• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI Type Defining Videos

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The best approach to demonstrating the 16 types via video would be to have individuals who strongly identify as each type to discuss their type. By focusing on videoing individuals defining their own type, you can get a sense of how they process information, how they structure their language use, and how they use non-verbal communication in relationship to their use of word structure.

It would also be useful to show demographic diversity representing each type, so that we have both genders, various age categories, and cultures. I could see having libraries of videos connected to each type, and/or to create one final video for each type that includes perhaps four demographically diverse people answering some basic, defining questions. Perhaps five minutes of interview for each individual, so that you have a 20-30 minute video combining four+ individuals for each type. That way no one person is hijacking the concept, and it is more authentic by an order of magnitude because you also have examples of non-verbal communication and the actual thought processes expressed through language.

Step 1.
I propose establishing the best set of questions, which I recommend being somewhat open-ended to allow each function and type to demonstrate their interpretation of the concept. For example, "What do you value most?" or "What traits do you think are most important", "What behaviors do you dislike the most in people?", etc. Questions should demonstrate what people value and reject, how they solve a problem, how they relate to the future and to the past, etc. For this first step we would need to establish the set of questions, and ten should be enough if they are meaningful and representative of life.

Step 2
I propose accepting all videos that people are interested in creating, so that there is a wealth of material to draw from. This larger collection of videos could also be made available on youtube or elsewhere for someone wanting a comprehensive sense of a specific type. Someone brought up the question about the problems with mistyping, and yes, some people will submit videos that are mistyped, but for this step that is okay because it is gathering a large pool of data, which I suspect will statistically stabilize itself accurately even if there is some false data.

Step 3
For the final hybrid videos that combine four+ individuals of each type, these will be selected from the larger pool of videos. The process for selecting could either be member voting, or someone designated to be in charge could make these selections based on their knowledge of MBTI. And of course, more than one person could do this project, so there could even be more than one set of these videos. This is the type of project that benefits from a wealth of material as opposed to a tightly controlled presentation of material. I suspect the information will be more accurate when the pool of data is large, so you get a statistical representation.

I will be coming back to propose a list of questions, so please feel free to submit your questions as well.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Question suggestion: what characteristics or behavior in others leads you to believe you are dealing with someone of your own personality type?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really like your idea of accepting all videos, but then afterwards, having some form of selection / voting for which certain ones are compiled for each type.

This is because it's important to recognize that people in this community aren't necessarily resting in their final type, or they may be mistyped as others have mentioned. Also as you have pointed out before, and I agree, I believe there are those who are solidly 100% within one type, then lots of others who are more borderline across one or more types.

I think it would be cool to have a compilation of the 'super solid' types, but I also agree it's valuable to have everyone able to submit, since the reality is there's a big chunk of the population that isn't a super hardcore archetype of a type (well - imo).

My 2 cents.

á´…eparted

passages
I am glad to see this is going to be a thing! When the time comes I'll make a video for 1w2 since I do identify as one very strongly, and I fit it very well as well (if we end up doing enneagram). I might make one for ENFJ, but I hesitate there slightly since I am bit atypical for one and I'm not sure if I'd be the best example. I fit the type very well, but it's not entirely obvious until you know me well. I'll leave that one to others discretion if I should do one or not.

I like the idea of making one video for a type with multiple being shown in that video. I feel like it'd have more of an "official" capacity for typology central, and Highlander could likely make stickies with them or put them in wiki's. Individual videos wouldn't gather as much attention (though we'd have to start posing them as that so they can be screened and ultimately put together).

I don't think value questions are the best, TBH. Reason being is values tend to come from more moralistic standpoints, and I don't see them as being entirely consistent within a type. You can make it consistent, but that requires a lot of intentional framing and I feel like it'd skew the presentation and make it too cookie-cutter. Considering the functions involve intake of information, output of information, and the processing of that information, they should be framed from that standpoint. I have noticed the best distinctions of types tend to arise how they think through situations, and how easily they do so. As an Fe dom, I know how to navigate the social world really well, and I don't need to think about it much or use too much conscious effort with it. When I have talked to Te doms, they ways in which I do this tends to be confusing.

