• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Correlation of Physical Energy Level with MBTI Type

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hello,

I have read a lot about the various personality types and functions...and one thing I keep seeing is a claim that high Se users have overall more physical energy. They can't sit still, need to keep moving, get bored quickly, etc.

While I can see this maybe more so for Se dominant... I definitely don't see this in myself with Se auxillary. I use Se, but not necessarily always in a physically active way. I think I try to engage Se in ways that preserve as much energy as possible.

I have never really had a high energy level, even as a kid. I like to conserve my energy because I usually don't feel like I have enough of it. I never had trouble sitting still in school, and I really didn't get bored easily. I could find some way to amuse myself, and it wasn't always a very physically active way. I'm even less active than an INFP I know, but I'm also a self-preservation subtype...so that could be a little part of it.

Can you tell me what your experiences are in relation to energy level and type? Do they seem correlated to you?

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I am extremely high energy. It is a very notable trait of mine. Yesterday, at DECA regional competition, the guy announcing the awards even commented on how he has never met someone as excited as me. (I won 2nd place in Marketing Communications, btw ;D) This has been a thing for me ever since I was a kid. I'm really only tired when I am feeling emotionally drained or rejected. Otherwise I'm a blinding burst of READY.

An interesting contrast, I am athletically challenged. I can catch anything you throw at me, but I can't run very far or very fast.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hello,

I have read a lot about the various personality types and functions...and one thing I keep seeing is a claim that high Se users have overall more physical energy. They can't sit still, need to keep moving, get bored quickly, etc.

While I can see this maybe more so for Se dominant... I definitely don't see this in myself with Se auxillary. I use Se, but not necessarily always in a physically active way. I think I try to engage Se in ways that preserve as much energy as possible.

I have never really had a high energy level, even as a kid. I like to conserve my energy because I usually don't feel like I have enough of it. I never had trouble sitting still in school, and I really didn't get bored easily. I could find some way to amuse myself, and it wasn't always a very physically active way. I'm even less active than an INFP I know, but I'm also a self-preservation subtype...so that could be a little part of it.

Can you tell me what your experiences are in relation to energy level and type? Do they seem correlated to you?

I have a very overwhelming amount of energy verbally as I am constantly talking and dominating conversations but physically I have no energy. Bascially I am one of those loudspeaker thingies on the walls that non-stop talks but doesn't move.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I have motivation and drive due to being an e8, I need recharge time due to being an INTJ. So I would say it's a moderate energy level and I do conserve my energy at times.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
but I'm also a self-preservation subtype...so that could be a little part of it.

I think you answered your own question.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not high energy at all in terms of how I engage with people. I think I come across as extremely calm and even keeled overall (bordering on dull). If I'm excited about something or making ranting type commentary, I can talk pretty fast and come across much more animated. But tbh I think overall I come cross as very calm/unaffected.

I can be super high energy though with more purely physical things, like hiking or when I'm exploring, or super ancy to get out and DO something. So, I can definitely get pretty bored and stir crazy if home too long, and can be impatient and super high energy when traveling, for example.

otoh I spend quite a lot of time relaxing on the couch too, :smile:

It's all a balance.

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
One of the things I relate the most to Ne's descriptions is energy levels. I definitely work in bursts. I can feel too tired to do anything for weeks and do every thing I procrastinated in a single night, while I feel extremely focused. I'm a pendulum constantly swinging between "too relaxed" and "too energetic".

Yeah, this is how I operate too. I waste so much time not doing what I am supposed to do, then I can get so much done right before it has to be due. At work I work in bursts mostly. But it's a struggle to maintain constant methodical work.

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sometimes I wonder how much this lack of energy is because I'm fulfilling my sensory/interaction needs through digital media of some form or another. I've tried to limit myself since it feels like an addiction. In my early life...we didn't have computers, but tv and video games were always unlimited and so much more fun than doing anything.
But then again...I'd often rather read then play outside too...so... maybe that theory doesn't hold water.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I am definitely a "sprinter" both cognitively and physically. I run short bursts, fast, but I burn out quicker than others too. I've learned to work with this pitfall over time, and I can't just pace myself, I don't work that way, but growing up, it was really difficult for me to last throughout the day with sustained energy at school. Then at night I'd get this burst of energy again. I feel like I literally have a sprint/off switch in my biology.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm a lazy fuck and I wear out very fast

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've noticed that Pe-doms seem to have the most physical energy out of the types. As for myself, I suffer from constant fatigue and don't move very much (I frequently spend the entire day sitting in front of my computer). I have a bit more energy when it comes to working on projects of mine, but even there, I can be lazy sometimes. Of note: I once spent an entire year doing little else but lying in bed.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm a lazy fuck and I wear out very fast

Like I tell my ISTJ sis in law on hikes, just ignore your body, you aren't really that sore, you aren't really that tired. I'm kidding, she'd kill me if I said that to her. But that's what I'm thinking, "you complain too much". Mind over matter. Too bad I haven't come up with a solution yet to my sprinter's disease, other than 6 cups of coffee a day on average to sustain that energy.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've noticed that Pe-doms seem to have the most physical energy out of the types. As for myself, I suffer from constant fatigue and don't move very much (I frequently spend the entire day sitting in front of my computer). I have a bit more energy when it comes to working on projects of mine, but even there, I can be lazy sometimes. Of note: I once spent an entire year doing little else but lying in bed.

