User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Default How Mistypes Have Warped The Descriptions Of Each iNtuitive MBTI Type

How Mistypes Have Warped The Descriptions Of Each iNtuitive MBTI Type

Pretty good insights on how descriptions get botched and confused because types get botched and confused. (I'm sure the problem's cyclical.) And it's not all "Lots of S's are mistyped as N's; they fuck up our descriptions just as S's are prone to fuck up everything" either, which is refreshing.

My biggest takeaway was that say, an ENxP may mistype as an INxP if they're not typically extroverted because of the influence of ES descriptions.
    Because the ESFP is an extroverted sensing-dominant type, ESFPs who believe themselves to be ENFPs tend to portray the ENFP as a much more extroverted and engaged type than the ENFP actually is. Whereas the ESFP is tuned into his or her environment at all times and is incredibly extroverted in nature, the true ENFP is quite often mentally checked out of his or her environment and is significantly less social than the ESFP.

[...]

In fact, most true ENTPs strongly believe themselves to be introverts because they are more interested in the world of ideas and invention than they are in the world that physically surrounds them.

[...]

Almost every true ENTP out there has considered themselves to be an introvert at some point in time. ENTPs lead with extroverted intuition, a function that gains energy through the exploration of external ideas, but not necessarily through direct socialization.
    Thoughts? Is it bullshit or spot-on? Have you ever mistyped yourself as per these lists and for the reasons given?
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

deleted

I agree with the concept of the article, cognitive functions are the way to type, but all in all I don't agree with its premise that some of the functions are accurately defined, based on experience with JCF and its revolutions:

A couple examples:

(A) "The ENTP certainly does search for logical consistency – and they place a large emphasis on it – but the ENTP is more interested in supporting their latest scheme or entrepreneurial venture with the logic at hand than they are in seeking it logic out for the sake of purely knowing it."
    - This is moreso describing the ENTJ by a hair, in my experience, in fact this is a decent simplified description of a mode of Te. On the flipside, the ENTP is the one more concerned with "seeking out logic for the sake of purely knowing," Ti, but is simply that this is not the ENTP's primary program (which is intuition of the object - Ne.)

(B) "Because INTPs and ENTPs are introverted thinking types, they are searching for indisputable and verifiable truths above all else. On the flip side, INTJs are introverted intuitives first and foremost, which means that they are much more concerned with determining how the future is likely to play out than they are with examining the reality of their present."
    - This is simply a misunderstanding of Ni and Ti, an oversimplification of the difference between intuition and logic. I can expound here if need be, but to say a type often so passionate about philosophy and scientific theory as the INJ is not contingent on essential truth, comes down to a value in searching for truth vs determining future events being no difference of cognitive program, but a generic preferential focus. Every function individually is concerned with verifiable truth, and Ni and Ne are concerned with the underlying nature of things, Ti and Te with their workings and rationale, Xi and Xe cater mentally to very contrasting realms of applicable qualia. If there is confusion here, begin with reviewing Carl Jung on the nature of Object vs Subject (E vs I.) The very reason the simplified purpose of future events is put forth for Ni is due to the decisive nature of the J preference implying it must stand apart. Stereotypical Ni has not a definition which subjugates the J preference, which it should, as a heightened J preference is the basis of the very corresponding error of seclusion. Speak with many Ni doms in typological discussion and you'll hear the issue.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Oh my! Based on that article, I think I follow the INFP narrative than the INFJ one. I am definitely more intensely emotional than I am intellectual.
    This is interesting. I kind of hate how they muddy the waters with certain things, though, like the planning aspect; whenever I think of the long-term, it's about how I can make my life as well the lives of others better in some way or form. This is why I'm such a fan of the self-help branch of psychology. I always want to develop into a much better person, whether it comes down to money, self-image, how to help others out better, mastering something in my spare time, and so on. I am not very ambitious in the traditional sense, though. Hmm!

Nice find, @Bush Did 9/11
    Have we got what it takes to advance?
    Have we peaked too soon?
    If the world is so great,
    Then why does it scream under a blue moon?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Did 9/11 View Post
    Thoughts? Is it bullshit or spot-on? Have you ever mistyped yourself as per these lists and for the reasons given?
    Really great article. Thank you for sharing this.

When I first joined I was still trying to decide between ENTP and ENTJ. I had typed as ENTP when I was younger but in college began to consistently type as ENTJ. I was doing a lot more execution-oriented, leadership roles and it strengthen my preference for Te.

That said, any discussion of MBTI should always have the caveat that type is a matter of best fit rather than gospel truth. I know in my own functional stack, I prefer Ti just slightly less than I prefer Te, and behind that Ne slightly less than Ni. The two biggest determiners for me of ENTJ>ENTP have always been that Fe and Si are very foreign to me. Also, other ENTJ tend to resonate with me more than ENTPs I've encountered. I have a wide range of interests (probably due to the 7 wing and 7 fix), but my dance card is usually very short in terms of what I'm actually engaging with practically.

Last thought is that I've always felt the "political" aspect of type (i.e., certain types being seen as more prestigious or cool) is hellaciously counterproductive. I never entirely understood why anyone would want to be intuitive if they weren't. Especially when in the real world, we're not exactly the kind of people most people like or necessarily relate to. It's just a very strange inversion to me.
    Likes Dyslexxie, SearchingforPeace liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Lots of S's are mistyped as N's; they fuck up our descriptions just as S's are prone to fuck up everything
    Likes Dyslexxie, ChocolateMoose123 liked this post

Priebe fails to realize there are people who enjoy both the conceptualization and execution of an idea. MBTI types read as extremes to me.
    Joevember 3, 2020

Likes Yama, Wind Up Rex, HongDou, ceecee liked this post

Very interesting read.

In my anecdotal experience with ENTPs, I have found that they more often than not identify as introverts simply because, "I just really hate most people."
    Likes Dyslexxie liked this post

musical incel Tactical Turtleneck's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

RCOAI 9w8 sp/sx INTP

Anarchocapitalists aren’t anarchists; they’re capitalists opposed to regulatory oversight. In case you were wondering.

MBTI
    yupp

I just sent that article to my friend who types himself ENFP because the part about why ESFPs mistyping as ENFP is him exactly. he's an ESFP 4w3 which i can see that combo can be mistaken for ENFP if looking at stereotypes
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so :hi:
    Likes Yama liked this post

musical incel Tactical Turtleneck's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I can do about 140 a minute but if I go slower then I usually avoid mistypes.
    RCOAI 9w8 sp/sx INTP

Anarchocapitalists aren’t anarchists; they’re capitalists opposed to regulatory oversight. In case you were wondering.