• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Seeing our own 'type' in others

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What characteristics or behavior in others leads you to believe you are dealing with someone of your own 'type'?

Are there ways in which 'mind reading' (better implicit understanding of what someone means, less misunderstanding of intentions; see: Theory of mind) happens effortlessly?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is the MBTI version for your question, correct? I accidentally started posting this response in your enneagram thread.

I'll answer the question as an INFJ (although I've debated internally about my type, so here goes)

Other people seem like Ni-doms to me mostly when I sense they have a particularly rich inner world that is attempting to make sense of the whole of reality. People like Carl Sagan focus not just on the structure and nature of the universe, but when reading his writings you see he is constructing the meaning behind the whole of reality. Even controversial figures like David Icke exhaust their mental resources attempting to understand how every pattern converges into a meaningful whole. It doesn't necessarily have to be focused on the universe itself, but the Ni-dom's inner construct of reality is so developed that their external nature tends to be quiet, understated, even bland at times, but they truly live in a parallel universe inside their own minds. Sometimes a Ni-dom will have the fortitude to affect external reality by shaping it somewhat into their inner construct, but I think the primary aspect of Ni is its true nature as a perceiving function, so the majority of Ni-doms are content to ponder the outside world and construct their inner concept of it. It is possible for a Ni-dom to perceive reality with sharp accuracy, distilling it into a more condensed version of core associations into their inner construct. These Ni-doms have insight that is pointed and accurate about external reality. It is also possible for a Ni-dom to construct an inner reality far removed from the external nature of things and so be an individual prone to inaccuracy when dealing with reality. In most cases there are elements of both: moments of pointed insight, and moments of internal subjectivity.

When the Ni-dom also has strong Fe as in the INFJ, I've read so many descriptions that say this means they will tell you what to do, or be socially forceful, reducing Ni to tunnel vision that jumps to intuitive conclusions that must act on reality. I don't think that is the primary nature of it, although it can happen depending on environment, culture, and enneagram type (although the richness of the inner world will still be apparent, which is not in most socially forceful personalities that are entirely invested in the concrete outcomes of their actions and ideas). In most cases the Ni-Fe is a person strongly affected by the emotional climate of the external world, which can be internally amplified by the internal construct of patterns gleaned from the outside world. They analyze how people interact, how the inner systems of other people function, how their own system is part of the larger system of perceptions and people. They will come to conclusions about these external systems, what makes them healthy or unhealthy, the cause-and-effects interacting, but this doesn't necessarily translate into social action. It can, but the true nature of a Perceiver is to view and understand, to make sense of it the way it exists on its own, and then to translate that into the inner reality. Ni-Fe sees the subtext in human communication, it looks at patterns that lie beneath the surface and not the literal words spoken. It sees coherency or inconsistency between what is said, the subtext of what has been said, and the non-verbal cues. There is an awareness when these are authentically aligned or when they are in-congruent implying falseness. When understanding this, there is no tunnel vision, but what may be perceived as narrow focus from others is the small corridor between the inner and outer realities. There is no jumping to a quick conclusion because and ocean of analysis and interconnected observations are driving the conclusion on both a subconscious and conscious level.

There is some type of person that lives in the abstract, metaphorical, hypothetical, and imaginative aspect of reality. This isn't just having some type of inner vision one must impose on reality, some thought of the future, or even some intuitive leaps when analyzing information, which I think every human being possess, it is about an entire way of relating to the outside world that views it through a different lens.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is the MBTI version for your question, correct?

Yes, it is. I thought it would probably be best to separate the enneagram answers from the mbti. I even kind of wanted to break it down into different mbti types and add an instinct variant thread, but it seemed best to find out if anyone even responded to the group one first.

When the Ni-dom also has strong Fe as in the INFJ, I've read so many descriptions that say this means they will tell you what to do, or be socially forceful, reducing Ni to tunnel vision that jumps to intuitive conclusions that must act on reality.

Yeah. It's too bad there's no known way to harness the vitriol put into 'type' descriptions- by people of another type who grossly misunderstand the reasons for observable behavior- and turn it into fuel. We could save *a lot* of natural resources. Typo c could save the world.

It's kind of the purpose of making a thread (or video) of people explaining their own type though. I haven't gotten around to watching the video in the other thread (where this started), but I gather (from others' comments) it's just one more angry person inadvertently letting her anger fuel a biased 'type' description. 'It must be Thursday' here at typo c.

Anyway, I think people (except other FJs, who can see it for what it is) grossly misinterpret a lot of the behavior that fuels assumptions like that mentioned in the quote above.

Hopefully, at some point, I'll have a lengthier answer myself. I do agree with a lot of the stuff I didn't quote, and I don't even know how to immediately explain why/how. :laugh:

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If someone annoys the fuck out of me, they're probably an ISFJ.