Seems accurate to me. Perceivers in general tend to have more energy than judgers. Even IxxP can be quite hyper and energetic.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am usually pretty comatose most of the time, and have even wondered if I have a little bit of narcolepsy which is very mild. Of course, I'm also diagnosed with treatment restistant depression and treatment resistant ADD-PI, so I am daydreaming most of the time anyway about harrowing and dreadful possible futures (which more often than not come to pass, but am pleasantly surprised to find my visions were incorrect sometimes.)

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Seems accurate to me. Perceivers in general tend to have more energy than judgers. Even IxxP can be quite hyper and energetic.
It's funny because I've had the opposite experience...but then again, I'm far down on the low-energy scale, so most people will seem more energetic in comparison. Maybe I need to be around more NJ's to see if there's a difference.

I've often felt quite inadequate compared to judgers. They seemed to be the mom's after home-school co-op could go home and clean and cook dinner. Meanwhile I'm trying to recover from all the social interaction by vegging out on the internet. I might order a pizza because I'm too exhausted to cook.

My mom (isfj) will wake up, have maybe a cup or two of coffee, get her makeup on and dressed, then gets dinner laid out or cooking in the crockpot, and does the errands that she needs to do. She's even being treated for a heart condition and low-thyroid!

I drink my first pot of coffee in the morning while getting the kids ready for school. After the kids leave I'll make another smaller pot just to give myself some more energy.

I think about dinner around 3:30 pm that day... and I put off doing any errands until I can't anymore. Seems like all the J's I know are better at doing things than me.
The only time I'm more hyper or energetic is when an awesome song comes on and I'm in a silly mood. Playing somehow I have more energy for. Lol

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It's funny because I've had the opposite experience...but then again, I'm far down on the low-energy scale, so most people will seem more energetic in comparison. Maybe I need to be around more NJ's to see if there's a difference.

I've often felt quite inadequate compared to judgers. They seemed to be the mom's after home-school co-op could go home and clean and cook dinner. Meanwhile I'm trying to recover from all the social interaction by vegging out on the internet. I might order a pizza because I'm too exhausted to cook.

My mom (isfj) will wake up, have maybe a cup or two of coffee, get her makeup on and dressed, then gets dinner laid out or cooking in the crockpot, and does the errands that she needs to do. She's even being treated for a heart condition and low-thyroid!

I drink my first pot of coffee in the morning while getting the kids ready for school. After the kids leave I'll make another smaller pot just to give myself some more energy.

I think about dinner around 3:30 pm that day... and I put off doing any errands until I can't anymore. Seems like all the J's I know are better at doing things than me.
The only time I'm more hyper or energetic is when an awesome song comes on and I'm in a silly mood. Playing somehow I have more energy for. Lol

Actually id say Js have more energy doing chores and work while P types have more energy in terms of leisure and casually hanging out myself. This makes sense from a function stand point.

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually id say Js have more energy doing chores and work while P types have more energy in terms of leisure and casually hanging out myself. This makes sense from a function stand point.

I would agree with that ;)

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Like I tell my ISTJ sis in law on hikes, just ignore your body, you aren't really that sore, you aren't really that tired. I'm kidding, she'd kill me if I said that to her. But that's what I'm thinking, "you complain too much". Mind over matter. Too bad I haven't come up with a solution yet to my sprinter's disease, other than 6 cups of coffee a day on average to sustain that energy.

Haha. You will never convince an SJ to not complain. And you can't trick us into not feeling tired! :p

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Maybe it's because I'm a Pi dom but I relate more to the second one there. :laugh:

OneLovelyAdventure

Gryffindor Prefect
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFP here!

I am remarkably energetic if I am with fun people or if I'm alone working on a task/project that I care about (generally either working out/listening to music combo, singing, or fiction-writing.) If I'm alone or with boring people or doing something I don't much care for, you won't find a less energetic person at all.

(A side note: due to a medication I have been taking for almost my whole life, I require a pretty heavy chunk more sleep than most people and on the whole tend to fall on the low-energy side of the spectrum if I don't get about 10 hours, which due to being a busy college student almost never happens.)