• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The order of your functions

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i don't just mean the 4 you get in the literature in your type, i mean the other 4 as well. i've been trying to figure out if we can formulate a general rule for all 8 functions for particular types, so if you will, post your order of the 8 functions (loosely). mine's something like Ne, Fi, Fe, Ni, Ti, Se, Te, Si.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ni, Ti, Fi, Ne, Te, Se, Si, Fe.

Yes, I know. I can't help being deeply introverted.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
After discussing and arguing the precise function order with Wildcat for about 3 months solid came to a conclusion. The four functions stated are stated because they are the most prominent in that type. I think that the other four functions aren't commonly in the same order of preference and so are left out for clarity.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Doh!

You forgot that part. :D
Ah, choir days

Doh-Ti-La-So-Fa-Me-Re-Doh.

Ah, I sang in the choir too...I nearly forgot about that. I used to get so lost in my mind and thoughts while singing.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Ah, I sang in the choir too...I nearly forgot about that. I used to get so lost in my mind and thoughts while singing.
That's one of the best parts.
Alto, soprano?

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
That's one of the best parts.
Alto, soprano?

Oh goodness, can I remember....I wasn't in the middle of the choir, closer to the side....uhm, I think it was alto, but not the very deep alto.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
After discussing and arguing the precise function order with Wildcat for about 3 months solid came to a conclusion. The four functions stated are stated because they are the most prominent in that type. I think that the other four functions aren't commonly in the same order of preference and so are left out for clarity.

Back to the real question in this thread...:hi:

There are experts out there who propose a single order of preference development, especially those who only work with the 8-function model. Beebe for example ties each function to an archetype to indicate how it helps and hinders us.

But I'm with Xander. The first two are, by virtue of how the type codes are defined, your first two functions. Then it can vary by individual.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Back to the real question in this thread...:hi:

There are experts out there who propose a single order of preference development, especially those who only work with the 8-function model. Beebe for example ties each function to an archetype to indicate how it helps and hinders us.

But I'm with Xander. The first two are, by virtue of how the type codes are defined, your first two functions. Then it can vary by individual.

And yet my Fi is greater than my Ne (and I'm an ENFP) :

Fi, Ne, Ti, Se, Fe, Te, Ni, Si

46, 43.2, 39.8, 33.6, 28.3, 19, 16.1, 14.2 respectively.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1

then your an INFP lol

and in that case your functions would be Fi, Ne, Si, Te, Fe, Ni, Se, Ti

not too sure about the last four actually, i tend to not care bout those

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Te Fi N. I don't use other functions! (insert 'serious' emoticon here)

I'm not sure if I use Ni or Ne, but the fact that I'm a bit crazy might mean that I'm Ni dominant.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8

How can this be? I thought the 4-letter code was a short-hand for your top four functions, not a personality in itself apart from that. The E means that your dominant function is extroverted, and the P means your extroverted function is a perception function, which is N. Thus, your dominant function has to be Ne, or else you're INFP, which still doesn't work with the functions you have listed.

Perhaps I don't understand the question. Is the OP in fact asking where these orders came from in the first place, or perhaps why it is they tend to develop that way? I've been thinking about that lately...

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Te Fi N. I don't use other functions! (insert 'serious' emoticon here)

I'm not sure if I use Ni or Ne, but the fact that I'm a bit crazy might mean that I'm Ni dominant.

Your real function use:

Ne > Fi > Te > .... I'll let you sit on the delusion that you don't sense.

You're not a T.
Seriously.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
then your an INFP lol

and in that case your functions would be Fi, Ne, Si, Te, Fe, Ni, Se, Ti

not too sure about the last four actually, i tend to not care bout those

How can this be? I thought the 4-letter code was a short-hand for your top four functions, not a personality in itself apart from that. The E means that your dominant function is extroverted, and the P means your extroverted function is a perception function, which is N. Thus, your dominant function has to be Ne, or else you're INFP, which still doesn't work with the functions you have listed.

Perhaps I don't understand the question. Is the OP in fact asking where these orders came from in the first place, or perhaps why it is they tend to develop that way? I've been thinking about that lately...

Well I mentioned this in the "Cognitive Processes" topic where we took the "functions" test and the test rated me like that. BUT, it also said :

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this
type: ENFP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various
situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and
beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

As you can see it lists Ne as my dominant function.

Eric B said :

But it is decided by the relative strengths of the other functions as well. For instance, Te is above Si and Ti is over Se. Everything else is out of place, but that is probably how that is determined. For me, Ne was above Ti, yet I still came out INTP, because the other functions were in more in an introverted order. And that's very accurate, because Ne does seem the strongest, though the role is still supporting.

Since the test did type me as an ENFP, despite Fi>Ne, it seems how the functions relate to each other also matters.

Negative_

he's just asking people to rank their 8 functions in order of strongest to weakest.

also, a fi > ne > te > si could still mean enfp, as the last is Si - not Te, which is an INFPs inferior. there's a lot of ways to look at it. you could go by just the first two functions (or the first 2 and the inferior, in which case the inferior would decide which of the first 2 was dominant, changing the E/I), all 8, just 4 and one of each 'letter', all 4/8 compared against an archetypal/perfect example of a type, etc.....personally i can't decide between "how should i look at it?" and "look away, it's all bullshit" :D

anyway, using the 8 function test as a starter and critiquing what doesn't seem to fit with my limited understanding of both myself and the functions, i'd say mine are

ti > ne > se > ni > te > fi > si > fe