• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Identifying Type by the Top 3 Functions

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I'm thinking that a third function could be listed in the predominant functions of a given type.

In the top 3 of the functions should be one judgement, one perception, one introverted, and one extroverted function.

This is to ensure that the predominant processes are versatile in dealing with information.

e.g. could be

Se Ti Te (ESTP)
Ni Fi Te (INXJ)
Te Ti Ni (XNTJ)

This would allow for a further differentiation of people with the same of the 16 types, as well as loosening the restrictions on function order.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Jayce

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7sx
I'm not sure how this would work with the current system. There would have to be more types. Like you state, with Xs. MY 3 most dominant functions are Ne Ni and Ti. This makes me an XNXX.

I would like some more background theory on this. I'm also not keen on the idea of locked up function stacks, its a good starting point but takes away from the variety. In the end, the system is based on archetypes so it works like so.

While we're at it, why not make it a 3-type? I'm serious. I could be ENTP INFJ ENFP, taking my most dominant function and pairing it with its strongest counterpart, then taking the second strongest function and pairing it with its strongest counterpart. Lastly taking the strongest function again and pairing it with the second best counterpart. Or we could take the 3 best functions and pair them with their counterparts. Then I would read out as ENTP INFJ INTP, which sounds about right also. Make it MBTI-math: add up the most common denominators and we're at INTP, which wouldn't work in the grand scheme of things, so we have to go with the tritype. The first tritype would read out ENFP and mix them up to get XNXP.

We could also try to do only 4 functions (N,S,T,F) and get percentages for those, like in the big five theory. May the discussion ensue! :)

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I'm not sure how this would work with the current system. There would have to be more types. Like you state, with Xs. MY 3 most dominant functions are Ne Ni and Ti. This makes me an XNXX.

I would like some more background theory on this. I'm also not keen on the idea of locked up function stacks, its a good starting point but takes away from the variety. In the end, the system is based on archetypes so it works like so.

While we're at it, why not make it a 3-type? I'm serious. I could be ENTP INFJ ENFP, taking my most dominant function and pairing it with its strongest counterpart, then taking the second strongest function and pairing it with its strongest counterpart. Lastly taking the strongest function again and pairing it with the second best counterpart. Or we could take the 3 best functions and pair them with their counterparts. Then I would read out as ENTP INFJ INTP, which sounds about right also. Make it MBTI-math: add up the most common denominators and we're at INTP, which wouldn't work in the grand scheme of things, so we have to go with the tritype. The first tritype would read out ENFP and mix them up to get XNXP.

We could also try to do only 4 functions (N,S,T,F) and get percentages for those, like in the big five theory. May the discussion ensue! :)

If your dominant 3 functions are Ne, Ni and Ti, then this would make you NTP. P because the predominant extroverted function is perceiving, N and T because there are only N and T functions in the top 3.

As for background theory, it is based on I guess looking past the usual cognitive function model that is used and allowing all, or more, function stackings to be possible. There's still going to be patterns found in what tends to score low or high when something else is*.

And yeah I had considered listing by alternate types! It would all depend on what method you use to type yourself. If you go by cognitive functions, then I think listing them helps, although if you're going by holistic descriptions of types, then listing multiple types would work.

e.g. I'm INFJ, but also similar to INFP, and with some ESTJ traits, and also ENFJ and ISFJ, so I could list these 4 as "secondary types".

This suggests we're not a single type in how we operate, but rather have a primary type as the strongest influence.

For top 4, I think I would be N>F>T=(?)S, introverted. I don't think looking at just N/S/F/T really allows for introvert-extrovert-introvert-extrovert type of function order.

* I think for an N function, S will be low and so on, and for introverted judgement, an extroverted perception function will be higher and so on.