• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which function is the hardest for you to grasp?

Which function is the hardest for you to grasp (in an application sense)?

• Total voters

á´…eparted

passages
Out of the 8 functions, which function do you have the most difficult time understanding and grasping. I don't mean that in the sense of what it is and what it means in an academic sense, but in more of an application sense. As in, which function seems either alien or foreign and the idea of trying to follow that method/train of thought would be difficult impossible, revolting, or run counter to your MO. Does this function also seem useless to you? Meaning, even if you were to try and operate similar to what it does (I don't mean actually using the function), it wouldn't give you any benefit. Further why is all of this the case for you? I feel like this has the potential to be an illuminating discussion for both individuals and in a broader typology sense.

I'll answer my own thread later. It's 5:30am and I really should go to sleep!

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I voted Ni.

If Ne is the ability to form multiple ideas from one, Ni is the ability to compact multiple ideas into one. In theory, this is a great balance. In application, Ni is sorta fucking useless.

Everything Ne can't do, Si is there to properly balance it out. Ni in a work environment? Useless. xNxJs must have it so bad. Ni is like a useless superpower that only works in specific situations. You're defining trait is that you can draw conclusions...? That totally makes up for your lack of hand-eye coordination. Granted, ENxJs are better off (because they have useful dominant functions), I really want to see an INxJ succeed solely on their own.

Maybe this perception as Ni being useful in strictly theoretical terms comes from my experience with xNxJs irl. A common theme between them all is that they won't do anything. They have all these ideas and plans, but will actually sit on their ass with zero initiative. "I can't do this because this, that, and the third and this is the way it has to be. Nothing on planet earth will allow this to happen so I'll just sit here and not try." (AND YES, ENTJs DO THAT TOO.) They aren't even organized. And normally, xNxP and xNxJ combos don't work well together. ESPECIALLY ENxP and INxJs.

Why is Ni so romanticized??????? I can't think of anything more unattractive than a brooding loser who self-validates their lack of skills with creativity.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I voted Ni.

If Ne is the ability to form multiple ideas from one, Ni is the ability to compact multiple ideas into one. In theory, this is a great balance. In application, Ni is sorta fucking useless.

Everything Ne can't do, Si is there to properly balance it out. Ni in a work environment? Useless. xNxJs must have it so bad. Ni is like a useless superpower that only works in specific situations. You're defining trait is that you can draw conclusions...? That totally makes up for your lack of hand-eye coordination. Granted, ENxJs are better off (because they have useful dominant functions), I really want to see an INxJ succeed solely on their own.

Maybe this perception as Ni being useful in strictly theoretical terms comes from my experience with xNxJs irl. A common theme between them all is that they won't do anything. They have all these ideas and plans, but will actually sit on their ass with zero initiative. "I can't do this because this, that, and the third and this is the way it has to be. Nothing on planet earth will allow this to happen so I'll just sit here and not try." (AND YES, ENTJs DO THAT TOO.) They aren't even organized. And normally, xNxP and xNxJ combos don't work well together. ESPECIALLY ENxP and INxJs.

Why is Ni so romanticized??????? I can't think of anything more unattractive than a brooding loser who self-validates their lack of skills with creativity.

Si balancing Ne from an inferior Si person....lol

Ni useless? Have you met STPs :newwink:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Out of the 8 functions, which function do you have the most difficult time understanding and grasping. I don't mean that in the sense of what it is and what it means in an academic sense, but in more of an application sense. As in, which function seems either alien or foreign and the idea of trying to follow that method/train of thought would be difficult impossible, revolting, or run counter to your MO. Does this function also seem useless to you? Meaning, even if you were to try and operate similar to what it does (I don't mean actually using the function), it wouldn't give you any benefit. Further why is all of this the case for you? I feel like this has the potential to be an illuminating discussion for both individuals and in a broader typology sense.

I'll answer my own thread later. It's 5:30am and I really should go to sleep!

You cant grasp Ne, you have to bounce it.

