• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Looks and MBTI?

AttentionToDetail

I know that by the looks of it, it seems like a pretty stupid subject to touch on because "Looks and personality are not attached in any way"

I was hoping this to be a discussion about tendencies and hypothetical "statistics". Not meaning that given the looks of child it will have x personality. Definitely not that.

So what I was thinking was this:

We know that whether we are not sure when type is developed, we are sure that we aren't BORN with it. It's most likely developed during childhood, responding to external stimulation, how we process them and how we respond to them, plus it depends of a lot of different factors.

Probably we can change a auxiliary function subconciously depending of how the rest of our life develops. I could be wrong on this one.

I was thinking looks is one of those factors, actually a pretty relevant one.

A good looking child is gonna be given a different kind of attention throught his life than an ugly one. (not saying noone would care about an ugly one, because its a dumb thing to say, but the atenttion given by lets say, a pretty superficial girl, a pragmatic enterprise or bullies will be different between the both kids, and this will play a factor in both of them psychologically)

People are superficial. Even the people that think they would treat a person the same no matter their looks, or people that care about something deeper (I know I do) are still, gonna treat people differently at some extent because of this, that's pretty much how we naturally respond to them. No matter how try (or not) to supress that instinct, looks are still one of the factors that play a role in how we judge a person. With some people we can REALLY tell the difference when they are treating someone differently depending on looks and with some people we can barely tell. But the judgement factor it's still on all of us in my opinion.

So I would think that good looking people that get treated attentively TEND (that is the key word here, there are tons of exceptions) to respond to this attention by subconciously developing a certain function.

I believe our personality depends on the outcome of the two factors that are The circumstances surrounding us and The way we respond to these circumstances.
The circumstances surrounding us TEND to shift our behavior, and the way we respond to these circumstances can overcome this tendency. But I believe in most cases, these circumstances win the battle.

Of course each good looking child gets treated differently so lets imagine two specific situations (these two situations are pretty much stereotypes sorry about that, I know that both good-looking and ugly ones don't all get treated like this, probably around %30 of them do. Maybe?)

Do you think a good looking child that gets treated really well by parents who constantly remind him/her who pretty he/she is, grows to be (superficially, because you know, they're kids and very few would care about something deeper) popular at school, doesn't get bullied could potentially lead a child to develop x function/s? Which one/s?

Do you think a ugly child that gets treated well at home, but gets negative feedback from the opposite sex school (or whatever gender he/she is attracted to), is not particularly popular, and gets bullied could lead him/her to develop x function/s? Which one/s?

(I absolutely hate doing these extreme stereotypes but I need hypothetical specifics so we can have something to discuss about)

Thanks for reading, sorry for the long post... (I wish I could give you a potato but, you know, this isn't 9gag)

PS. What other factors would you think that help developing 'x' cognitive function?

(Sorry for mispelling, English is not my first language)

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Good looking" people are not usually treated better.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
"Good looking" people are not usually treated better.

Actually, from what I recall, they even tend to get lighter prison sentences.

I doubt it would be so significant as to change someone's function development. It just doesn't seem to fit. People could develop a different function based on what their environment values (or is missing), but just overall being treated differently? It would certainly effect the use of someone's functions, but type is a pretty big thing. It's debatable whether it can change at all, and if it can it's probably difficult.

But let's see... I'm INFJ but sometimes seem more INFP. Maybe if I was treated a particular way for a long time I would have developed the INFP function order more strongly. Maybe treating someone better is more likely to result in their functions aligning with your own (which is not, of course, to say that parents with a child with a very different type must have mistreated them or something).

Soooo it would impact somewhat type development, but I don't think it's all that much. I think rather certain types are more likely to pay more attention to their appearance.