Lol, I'm only half-joking. I dislike most of the ISFJs I know. Caveat is that they're usually older, like baby boomers and occasionally gen X.

I have a very dear ISFJ 2 friend who I adore (and she adores me). She's more of a "typical ISFJ" than I am (I think being double-withdrawn in enneagram and having social anxiety make me appear more ISTJ at times) and definitely an ISFJ, although when she took the MBTI she got ISTJ. She is bleeding Fe. Yet I go with ISFJ for her rather than ESFJ because I definitely think she's perceiving first.

Anyway, I absolutely suck at typing people and usually don't even try. But when I do recognize another ISFJ, it's usually in their initial approach. Slightly cautious, a little soft or effusive in communication style until they get more comfortable with you, which could go for all introverts really, but there's just a unique SiFe way about it that's hard to explain. It's like they try to appear more structured and textbook at first but when they realize you aren't a threat and won't harm them, they start to relax and dump more Fe on you.

They are some of the best and the worst people.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't know how to answer this either.

my first instincts suggest a careful sense of proportion and like a strange, unusual way of providing a recipe for understanding. an attempt to hold steady the center of something while, in a weird way, attempting to inhabit it. yet being distant in a way that the inhabiting act is of an it and not of a me, even if it's through me. infjs have a unique way of passing thru (tho this gets murky and starts to blur into e4 territory, bleeding away the focus).

there's other clues with mixed metaphors, movement qualities, a brand of cartoonishness (this weird boomerang-y backwards frisbee golf game), and enneagram + j disambiguation markers.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me it usually happens when someone does something or says something and I think, "That's exactly what I would do/say in that situation." For that reason, I'm probably more likely to recognize people with my MBTI/Enneagram combo (INTP 5w4) than INTPs with a different Enneagram, although that trademark INTP weird sense of humor is often a giveaway.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I mean, I can see isolated traits of myself in people that aren't my type, as people of many types can hold the same trait. And also, behavior isn't really indicative of type.

So me recognizing another person sharing the same mbti type as me ends up being trickier and I have to know them fairly well, or have interacted or worked with them enough to see what they're like under stress/when they're not optimal. Hear how they think about stuff or react to stuff. I'll often think someone's ISFx but then might take a bit of time to know which for sure. Or ISxP, but not positive.

I worked with another ISFP a year or so ago and I guess I saw the negatives that I try to not ever allow myself to reach. But it was kind of sobering because I saw what it could look like from the outside (whereas from my pov when I'm in that place I'm not at all feeling as much 'animosity' as it looks from the outside, I'm just in pure 'business'/get stuff done/efficiency mode, so it's not personal really - it can just come across personally on the outside even though it often isn't). So: I saw her being very directive, kind of blunt, I internally joked she came across like a 'barista nazi'. And I'm 100% aware that I can come across that way if I'm not in a good enough mood or am not able to do my job effectively. I'll just cut out all the niceties. It's nothing to do with not wanting to be nice or thinking I'm not being nice, it's just getting down to business/what I need to do. (And I am aware this is a huge, huge contrast with Fe and ISFJ's). I think Te edge/bluntness/efficiency can be a great distinguishing factor with Fe warmth. And it's in the work environment/'getting stuff done' that I see this in myself the most (contrast with my at-home mellow/more lazy persona). It's funny though (or not), because in contrast with this, ISFP's are generally incredibly laidback and can be super warm/soft/childlike. So FP definitely has a TJ side.

The other thing is that this blunt/efficiency element is different from organized Structure. What I mean is, I'm not referring to predictability/rules/procedures when I mention this. Because in the same environment, I can easily pick out J's and people who have a tendency to really try to control for everything and get really stressed when things become more chaotic. The J's will become more control-freakish or deer-in-headlights reaction. So that's another way I can see FJ's vs FP's.

Re ISFP vs ISTP, I think Fe in ISTP and ISFJ makes them more generally /diplomatically /all-inclusively warm to almost everyone (I'm again thinking of my work environment which is always interacting with customers). ISFP is more selectively warm. Directed towards specific individuals vs same-behavior-for-everyone. ISFP more nuanced/individualized/temperamental.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
NFJs are pretty rare, as our NJs in general. I can usually spot Fe doms quickly, but most of those are ESFJs.

So, feeling comfortable to decide someone is a NFJ is difficult, at times.

Overall, there are a combination of mannerisms, speech, and actions that easily appear to be a specific type. So, for the ENFJs, when I rarely encounter them. In every day life, there are just not that many ENFJs, especially ENFJ males, to encounter.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What characteristics or behavior in others leads you to believe you are dealing with someone of your own 'type'?

Are there ways in which 'mind reading' (better implicit understanding of what someone means, less misunderstanding of intentions; see: Theory of mind) happens effortlessly?

I look for a common outlook, a common flexibility, a common stubbornness. I dont really care if they agree or not with my opinion, judgement or perception. I am still learning the extent of similarities.