Check out the song stupid boy by kieth urban, its about Ne :newwink:

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
For me it is a toss between Se and Ni (I chose Se but it was hard to decide). High Se users appear to be those superhuman athletes from my perceptive (Normal people not athletes or anything, ESTPs in particular (The ones I have known) have superhuman reflexes and awareness that I lack (From my perspective they appear to like those characters from cartoons when you punch them they teleport), They can climb buldings and preform tricks with ease while I am struggling to tie my shoelaces, walking into things and nearly getting run over by cars. On the other hand Ni is also strange as they are very stubborn and I don't understand how it works. While I do enjoy the company of Ni users they just view and do things very differently from what I do.

I also find both Fi and Te very alien as well. Te to me appears to be the "red tape" function that gets in the way of my Ti logic (Me and TJ types often clash due to the Ti/Te differences) while Fi is alien to me.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I definitely have trouble figuring out Fe. I can't get too many straight answers aside from the usual stereotypes or superficial understandings of it. They like harmony, they like this and that, but why?? What is happening beneath the surface that is guiding these actions? What propels Fe users? I see how Ti can be the compass for Fe in Ti/Fe users, I get that, but what happens when you flip it? How does Fe guide Ti? I suppose... Wait... I may be answering my own question... I may have it, hold up.

Fe is still the most confusing to me.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I voted Ni.

Ni is still creative and fast. When understanding a theory or system well they know how to go through with it such lightning fast understanding continually building and improving places or people. To those who don't fully comprehend or believe in themselves yeah, Ni can be useless. Although this happens once they submerged with a given field for a bit but then they shoot out further than the rest after the learning barrier has been lifted.

They can write provocative essays, psychology books, or immersive novels? People say Leo Tolstoy was an Ni dom. Carl Jung was an Ni dom. (Some argue Ti). You can be a profound actor like Cate Blanchett because you can understand the essence of a person. You can become really really good at copying people because you understand their nuances so well.
For those musically inclined, revolutionize the music industry. Create calculus? That helped a lot.
Or if you befriend an INFJ you'll have someone who is unlike any other and will be by your side?

The whole not wanting to do anything either sounds like a sibling tired of you or a paranoid person who hates his or her life.

I get along with ENxP's just fine. You're silly.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For me, I seem to understand all of them just fine. I guess maybe Fi on a deep deep level, but then I know what it's like to feel very heavily. Being an empath and a highly sensitive person for one also is fine with me. I mean they judge with values they have, just another frame of reference.

I just don't experience Si. But I understand Si. Idk I read all about the functions so much because I used to be confused who I was MBTI wise I read just about every function.

It makes me wonder if this will just turn into another thread where someone will hate another simply because they don't understand someone else.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ill explain what Ti/Fe is like :). What my thinking process is like as a Ti/Fe type. Basically I have this internal logic compass which similar to Fi acts as my internal compass but with logic instead of values (Ti is more like "What makes most logical sense to me"). Fe comes along and says that Ti is a little meane and needs to behave himself. (How my Fe treats my Ti :nono: you cruel heartless thing. Bascilly Ti is my interior sociopath and Fe the motherly hen keeping it in check). For example I am solving a problem and Ti says that "It would be most logical to bomb x country to save future wars then Fe comes along and says "You will be considered a evil heartless murderer (Just a theoretical example)

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ill explain what Ti/Fe is like :). What my thinking process is like as a Ti/Fe type. Basically I have this internal logic compass which similar to Fi acts as my internal compass but with logic instead of values (Ti is more like "What makes most logical sense to me"). Fe comes along and says that Ti is a little meane and needs to behave himself. (How my Fe treats my Ti :nono: you cruel heartless thing. Bascilly Ti is my interior sociopath and Fe the motherly hen keeping it in check). For example I am solving a problem and Ti says that "It would be most logical to bomb x country to save future wars then Fe comes along and says "You will be considered a evil heartless murderer (Just a theoretical example)

I love how simple yet effective your explanation is. I wish more function explanations were like this. Being able to take some complex theory and reducing it down to a common man speak is a skill not many have.

Now, turning my attention to Fe... Though, I think the way I should actually go about this is to learn more about functional duos and seeing the Fe identity through its relationships to other functions, rather than trying to understand it alone. Functions don't work that way anyways, so it makes sense.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One of the hardest functions for me to understand is my own leading function. There is not really any logic to how Ni works. It's kind of like magic.