Essentially, we should develop questions that will frame strengths and weaknesses that come about from various functions. Maybe by giving individual scenarios, or prompting individuals to tell a story. What those questions would be I am not sure of.

The selecting of videos might be a bit tough for some types since there is a population skew here. We'll have to strongly keep in mind it's not a popularity contest. Individuals selected should be both good examples of their type and be well developed and as free of overal negative presentation/vibes (excessive ego, excessive depression, etc.).

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am glad to see this is going to be a thing! When the time comes I'll make a video for 1w2 since I do identify as one very strongly, and I fit it very well as well (if we end up doing enneagram). I might make one for ENFJ, but I hesitate there slightly since I am bit atypical for one and I'm not sure if I'd be the best example. I fit the type very well, but it's not entirely obvious until you know me well. I'll leave that one to others discretion if I should do one or not.

I like the idea of making one video for a type with multiple being shown in that video. I feel like it'd have more of an "official" capacity for typology central, and Highlander could likely make stickies with them or put them in wiki's. Individual videos wouldn't gather as much attention (though we'd have to start posing them as that so they can be screened and ultimately put together).

I don't think value questions are the best, TBH. Reason being is values tend to come from more moralistic standpoints, and I don't see them as being entirely consistent within a type. You can make it consistent, but that requires a lot of intentional framing and I feel like it'd skew the presentation and make it too cookie-cutter. Considering the functions involve intake of information, output of information, and the processing of that information, they should be framed from that standpoint. I have noticed the best distinctions of types tend to arise how they think through situations, and how easily they do so. As an Fe dom, I know how to navigate the social world really well, and I don't need to think about it much or use too much conscious effort with it. When I have talked to Te doms, they ways in which I do this tends to be confusing.

Essentially, we should develop questions that will frame strengths and weaknesses that come about from various functions. Maybe by giving individual scenarios, or prompting individuals to tell a story. What those questions would be I am not sure of.

The selecting of videos might be a bit tough for some types since there is a population skew here. We'll have to strongly keep in mind it's not a popularity contest. Individuals selected should be both good examples of their type and be well developed and as free of overal negative presentation/vibes (excessive ego, excessive depression, etc.).

I think these are all good points.

This also makes me think, in terms of questions, I really think it would be more beneficial to have more situational type questions. I don't think it's optimal to phrase questions in a cognitive function/dichotomy format --- meaning, I don't really want to hear/see people describe how they think they use Fi or Ni or Si or Te, or I/E N/S etc. I feel this could just turn into spitting out one one is 'supposed' to say, or just canned responses, rather than what I'd rather see or hear which is how a person is in their everyday life, how they actually think or decide or do or prioritize --- ie scrap the lingo and get to the heart of personality and describing ourselves naturally. :shrug: Though I understand if this defeats the purpose of the videos and what other people/most people would rather be seeing.

(Or if I do a video *I'll* do that and scrap lingo, lolz)

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds neat.
270c.png

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is a really excellent idea [MENTION=14857]labyrinthine[/MENTION] and I volunteer as ESTJ tribute.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If you provide questions, I'm down to do an ISFJ vid.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Question suggestion: what characteristics or behavior in others leads you to believe you are dealing with someone of your own personality type?
This question is brilliant because it addresses identity on a few levels. I think it should be included for this project, but would you also consider starting a thread on this forum for that question? I'd be curious to see the responses! 😊
Tag me in it if you do...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think these are all good points. This also makes me think, in terms of questions, I really think it would be more beneficial to have more situational type questions. I don't think it's optimal to phrase questions in a cognitive function/dichotomy format --- meaning, I don't really want to hear/see people describe how they think they use Fi or Ni or Si or Te, or I/E N/S etc. I feel this could just turn into spitting out one one is 'supposed' to say, or just canned responses, rather than what I'd rather see or hear which is how a person is in their everyday life, how they actually think or decide or do or prioritize --- ie scrap the lingo and get to the heart of personality and describing ourselves naturally. :shrug: Though I understand if this defeats the purpose of the videos and what other people/most people would rather be seeing. (Or if I do a video *I'll* do that and scrap lingo, lolz)
Excellent points! It would be good to have some sort of question addressing the inner world for some types. I think Ni is misunderstood because the focus is too external in defining it. You are right about regurgitation of cognitive function descriptions, so it would have to use a different approach. Perhaps a sub-question for "describe how you relate to the future" concept (needs rewording)
There should also be questions that present a problem that could be solved abstractly or concretely, another human interaction problem that could be solved either using logic and objectivity or values and empathy. It will take some time to design a balanced scenario for this, but I really want to try.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This question is brilliant because it addresses identity on a few levels. I think it should be included for this project, but would you also consider starting a thread on this forum for that question? I'd be curious to see the responses! ������
Tag me in it if you do...

