• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A question about use of cognitive functions in different types.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I was thinking about how cognitive functions work in different types. For instance i am a (probable INTP) and yet i seem to use more Fe than most xxFPs i know as even though Fe is inferior for me. Likewise would i as a INTP use Si better than any SP or NJ type. In comparison to SP types I have known i seem to use past experience more than they tend to do. I have however heard another theory that the I/E flip of your functions are your shadow functions which means they are just as strong just not valued. According to this theory i would be able to use good use of Te which i can use well at times.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The functions are more about preference rather than ability. Like with your Fe against xxFP types. They both have feeling, F is F, but it is oriented in different directions. FP's don't have Fe in their main stack, while you, an intp, use it more, even being an inferior function. And this is where I become hypocritical (referencing the previous sentence). You can really "use" functions. They're more like lenses, how you see the world. All functions are in action, but what is your modus operandi (makes me sound smart!). Jung said that there are Dom/Inferior functions, but he never really set up a function order, that came later (IIRC). People are fluid in nature so won't really adhere to a strict order. Hope that makes sense.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
That makes perfect sense to me. What you are saying is that everyone has access to the functions but certain types are more inclined to use certain functions. For instance using Te is something I am good at but not natural to me. A bit like using your non-dominant eye or hand so to speak.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That makes perfect sense to me. What you are saying is that everyone has access to the functions but certain types are more inclined to use certain functions. For instance using Te is something I am good at but not natural to me. A bit like using your non-dominant eye or hand so to speak.

Exactly. It's all about what is the most "You".

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

I just recently took the Dario Nandi functions test over in another thread for the first time, and I was surprised to find that my Ti is supposedly stronger than my Te, and that my Se isn't as weak as say, it's "8th" standing within my stack would suggest. I don't know if I believe one theory over another regarding the function use and stacking order, but it is interesting to think of them nonetheless. If anything, I sorta see everyone being typed more by their first and second functions, with all the others just sorta swirling around in the background.

BTW, by the title of this thread, I thought you were interested in comparing functions like Ti in an ENTP vs ESTP or Fi between an INFP vs ISFP. If that thread doesn't exist already, I may start it up.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
That would be a interesting thread to start.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It seems that we use all 8 functions to varying degrees. I relate to Te being an "opposing function" as it is something i can be good at and yet not natural to use.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It seems that we use all 8 functions to varying degrees. I relate to Te being an "opposing function" as it is something i can be good at and yet not natural to use.

Yeah I like the term natural over prefer since it's easier to understand, and prefer makes it easier to mistake it for which function you would like to have.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
By the way which in theory would be better at brainstorming (A stereotypical Ne activity) a SJ or NJ type. Like wise which would be better at organizing themselves (Stereotypical Te) a TP or FP type. These are all things I have wondered about.