I also have a little trouble understanding Ne. I don't see the external world as a web of connections so much as I see it as a swath of concrete, more or less immediate imagery.

sarcasmsunshine said:
I don't have a lack of skills with creativity. Quite the opposite, I'm one of the most creative people I've ever known. I paint, I write novels, and I compose music.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
One of the hardest functions for me to understand is my own leading function. There is not really any logic to how Ni works. It's kind of like magic.

I also have a little trouble understanding Ne. I don't see the external world as a web of connections so much as I see it as a swath of concrete, more or less immediate imagery.

I don't have a lack of skills with creativity. Quite the opposite, I'm one of the most creative people I've ever known. I paint, I write novels, and I compose music.

Verrry interesting. You don't see the external world as all interconnected and intertwined? It's bizarre because it's not something I just tell myself or logically agree on, but it's something I wholly feel and experience. Well I guess that shuts the door on any possibility of me being an NFJ :p

I think this thread and others like it will be very interesting to follow. It exposes HOW people do not understand other functions, and exposes how function preference can almost put blinders on those people from seeing the opposing functions or any others entirely, simply by the fact that they don't use it on the regular. I'm sure we'll uncover some other patterns and trends as well :happy2:

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Enthusiastic_Dreamer said:
You don't see the external world as all interconnected and intertwined?
No, not really. What sense of connections in the external world I do have is more rooted in Ti than Ne. For example, I might notice something like how moving an object in a collection of objects affects the whole group's overriding structure.

Enthusiastic_Dreamer said:
Well I guess that shuts the door on any possibility of me being an NFJ :p
I don't know that I'm a typical NFJ when it comes to how I perceive the external world, so I wouldn't shut that door just yet.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As in, which function seems either alien or foreign and the idea of trying to follow that method/train of thought would be difficult impossible, revolting, or run counter to your MO. Does this function also seem useless to you? Meaning, even if you were to try and operate similar to what it does (I don't mean actually using the function), it wouldn't give you any benefit. Further why is all of this the case for you? I feel like this has the potential to be an illuminating discussion for both individuals and in a broader typology sense.

i have read through several different definitions (just now) trying to find one to pick apart... afterwords i realized that i try to do all of these things, though some take longer and/or seem harder, none are withought use... also none of them seem entirely impossible, and given enough time to work on a "problem" i will dip a toe into each of these viewpoints...

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
No, not really. What sense of connections in the external world I do have is more rooted in Ti than Ne. For example, I might notice something like how moving an object in a collection of objects affects the whole group's overriding structure.

I don't know that I'm a typical NFJ when it comes to how I perceive the external world, so I wouldn't shut that door just yet.

Ahh I see. So you see the connections more mechanically then? It's fascinating to me because the connections between things are much more of a feeling to me, whereas the connections between things, on a more direct, mechanical way, can be done, but I have to specifically get into that frame of mind. When I do, it's very narrowed in too and I can start to lose the big picture. You can probably guess that I don't venture into this area often at all, but it provides SO much information when I need it.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I definitely have trouble figuring out Fe. I can't get too many straight answers aside from the usual stereotypes or superficial understandings of it. They like harmony, they like this and that, but why?? What is happening beneath the surface that is guiding these actions? What propels Fe users? I see how Ti can be the compass for Fe in Ti/Fe users, I get that, but what happens when you flip it? How does Fe guide Ti? I suppose... Wait... I may be answering my own question... I may have it, hold up.

Fe is still the most confusing to me.

Because it works...thats why. Just like Te...because it works. The why is not relevant.

- - - Updated - - -

Si, what the heck is it?

That thing chasing you everyday of your life that you run from.

erg

MBTI Type
None
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
None, I understand them all. But I am unable to produce Si (my PoLR in socionics).

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
None, I understand them all. But I am unable to produce Si (my PoLR in socionics).

Do you really ;). The guy in your avatar has gone mad and suicidal over the sheer overwhelming of all those functions :D

(On a more serious note do you really? I find it hard to believe but I've known stranger things)