• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reflection and Recognition

Mole

Permabanned
I know you won't believe this but I try not to be contentious.

But it does seem to me that typing yourself is self reflexive.

And in fact typing yourself is not narcissistic. For Narcissus looked into the pond and saw a beautiful youth, but did not know it was himself.

And so the Myth of Narcissus unfolds based on the fact that Narcissus did not know he was looking at his own reflection.

But those who type themselves do know they are looking at their own reflection.

So we are not tragic like Narcissus, merely bathetic like Falstaff.

We see ourselves as tragic when we are, in fact, comic.

So when we look in the mirror of type, we see the face of tragedy when it is the mask of comedy that is staring back at us.

So perhaps we are like Narcissus in that we don't recognize our own reflection.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I would have enjoyed that post much more if it wasn't littered with mythological references and symbolism and had a less didactic tone.

Mole

Permabanned
I would have enjoyed that post much more if it wasn't littered with mythological references and symbolism and had a less didactic tone.

As much as I would like your good opinion, I write primarily for myself in order to see what I am thinking.

I could remove the mythological references and symbolism but that would be castrating myself.

If I were to remove the didactic tone, I would be foreswearing my transcendent purpose.

If I were though to be swayed by you, I would be reduced to the quotidian.

And if I castrated myself, and abandoned my true purpose, and addressed you in a quotidian tone, you still wouldn't like me.

redacted

What the hell are you talking about Victor?

You have something to say about typing yourself. Why not just say it in English?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Yeah, don't listen to Edahn, Victor. I feel like I should have to pay to read half your posts.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Like the rest of you make any sense....I heart Victor.

heart

heart on fire
I know you won't believe this but I try not to be contentious.

But it does seem to me that typing yourself is self reflexive.

And in fact typing yourself is not narcissistic. For Narcissus looked into the pond and saw a beautiful youth, but did not know it was himself.

And so the Myth of Narcissus unfolds based on the fact that Narcissus did not know he was looking at his own reflection.

But those who type themselves do know they are looking at their own reflection.

So we are not tragic like Narcissus, merely bathetic like Falstaff.

We see ourselves as tragic when we are, in fact, comic.

So when we look in the mirror of type, we see the face of tragedy when it is the mask of comedy that is staring back at us.

So perhaps we are like Narcissus in that we don't recognize our own reflection.

Speak for yourself victor, plenty of us see the humor in ourself and our own illusions about self and how hard it is to see ourselves as we truly are and the illusions that ego puts up again and again to befool us...and all of that. It is part of what makes life bearable through humor. Try it. You might like it. :D

If I were to remove the didactic tone, I would be foreswearing my transcendent purpose.

No, you'd just be a lot less insufferable.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
And if I castrated myself, and abandoned my true purpose, and addressed you in a quotidian tone, you still wouldn't like me.

Actually, I never said I didn't like you. I think you're eccentric and true to yourself, and there's a certain comfort I feel around you for that reason. However, when it comes to establishing a dialogue (whether or not you're interested) I find it difficult to engage you when your posts are authored so selfishly.

Mole

Permabanned
What the hell are you talking about Victor?

You have something to say about typing yourself. Why not just say it in English?

I don't type myself. I ask other people to type me. I look to see my reflection in your eyes, not my own.

And I speak the Queen's English while you speak the vulgar dialect foisted on you by the revolutionary lexicographer, Noah Webster.

heart

heart on fire
And I speak the Queen's English while you speak the vulgar dialect foisted on you by the revolutionary lexicographer, Noah Webster.

:newwink: ugh...yeah, yeah, you have the benefit of the high English culture and we're all a burlesque sideshow carnival here in the USA.

Onslow_%28Keeping_Up_Appearances%29.jpg

^ High English culture at it's level best! Just kidding, folks.

Should we get into the changes to the English language around the time of the King James Bible printing? :huh: What's the real true English to be?

Mole

Permabanned
Actually, I never said I didn't like you. I think you're eccentric and true to yourself, and there's a certain comfort I feel around you for that reason. However, when it comes to establishing a dialogue (whether or not you're interested) I find it difficult to engage you when your posts are authored so selfishly.

I do have a very long standing conflict - perhaps a life conflict - in that in being true to myself, I find I am not true to the zeitgeist.

Of course I do like to be accepted - I do like to belong - but ultimately I keep bubbling up from within - and it is a sharp and present pleasure for me to bubble forth on the screen.

Of course I know you want to sympathise with me and you want me to sympathise with you. And in this way, establish a dialog.

But I prefer empathy, which is quite different from sympathy, so I can be true to myself and be in dialogue.

So in the meantime, we limp along, out of synch with each other and not quite knowing why.

Mole

Permabanned
:newwink: ugh...yeah, yeah, you have the benefit of the high English culture and we're all a burlesque sideshow carnival here in the USA.

Onslow_%28Keeping_Up_Appearances%29.jpg

^ High English culture at it's level best! Just kidding, folks.

You constantly seem to miss me with your shots, Heart. I mean you are constantly taking potshots at me and missing.

I figure that if we switched roles and I played the role of Heart taking potshots at Victor, I would hit the bull's eye.

I think I am a very large target like a barn door so I can't figure out why you can't hit me.

At first I thought it was your spite that blinded you to the target. And on second thoughts, I still think it is spite that is blinding you.

I suspect, though, you wouldn't call yourself Heart if you were aware of your spite.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Of course I know you want to sympathise with me and you want me to sympathise with you. And in this way, establish a dialog.

But I prefer empathy, which is quite different from sympathy, so I can be true to myself and be in dialogue.

Eh. I think you prefer that people admire you for being spiritual and strange, while I prefer you get real. I question whether you're really being your uncastrated self, or really experimenting in hopes you'll find out who you are.

Anyway, it's not something I'm interested in discussing, so you can have the last word if you please. Good night.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
*tears arm out of socket trying to hold self onto chair*

heart

heart on fire
I suspect, though, you wouldn't call yourself Heart if you were aware of your spite.

A heart doesn't only feel positive emotions. I am not afraid of negative emotions (even my own) or the negative side of life. I've never claimed to be free from negative emotions. The head thinks and the heart feels, sometimes the head thinks through the heart but that doesn't mean a person would be free from spite or any other emotion in the human spectrum. Your premise here in taking issue with my screen name is odd.