• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

E vs I and Hormones

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
"There is no arguing against the fact that hormones control personality."

Precisely correct.

External factors influence, but internal biochemistry is ultimately responsible for personality traits.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Precisely correct.

External factors influence, but internal biochemistry is ultimately responsible for personality traits.

...by the same token, I think the reason why I've been less aggressive since I've been injected with testosterone regularly is that before, I was stupidly aggressive and that aggression was largely due to the frustration I felt with living my life in the wrong gender, both the internal and external effects of that (ie both other people treating me 'wrong' AND just feeling completely confused in my own head). When my new life began, none of that was a problem any more, so I chilled out a whole lot more.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Precisely correct.

What do you speculated triggers the internal biochemical reactions?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I watched this documentary about testosterone and how it affects behavior. Nothing new really, but it got me thinking that many of the traits related to high testosterone are also related to MBTIs extroverted types.

Basically it goes like this. When you are in the womb, your body starts pumping up the testosterone at a certain point. If the level is high, you end up being a boy, if the level is low, you are girl. After this the hormone plays a big role at puberty.

So I'm thinking, could the womb testosterone level be the crucial factor in making you extrovert? Or, are these two things linked in other ways? Are there studies?

If it was so, it wouldn't mean that every introvert is a low testosterone guy, since after you are born your mind already is set to a certain behavior but your bodys testosterone level is affected by your surroundings.

(I'm not too sure how this would work out for a girl, though)

Actually, i don't think this has much to do with it. I have a friend who has recently tested his testosterone level(yesterday I think?), and it was sky-high. And I could never, ever have guessed. He's IXTJ. Very, very introverted. He lives in the flat above me, and I've known him since I didn't have a beard (<14). He's got some real feminine sides. :huh: His apartment looks like an IKEA type example, very vain, removes all body hair all the time (even on his head!). ETC. This is just one example, but I don't really see the correlation between hormones and extroversion/introversion.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
What do you speculated triggers the internal biochemical reactions?

Sorry, Nocaps.

I should have specified that I was referring to inborn biochemistry - the webbing that we're created with, as the catalyst for external behavior.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
So... we agree they make the personality but don't have any idea how?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Speak for yourself, nolla.

TheLastMohican

MBTI Type
ENTJ
When you are in the womb, your body starts pumping up the testosterone at a certain point. If the level is high, you end up being a boy, if the level is low, you are girl.

Isn't sex determined by the DNA of the sperm? I thought you are either male or female according to your chromosomes starting at conception.