever taken, and the one in person MBTI test that I did in University years ago, classified me as an ISTJ. If were to take a test today I am pretty sure I would still come up as an ISTJ but I feel I relate more to an isfj. is it common for certain personality types to either mirror other MBTI types to thrive at work, etc? I can't imagine that all of the test that I have done in the past could have gotten it wrong.

Even as a child, I have been very sympathetic to others and very sensitive. For as long as I can remember, I like to stand up for those who can't defend themselves. Isfj is the defender of course, but I am moved to do it because I find it's the moral and noble thing to do. It's what is right (very istj).

I am emotional but in an odd way. When I think someone is going to hurt me emotionally or I think I am about to get bad news, I immediately try to mentally convince myself before it happens that I'm not going to be sad because I don't really care about the situation or person. So I'm left wondering if I geneuinly ever really cared enough or if I'm just so good at protecting myself that I convinced myself that I didn't care.

I don't have many friends and prefer to do solo activities like read. I only really like doing things with others if the other person is my romantic partner. And even with partners, I tell myself that I don't really need them that much (in case they ever decide to leave). All of this makes me think I'm probably an istj but at the same time, the general consensus is that I have a terrific, warm, open caring personality.

People seem to trust me easily and want to vent to me (even if I barely know the person). I work in customer service and managed to form an impressive clientele because customers tend to think of me as a friend. also, I don't tend to react or outwardly defend myself when being verbally attacked. I actually don't even like to argue, I just smile and nod even when the other is being insulting the point anyone else would've walked off or argued back. I do get angry but I'm passive aggressive and don't show it. So besides being simply odd, I suppose, what would you classify me as?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
More analytical ISFJs do exist (those that are more Ti heavy), but also remember that being a thinker doesn't mean one is emotionless or can't be sensitive. Most ISTJ online descriptions make them sound like robots and most ISFJ descriptions make them sound like moms, so I wouldn't rely on those either. It's best to look at the cognitive functions and whether you relate more to Fe-Ti or Te-Fi.

I absolutely can't type anyone off of a basic intro like this, and I wouldn't claim to be good at typing anyone in general, but I can see you as a more analytical/Ti-heavy ISFJ. I actually have a few friends who tested as ISTJ but they are actually ISFJ, they just aren't super mushy people and are more cautious (they are also enneagram 6s). I myself often test as ISTJ simply because I tend to be more distant emotionally towards the majority of people.

Based on this alone you could also potentially be a part of the 269 (in some order) tritype in the enneagram system.

Airseabattle

More analytical ISFJs do exist (those that are more Ti heavy), but also remember that being a thinker doesn't mean one is emotionless or can't be sensitive. Most ISTJ online descriptions make them sound like robots and most ISFJ descriptions make them sound like moms, so I wouldn't rely on those either. It's best to look at the cognitive functions and whether you relate more to Fe-Ti or Te-Fi.

I absolutely can't type anyone off of a basic intro like this, and I wouldn't claim to be good at typing anyone in general, but I can see you as a more analytical/Ti-heavy ISFJ. I actually have a few friends who tested as ISTJ but they are actually ISFJ, they just aren't super mushy people and are more cautious (they are also enneagram 6s). I myself often test as ISTJ simply because I tend to be more distant emotionally towards the majority of people.

Based on this alone you could also potentially be a part of the 269 (in some order) tritype in the enneagram system.

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I found your post very informative. You talked about stuff I've never even heard of and had to google. It's very impressive and inspired me to learn more about MBTI and the enneagram. I've always had an interest in both just never really put much effort but your post motivates me.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I found your post very informative. You talked about stuff I've never even heard of and had to google. It's very impressive and inspired me to learn more about MBTI and the enneagram. I've always had an interest in both just never really put much effort but your post motivates me.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you ever have any questions. :)

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Even as a child, I have been very sympathetic to others and very sensitive. For as long as I can remember, I like to stand up for those who can't defend themselves. Isfj is the defender of course, but I am moved to do it because I find it's the moral and noble thing to do. It's what is right (very istj).

I found this interesting because it sounds more like Fi than anything else. In fact, most of the Te-users that I know tend to avoid standing up for others because "it's their responsibility" or because it would be detrimental to them in some way. I also never hesitate to stand up for others, and I'm pretty confident that I'm an INFP as I have been typed several times. Have you looked into the INFP or ISFP descriptions?

Airseabattle

I found this interesting because it sounds more like Fi than anything else. In fact, most of the Te-users that I know tend to avoid standing up for others because "it's their responsibility" or because it would be detrimental to them in some way. I also never hesitate to stand up for others, and I'm pretty confident that I'm an INFP as I have been typed several times. Have you looked into the INFP or ISFP descriptions?

Thank you for your reply. In my freshman year of college I tested as an infp. Everytime after, though, I was an istj. I still sort of relate to it except I don't really see the good in people but that could simply because of my life experiences. Despite feeling very wary of others And their motives ( I do feel most people are out for themselves) I do still care for humanity as a whole and want to help the disenfranchised . I also like facts and think situations should be approached from a logical perspective. I think one should avoid making decisions when they're feeling emotional (though often times I have a hard time following that).

I read the isfp description and to an extent also relate to it. It's odd because when I read the istj description, I feel it's so me to a t. Especially when it says they like to follow the rules to a t, can get super absorbed in projects, like to work alone, are motivated by a sense of duty and tend to fall into the doomsday mentality when stressed. That is me. However, I do put value in being kind. I don't go out of my way to make friends and generally like being alone.

I do feel that I am pretty odd. I don't really take an interest in others (I could care less about coworkers personal lives and don't get involved in gossip because I find it uninteresting to focus on their lives and. Ecause I don't want to be involved in drama or work politics) but if I'm forced to deal with people (I.e customers) I do care what they think and genuinely want them to feel like I care. And I genuinely DO care but when they're out of sight they're also out of mind. Unlike my coworkers, I don't become friends with customers. Anyone else like that?