User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    IME it has to fit significantly better than all the other possibilities. I found that, for me, the best match stood out like the proverbial sore thumb.
    I fit very well with ENFP, but there will be many people who will not fit well in the MBTI system. MBTI is essentially dividing the human race arbitrarily into 16 categories by asking them questions about themselves and grouping those with similar answers. 16 is a high enough number that there is a reasonable amount of similarity between those in the same category. However, you cannot expect a person in any category to have to have any particular trait. They just have to have more traits that fit with that category than any other.

So on the original post, are people actually mistyped in the sense that they don't have more traits that fit with their chosen category than any other? Or are they perceived to be mistyped because they have different traits in that category than other people who you think are in that category?

(P.S. I know this is a typology website, but I think people read too much into MBTI, cognitive functions, etc. It can be fun, but it's good to remember that in terms of treating it as a science, you may as well study astrology. I actually think astrology has more merit because at least it encourages people to learn about the stars.)
    Likes erg liked this post

Bismuths Darling Prince Amethyst Archon's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    974 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEE None

Apart from MBTI there is also enneagram type, big five, sonconics, 4 temperaments e.t.c along with personal and cultural experiences meaning that two people will in probability never have the same exact type. A ISTJ 1w9 phlegmatic for instance will look different from a ISTJ 5w6 melancholic for instance event though using just MBTI they are the same exact type and person. Overall MBTI is a useful tool to categorize people but it should never be used as a standalone tool as someone who sees only 16 diffrent types of people is a very narrowminded person who will fall into many pitfalls treating people as such.
    Pisces Sun-Libra Moon-Libra Rising

Bismuths one and only Munchkin

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I think IXTP descriptions overemphasize Pe, so that can lead to ENTP thinking they are INTP. Just an observation I've made.

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    541 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII None

A lot of Fe dom/aux also misidentify as ExFP, because Fe descriptions are so dreadful at actually explaining anything. Hell, even the ESFP description in that article sounds like it's describing an Fe-user of some kind. An ESFP would not seek the direction of others with regards to Feeling information; they would keep it quite closed and express it through Te instead.

Also, ESTPs are much more likely to mistype as ENTJs than ENTPs are, at least provided they typed via descriptions and not a test. The ENTJ stereotype is more Se than anything else.
    I am exploiting others as guinea pigs to further my understanding of typology.

I'm a Ti-Ne. My MBTI is listed as ENTJ because from dichotomies alone, that's my best fit.
    Likes OrangeAppled liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclepath View Post

Also, ESTPs are much more likely to mistype as ENTJs than ENTPs are, at least provided they typed via descriptions and not a test. The ENTJ stereotype is more Se than anything else.
    Somewhat true, but ExTPs have exactly the same Ti/Fe dynamic in them and often they are e7.

In my opinion ENTJ profiles often match ESTPs or ESTJs much better, in typical ENTJ profiles there is almost no aux Ni and all the stuff that links them to the other NTs.
    Also some of the profiles may actually fit very ambitious Fe doms more than a thinking dominant person. (money, image etc.)
    Likes OrangeAppled liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    541 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    Somewhat true, but ExTPs have exactly the same Ti/Fe dynamic in them and often they are e7.

In my opinion ENTJ profiles often match ESTPs or ESTJs much better, in typical ENTJ profiles there is almost no aux Ni and all the stuff that links them to the other NTs.
    Also some of the profiles may actually fit very ambitious Fe doms more than a thinking dominant person. (money, image etc.)
    Ambition isn't linked to MBTI or Jung in any way. It's a problem you're right to bring up.
    I am exploiting others as guinea pigs to further my understanding of typology.

I'm a Ti-Ne. My MBTI is listed as ENTJ because from dichotomies alone, that's my best fit.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Did 9/11 View Post
    How Mistypes Have Warped The Descriptions Of Each iNtuitive MBTI Type

Pretty good insights on how descriptions get botched and confused because types get botched and confused. (I'm sure the problem's cyclical.) And it's not all "Lots of S's are mistyped as N's; they fuck up our descriptions just as S's are prone to fuck up everything" either, which is refreshing.

My biggest takeaway was that say, an ENxP may mistype as an INxP if they're not typically extroverted because of the influence of ES descriptions.