My threads tend to flatline right quick, but I'd be happy to give it a go. I was thinking this morning how that question alone could fill a 15 minute video- especially if broken down into more specifics, like what kind of 'mind reading' (better implicit understanding of what someone means, less misunderstanding of intentions) happens effortlessly, etc.

(It might be a few days before I have time at my computer- not willing to type it out on phone.)

And +1 to casc's thing about regurgitating function explanations, or at least trying to rely on it less, because it really does so often only convolute things instead of clarifying.

Eta PostScript: good idea to make thread.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Will these videos be strictly identifying MBTI, or Enneatype also? If both, I'd like to know:

• Do you identify more with fellow Enneatypes with different MBTI or fellow MBTI with different Enneatypes? Why?

I also second Z Buck Mcfate's suggestion:

what characteristics or behavior in others leads you to believe you are dealing with someone of your own personality type?

Other potential questions:

• What advice do you have for typology newcomers who are struggling to identify their own type?
  • Which of your character traits do you feel most ambivalent about and why?
  • What is the most common kind of error you make and why?
  • What are some disparities between others' assessments of your character in relation to your own (self) assessment?

Last edited:

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Will these videos be strictly identifying MBTI, or Enneatype also? If both, I'd like to know:

• Do you identify more with fellow Enneatypes with different MBTI or fellow MBTI with different Enneatypes? Why?

I also second Z Buck Mcfate's suggestion:

Other potential questions:

• What advice do you have for typology newcomers who are struggling to identify their own type?
  • Which of your character traits do you feel most ambivalent about and why?
  • What is the most common kind of error you make and why?
  • Identify any disparities in others' assessments of your character in relation to your own (self) assessment.

Oh one more!

• Identify an MBTI "cousin" by choosing to replace one letter in your own type, and describe what you appreciate about that type.

(This suggestion is because of the sheer volume of negativity on typing sites, discussions, and videos regarding other types. It would be nice to see positive awareness being discussed about other types.)

Last edited:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is a really excellent idea [MENTION=14857]labyrinthine[/MENTION] and I volunteer as ESTJ tribute.
But . . . labyrinthine isn't an ESTJ.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But . . . labyrinthine isn't an ESTJ.
Yeah, I wouldn't venture to make a video of another type. :)

I've actually found it extremely confusing when other people make videos describing another type because the layers between the ideas presented, the way the language use is organized, and the non-verbal communication are completely out of sync. The last video I saw of someone negatively describing INFPs was especially confusing because I found the ideas inaccurate, but in that videos the ideas, language structure, and non-verbal cues were perfectly aligned. The confusing element is that the person was not accurately describing a type or accurately identifying their own type. Everything lined up except the formal classification of what was being presented. Videos make no sense unless the point is to be able to see all of those layers being expressed concurrently from a particular type. The presence of these second-hand type videos may actually be a core reason for a lot of confusion happening in the MBTI system.

neuskens

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
YES LET'S DO IT
What is our progress so far? What do we still need to do?

neuskens

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Who-who are you?

YOU CAN'T SIT WiTH US.

>Who< I am I'm not sure, but since we all are complex intertwined matter with limited duration in this pre Christ's second coming life, I was indeed hoping to be allowed a seat close to you. No biggies tho in case not :D

Last edited:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
>Who< I am I'm not sure, but since we all are complex intertwined matter with limited duration in this pre Christ's second coming life, I was indeed hoping to be allowed a seat close to you. No biggies tho in case not :D

Same as well for your little edit note ^^