123 Last

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    974 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Default Should Ne even be considered an "Intuition"?

Remove what you know of Jung's definitions and remove what you know of any personality systems that define what Ne is. What I see as Ne isn't necessarily as having intuition (in mainstream terms) but rather, a creative thought process. A creativity that allows it's users to put disparate things together to create, to understand, and to see what isn't there. Unlike Ni or mainstream intuition, which I do see Ni as the direct translation to in a Typological sense, I don't see Ne as this "gift" or anything all that special. Perhaps some people are born with such a way to understand the world, but as I've always told people that ask me how they can become more creative, I tell them to stop placing judgement on all their thoughts, no matter how crazy it may seem, question everything, question the status quo, and further, ask yourself, "why not?". For as long as I can remember, I've always enjoyed creating. Always got the latest and greatest art sets from my relatives as gifts. I never asked for it, they just saw something in me that I didn't see in myself. So what, I'm a creative, but I don't really consider myself as having an "intuition". What my dad and brother posess (they're both NTJs) feel like true intuition to me. Again, here, I am defining intuition in the mainstream, general understanding of it, not intuition as understood in the Myers Briggs or Socionics.

So what do you think? Should Ne be considered as a true source of intuition or were Myers and Briggs, and Jung tapping into a trait or set of traits we commonly associate with highly creative people?
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

~Always, an Enthusiastic_Dreamer

Permabanned
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

lol Ni is definitely not mainstream intuition
    I could see how that is mistaken. If anything being mainstream intuition that should be Fi.

Ne is certainly intuition, how many inventors were Ne dom types? They were geniuses in their own respect.

Ni doms are seen as system improvers whereas Ne is the creator.

Did my Ni definition blow you away too much? ;.;

Bismuths Darling Prince Amethyst Archon's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    974 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEE None

Ne is intuition in a way. As a Ne user I do have what most people would consider a sense of intuition about things. For instance I was able to see a surprise birthday party coming before I was told about it as I could pick something up going on behind the scenes so to speak. Paradoxically sensing functions can be what most people would consider "intuitive". For instance my ISFJ mother could tell that a woman was pregnant before the pregnant woman even knew as she just looked different and picked up on subtle behaviour changes (Si-Fe). I think that any function can be intuitive in its own way.
    Pisces Sun-Libra Moon-Libra Rising

Bismuths one and only Munchkin
    Likes erg, Dreamer liked this post

deleted

I tend to view intuition or "instinct" as more of an extroverted process personally. You're active and aware of things, processing outside information. I don't actually see any MBTI functions as inherently intuitive in the literal sense, Ne and Ni are just good at simplifying information down to its essentials and main purpose ie. the forest for the trees, and do so based on personal experience. With N, you get the general point without having to hear any details, because its nature is to step back and view things as a whole. It wants to reach the essence, or point of something for utilization, and so it is more of a quick gradual operation than a truly immediate instinct or 'knowing.'

But Ne does this with extroverted information while Ni doesn't: Ne is picking up on things happening in the actual moment, reading cues, reacting to the situation, seeing things. Any extroverted process is more likely to be intuitive and instinctive than Ni where you're just inward reflecting on information and concepts. This stems from a misunderstanding about Ne. With introverted processes, there's never an incentive for being intuitive, because they don't get to deal with immediate outside consequences in the first place, they're dealing with inward-verted information that's reflective and deep-down in thought, and thus impractical for Ni to do anything more remarkably instinctive than say for example, day-dream a relevant anecdote and insightfully apply it to their life.

I think OP, maybe people are seeing Ne wrong? due to P stereotypes it doesn't come to revelations? Ni and Ne are both equal in their ability to discern, and as they're both equally P functions, not one is more straightforward and certain. They're the same function applied to opposite realms of information.
    Likes Dreamer liked this post

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Ne is creative so far as fish swim.
    tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers
    and you want to take her with you, to the hard land of the winter

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Yeah, intuition is usually couched as some sort of instinctual insight or "gut feeling." Pick up a business magazine, and you'll find them working from that one. More generally, though, it is about gathering information that isn't really "there." The former's obviously Ni territory; the latter covers both.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Intuition is a misnomer along with Feeling and (arguably) Thinking.
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes Dreamer liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

It's definitely an intuition.

Source: xSFx

deleted

Default What N really is

Deduction and induction are really the perfect terms to describe the Intuition and Sensation preference in MBTI.

This is because N in MBTI is the process of starting with a generated idea, then being able to spot all the patterns which confirm or refute this idea. It skips the details and makes a leap. The leap isn't the answer, this is the big misunderstanding people always make. The leap is what it's looking for to find the answer, the cues it needs in order to then say, "aha, then this is right!" Thereby N comes to insightful and accurate perspectives if it can find enough patterns fitting it. Some of these perspectives can sometimes be incredibly more novel than S's because they make creative leaps to what the big picture might be, similar to dreaming new combinations, it comes up with new ideas to test, but these perspectives most usually will be hit-and-miss. This appearance of intuition begins with the quality that it can quickly and easily connect to many things, thereby coming to interesting specific conclusions and generalizations.

What you should understand about this N is it doesn't work like Sensing, where conclusions consistently break bits of ground at a time, based on a slow integration or evolution of observing detailed information and facts. S's conclusions take longer to form and aren't as plenty as N's, because they consider and process sensory information. Intuition works immediately from idea generation and assumes a practice of speculative experimentation, while Sensing makes steady progress fact-by-fact.. S works the opposite way by taking in all the details and slowly adding these up to general conclusions that encompass a lot more implication, meaning, and forward advancement. N doesn't break forward consistently, but leaps around trying to make distinct nodes of progress, only on the occasion making a big find. Ns look forward to making a revolutionary find from a spark of ideation it finds interesting, we don't know by what mechanism this idea comes from, but this is the process Ns involve with for generating content nonetheless.

Real instinct on the other hand is more of an Xe thing. Xi doesn't need true instinct, because all Xi functions do are reflect away from external situations.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

You generally have to decide, whether you believe in the philosophical principle of induction or deduction. Deduction means that you derive new ideas from the combination of existing ideas, while induction means you derive ideas by something like godly intervention. Most serious philosophers and scientists dont believe in induction, cause the whole science and all its inventions were basically a very deductive thing. One build on another. Even if you look at the historical background of great inventors like Einstein, you will see that he basically combined knowledge that was made in the times, to derive or deduct new knowledge.

So the basic concept of intuition, at least thats what the word means in German, says that you "have a strong feeling" about something. That tho has nothing to do with the abstract awareness that mbti means when talking about intuition. In concept extroverted intuition has a more objective awareness, lesser concentrated on the ego of a person but more on its surroundings. A more impersonal intuition. While Ni means a subjective intuition, where new ideas are deduced or synthesized from a very subjective and personal awareness.

So the former one Ne is the better brainstormer, cause its easier for others to grasp what he is talking about; while the latter on the Ni is the artist, who gives creation from a personal deductive reference system.

In induction I dont believe, that's too religious for me.