Thoughts? Is it bullshit or spot-on? Have you ever mistyped yourself as per these lists and for the reasons given?
    I have no respect for anything written by Heidi Priebe since I contacted her to promote this and then she published this without even referencing what I sent her.

As to her article, I can point to a false statement in her first sentence, "The MBTI is an incredibly unreliable assessment tool. As far as Jungian personality types go, it’s much safer to determine one’s type using cognitive functions."

The official MBTI instrument is the most accurate instrument I know of - and I say that having spent some fair amount of time evaluating existing tests that evaluate type based on cognitive function and creating the test on the site here.

Anyway, I wonder where she copied the content from in her article. I doubt she came up with any of that herself.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes HongDou, Starry liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by BlueScreen View Post
    I fit very well with ENFP, but there will be many people who will not fit well in the MBTI system. MBTI is essentially dividing the human race arbitrarily into 16 categories by asking them questions about themselves and grouping those with similar answers. 16 is a high enough number that there is a reasonable amount of similarity between those in the same category. However, you cannot expect a person in any category to have to have any particular trait. They just have to have more traits that fit with that category than any other.

So on the original post, are people actually mistyped in the sense that they don't have more traits that fit with their chosen category than any other? Or are they perceived to be mistyped because they have different traits in that category than other people who you think are in that category?

(P.S. I know this is a typology website, but I think people read too much into MBTI, cognitive functions, etc. It can be fun, but it's good to remember that in terms of treating it as a science, you may as well study astrology. I actually think astrology has more merit because at least it encourages people to learn about the stars.)
    While it is certainly true that some people read too much into typology systems, type divisions are far from arbitrary. Moreover, the system does not so much identify traits as ways of handling information and making decisions. All of this is internal, of course, which means we cannot measure it directly. Those questions on the type tests often ask about behaviors and traits because those are much easier to see. The links between the two are far from perfect, though, which leads to much of the imprecision in typing.

As for your question, there are many reasons for mistyping. Two that are quite common are: (1) answering the questions according to a specific "persona" one adopts for utility, say how one behaves at work, or in a family of dissimilar people who expect you to act like them; and (2) answering the way you wish you were, rather than how you actually are. Yes, there will be a great deal of variation among people who share a given type. This will be most evident in their observable (external) behavior. Any type can behave in any way. It is in why and how they do things that their type becomes more evident. People also have the ability to override their innate preferences, say to do well in a job. If we encounter them in that context, we may very well mistype them. Despite the variations, though, there is enough commonality to discern distinct types, especially when we can witness someone acting on their real preferences.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    None
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

MBTI asseses how a person "appears" based on their behavior, and boxes people in 16 categories. It attempts to provide some explanation for why this is in the form of "cognitive functions", but ultimately fails. In MBTI, there is no correlation between descriptions, supposed functional preferences, and test results, and people attempting to find it will just be running in circles. Everything is botched up. This is why everyone should get into socionics and abandon MBTI. At least this is the conclusion I arrived after looking at MBTI in depth years ago.

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by erg View Post
    MBTI asseses how a person "appears" based on their behavior, and boxes people in 16 categories. It attempts to provide some explanation for why this is in the form of "cognitive functions", but ultimately fails. In MBTI, there is no correlation between descriptions, supposed functional preferences, and test results, and people attempting to find it will just be running in circles. Everything is botched up. This is why everyone should get into socionics and abandon MBTI. At least this is the conclusion I arrived after looking at MBTI in depth years ago.
    (When I read this I immediately thought, is this a NiTe/TeNi? Something about your communication style, perhaps that sense of overall summation of the issue (Ni) via iconoclastic criticism of the norm, and straightforward explanation of the logic, smoothly implementing it into given scenario (Te). I know that doesn't make sense based on one sentence.)

Although I think ultimately, with making commended use of cognitive functions, one shouldn't get wrapped too much into the details of what they specifically do, but understand their fundamental purpose or program. They're each very wide and inclusive spheres of thought, as there are only 8. That's what I mean by approaching function theory in general: to be attuned to your deepest nature and what JCF you really are, instead of attempting to fit pegs of already predetermined descriptions into who you are. It's kind of in this explanation.